News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

SOLVED!! Tailoring Standalone Backup File To Not Wipe Out Google Voice???

Started by A_Friend, July 05, 2018, 09:21:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

A_Friend

Am extremely frustrated by XMPP/SIP conversion of GV.  Can't figure out how to save my settings, connect to Obitalk portal, fix GV, and then restore all the other settings, other than manually one-by-one, including my 48 speed dials.

How does the .xml backup file work?  Does it wipe everything clean and then restore its settings, or does it only overwrite those fields that are included in the file leaving anything else untouched?

If the latter, has anyone worked out how to just remove references to ITSP A and SP1 and leave everything else alone?  I want a file I can "restore" to my 202 after getting GV working again, to put everything else back.

Ideally, if someone had made Obi Expert compatible with standalone backup files, this wouldn't be necessary.

drgeoff

Quote from: A_Friend on July 05, 2018, 09:21:14 PM
Can't figure out how to save my settings, connect to Obitalk portal, fix GV, and then restore all the other settings, other than manually one-by-one, including my 48 speed dials.
Try a different order:
1.  If not already done, register OBi device to portal.
2.  Import backup file into Expert mode.
3.  Delete the SP you will use for GV.
4.  Configure GV on the vacant SP.

A_Friend

I tried that.  Obi Expert "Restore" doesn't seem to like backup files made in standalone mode, if the "Restore" function works at all anymore.  I literally made a backup, registered on the portal, loaded the backup via Obi Expert, and...  nothing.  It says it worked ("The specified configuration has been imported successfully."), but there's no settings.  Nothing from the backup file shows in either the portal or the device's standalone management webpage.  Am I missing some additional step somewhere?

By the way, what's supposed to be the latest Firmware?  I seem to have 3.2.2 (Build: 5897EX) now, which I'm not certain but might be a slightly later version than the one I got yesterday morning which did work.

Peer RTP Address on calls is back to the one that didn't work anymore with the XMPP setup from two years ago:

74.125.39.26:19305(relay)

Is the Obitalk portal broken now?

azrobert

I'm making several changes to my OBi110 and I imported a backup to OBiTalk before enabling OBiTalk Provisioning. After OBiTalk downloaded the config, the digit maps and routes had the defaults on the device. The config on OBiTalk was changed and the modified settings had a red ! next to the Value. I had to uncheck the OBiTalk Setting box to the right of the modified values and Submit then the values on the device were changed. I did not have to do this to the ITSP Profile Name and some other values.

I don't remember having to this in the past and believe this is a bug.

Edit:
When I defined GV on SP1 in the recent past, OBiTalk modified several digit maps and routes (SP1, Phone Port and OBiTalk).  I can understand SP1, but not the others.

I just did the opposite. I deleted GV from SP1 and defined a SIP trunk. None of the above digit maps or routes were changed.

azrobert

A XML file will only change the setting specified, so I think you can do what you want (remove SP1 from the backup and import into OBiTalk). I copied a small (maybe 12 lines of code) XML sample post (not the actual file) into Notepad and modified it. When saving the file make sure you DON'T save it as a text file. This is my only experience modifying XML files and hesitate to give you advice. Maybe someone else can help you.

There are several examples of XML files on the forum. 
Here are some downloads:
http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=8434.0

A_Friend

I DID IT!!

Microsoft has just the tool for doing this, and it's free.  XML Notepad 2007.  You can download it from the official Microsoft website.

Here's what I did:  (In all cases, where I'm changing settings, I'm using a browser to the device 192.168.x.xxx, NOT Obi Expert)

1) Made backup copies of my settings.  (Don't select "Obi Version," you want the big compatible version.  Don't check any boxes.)
2) Downgraded the firmware from build 5897EX (the one with the Polycomm logo on its local webpage admin tool) to the one that worked the other morning, build 5859EX.
3) Turned on ObiTalk and Provisioning on the device.  Turned off Auto Firmware Update.
4) Logged into ObiTalk portal and added my device.  Turned off Auto Firmware Update again.
5) Added my Google Voice account.  Turned off Auto Firmware Update, again.
6) Made a quick test call to a number that I know didn't work under either XMPP or 5897EX.  It worked!
7) Turned off Auto Provisioning, ObiTalk, LUA Script Update, rebooted.
8) Deleted device from ObiTalk dashboard.
9) Edited saved xml file with XML Notepad 2007 in tree mode.  (This presumes your GV is on SP1.  You're going to delete everything associated with it.  Unlike the Admin menu, ITSP and SP are not separate things.  It's all together in the backup file.
    a) Search for "Google".  That will bring you to an object.  Delete that object.
    b) Click on the next object.  Unless it is for voice service 2, delete it.
    c) Keep going until you get to voice service 2.  You may recognize it by the name you assigned to the voice service.  But definitely by the number.  Don't delete it -- you're done now.
10) Save the file with a different name than the original backup file.  (You know, to be safe and all.)
11) Do the restore
12) Manually put back the passwords for SP2, SP3 and SP4.

That's it!  Reboot and all should be right with the world.

Now, I just need a little courage to do this again, this time with the 202 that runs my real telephone world.  I'm glad I had the 200 around to play with, but it's not the important one, just a spare plaything.

GPz1100

Just so you know, there's a few hidden entries that don't get backed up, which are required for google voice functionality.  You can review the xml file the modded firmware uses that shows some of these (obifirmware.com). The settings for the google voice credentials are part of it.  What this means, if you should factory reset the device at some point, you'll still need to use the obiportal to provision it before google voice will work.