News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Google Voice one-way-audio fix

Started by SteveInWA, July 06, 2018, 10:52:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteveInWA

I just received confirmation from Polycom that the patch that was pushed out to OBiTALK 200 series ATAs today is to fix the one-way-audio issue.  Since I never experienced it myself, I can't confirm it fixes everything for everyone, but if you have removed your device(s) from the OBiTALK portal, add them back to get the patch. 

There is no point to fiddling with the various System Management-->Auto Firmware Update settings.  As long as the device is added to the portal, it should get the update.  Note that the default OBiTALK setting for Auto Firmware Update is "Disabled", with no firmware URL specified.  The device will still receive the new firmware.  The rest of the settings on the System Management page are for service-provider-managed devices only (e.g. for businesses that use devices provided by and managed by an ITSP).

The patched build is 3.2.2 (Build: 5898EX)

Engineering

My device was also patched and since then I can confirm one-way audio is fixed. But the firmware on my device was downgraded to 3.2.2 (Build: 5859EX).

SteveInWA

Quote from: Engineering on July 06, 2018, 11:44:33 PM
My device was also patched and since then I can confirm one-way audio is fixed. But the firmware on my device was downgraded to 3.2.2 (Build: 5859EX).

Think about it:  your device had been updated to the failing firmware.  Your device was then downgraded to the previous version, which did not have the bug introduced.  The bug was fixed.  Now, let the portal upgrade it to the current firmware.

I expect that there will be more bug fixes rolling out at a faster pace than in the past, to keep up with newly discovered issues with OBiTALK devices on Google Voice.  It's best to just let the portal keep your device updated.

Engineering

As of now the firmware in my box is not updated to 5898EX but will keep an eye out.

In any case, rolling out new firmware automatically with such a blatant bug is not exactly increasing my trust in the whole process. I understand they are in a transition phase with all the GV changes, but still, this should have been tested better.

zsak23

I used ***9 to reboot my OBi200 and received the new firmware after confirming it was still at 5897EX.

Engineering

Confirming that I've been updated to 5898EX in the meantime now, too. Still working ...  ;)

RFC3261

Quote from: SteveInWA on July 06, 2018, 10:52:43 PM
Since I never experienced it myself, I can't confirm it fixes everything for everyone
I never experienced the problem either.  This suggests that the issue was related to certain network setups.  Perhaps one (or more) gateways or providers that required a work around for some (presumably now well understood) issue.  Fixing *everything* is likely a bridge too far given that individuals and providers still have the power to create extremely convoluted solutions.

dlehtin

The device OBi(212) updated to 3.2.2 (Build: 5898EX) Incoming and outbound call worked but when I called my GV from my cell phone it came up "UNKNOWN CALLER".   

SteveInWA

Quote from: SteveInUS on July 07, 2018, 11:12:53 AM
On all my 4 OBi200's with GoogleVoice

3.2.2 (Build: 5859EX) - Works fine, no audio issues. :)
3.2.2 (Build: 5897EX) - Does not work - I do not get dial tone. ???
3.2.2 (Build: 5898EX) - Does not work - I do not get dial tone. ???

I reverted back to 3.2.2 (Build: 5859EX) but they keep updating it back to 3.2.2 (Build: 5898EX)

not sure why obihai/polycom auto deploys untested firmware and causes us pain.
even with new acquisition the trend has not changed.  :'(

There is no known firmware issue related to no dial tone.  You have some other problem.  You should be able to delete your OBiTALK device off of the portal, unplug the power and Ethernet cables, then plug in just the power cable, then, after it boots up, pick up the phone and key in ***8 then 1 to restore it to factory defaults.  After doing that, even with no Ethernet cable plugged in, you should get a dial tone when you pick up the phone.  If you don't then you have a hardware failure, either in the OBiTALK device (and it's power supply) itself, or in the attached telephone or phone cord.

drgeoff

Quote from: SteveInUS on July 08, 2018, 08:28:34 AM
Quote from: SteveInWA on July 07, 2018, 05:21:20 PM
There is no known firmware issue related to no dial tone.  You have some other problem.  You should be able to delete your OBiTALK device off of the portal, unplug the power and Ethernet cables, then plug in just the power cable, then, after it boots up, pick up the phone and key in ***8 then 1 to restore it to factory defaults.  After doing that, even with no Ethernet cable plugged in, you should get a dial tone when you pick up the phone.  If you don't then you have a hardware failure, either in the OBiTALK device (and it's power supply) itself, or in the attached telephone or phone cord.

I deleted the obi200's from obitalk. They reset themselves and rebooted.
I had them reset again manually using the reset button and added them back to obitalk, configured googlevoice, still same issue no dial tone.
They had 3.2.2 (Build: 5898EX) on them.
These are the serial numbers of my OBi200's
88F01NA00DL3
88F01NAZYMLI
88F01NAZZ85H
88F01NAZZ6WQ
For now I have disabled the obitalk provisioning and uploaded 3.2.2 (Build: 5859EX) and everything is working again.
Whenever I see a new version reported on this forum, I will enable the obitalk provisioning and verify again if its fixed.
You appear to be saying that you deleted OBis with no dial tone from the portal, added them back, configured GV and they still had no dial tone.

How were you able to dial the **5xxxx to add them back to the portal?

transam98

Do you know if there is a new FW for the 508's ? same problem no audio on otherside of outgoing call....

volkswagner

There are several threads on this topic for various hardware.

I just wanted to chime in here incase the powers to be at Polycom/Obihai are listening.
It seems this is Google messing with things, because the symptom has come up
on my FreePBX server running Google Motif module. The one way audio occurs only
on outbound calls, inbound works two way.

I hope this helps to get things fixed.

FYI, the issue showed it's ugly head on Tuesday 7/10/2018.