News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Replacing Simon Google Voice Gateway with Obihai Adapter - which one?

Started by ppan, July 08, 2018, 04:36:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ppan

I have been using Simons GV gateway with two phone adapters (Linksys SPA3102 & SPA3102) and a two-line analogue phone.
Since the gateway will soon cease to work, I need to find another solution. I wonder if I can use an Obihai device without or together with my current two adapters to give me the same functionality as I currently have?:

Phone Line 1 (SPA3102):
Incoming Calls: Google Voice #1 and SIP1 (CallCentric #1) and SIP2 (CallCenteric #2)
Outgoing Calls - Phone Port: Google Voice #1
Outgoing Calls - Voice Gateway: Various SIP Providers (e.g. Dial #1 for Provider 1 etc) 

Phone Line  2 (SPA2102)
Incoming Calls: SIP2 (CallCentric #2)
Outgoing Calls - Phone Port: "Google Chat". I use a Google account, which doesn't have a GV number, to make "anonymous" calls. 

Dial Plans
SPA3102 (phone port): It dials the phone number to my 911-provider (bulkvs.com) when I dial "911" with my registered Goggle Voice #1. It also skips the area code for local calls etc.
SPA2102: It skips the area code for local calls etc.

Which Obihai device do I need to purchase to have the above functionality? If needed, I could combine it with my current Linksys adapters.
Any instructions somewhere on how to set this up?

Thank you  so much in advance!

SteveInWA

The OBi 202 is an ATA that supports four independent Service Provider (SP) configurations (e.g. any combination of Google Voice and/or Callcentric).  It has two physical phone ports (female modular phone jacks).  Depending on the type of connections on your two-line telephone, you can either use a 4-conductor, RJ-14 cable, plugged into the PHONE 1 jack or 2, 2-conductor RJ-11 cables, one plugged into each of the two jacks.  PHONE 1's outer two pins are electrically connected to the two center pins on the PHONE 2 jack, to make this possible.

What you refer to as "Google Chat" is now simply Google Voice over SIP.  Chat (XMPP) is being shut down.

drgeoff

In addition to the 4 inbound+outbound Service Providers on the OBI2xx models all OBis have 8 Voice Gateways which can provide outbound calling via SIP Providers who permit calling without registration.

And all OBis have AutoAttendant.

ppan

Thanks for the responses! I just want to make sure that I will be able to configure the Obi202 according to my current setup.

For example, currently on Line 2, Callcentric is forwarding the incoming calls to the SIP URI of Simons GV, while outgoing calls are sent to my Goggle account which does not have a Goggle Voice number (for anonymous calling).

Thus, on Obi202, Line 2:
Can it be assigned a SIP URI and receive an incoming SIP call while it is also configured to make outgoing calls to my Google account (which doesn't have a Google voice number)?
Alternatively,
Can I connect it to the SIP URI of Callcentric for incoming calls while it is also connected to my Google account for making outgoing calls?  

Is there an instruction manual that I can download to see how I would set this up?

drgeoff

Quote from: ppan on July 10, 2018, 04:09:35 PM
Thanks for the responses! I just want to make sure that I will be able to configure the Obi202 according to my current setup.

For example, currently on Line 2, Callcentric is forwarding the incoming calls to the SIP URI of Simons GV, while outgoing calls are sent to my Goggle account which does not have a Goggle Voice number (for anonymous calling).

Thus, on Obi202, Line 2:
Can it be assigned a SIP URI and receive an incoming SIP call while it is also configured to make outgoing calls to my Google account (which doesn't have a Google voice number)?
Alternatively,
Can I connect it to the SIP URI of Callcentric for incoming calls while it is also connected to my Google account for making outgoing calls?

Is there an instruction manual that I can download to see how I would set this up?
Yes you can have the OBi respond to SIP calls to its IP address but that may need configuring of your router and/or a firewall. And it increases your vulnerability to SIP scanners.

But why do you want that instead of the conventional SIP registration to an ITSP?

ppan

Quote from: drgeoff on July 10, 2018, 04:20:00 PM

Thus, on Obi202, Line 2:
Alternatively,

Yes you can have the OBi respond to SIP calls to its IP address but that may need configuring of your router and/or a firewall. And it increases your vulnerability to SIP scanners.

But why do you want that instead of the conventional SIP registration to an ITSP?
I don't need to have OBi respond to SIP calls. That was the 1st alternative (and the way that I have it setup currently with the Simons GV).

The 2nd alternative was to do a conventional SIP registration on Line 2 and, at the same time, route outgoing calls to my Google account (which does not have a Google Voice number).

In other words, configure Line 2 independently for two different providers for incoming/outgoing calls (SIP/GVSIP). Is that possible?

Also, to make sure, would it be an issue that the Google account doesn't have Google voice number (it works fine with Simons GV)

p.s. Is there an instruction manual that I can download to see how I would set this up?

drgeoff

Quote from: ppan on July 10, 2018, 05:05:40 PM
Quote from: drgeoff on July 10, 2018, 04:20:00 PM

Thus, on Obi202, Line 2:
Alternatively,

I don't need to have OBi respond to SIP calls. That was the 1st alternative (and the way that I have it setup currently with the Simons GV).

The 2nd alternative was to do a conventional SIP registration on Line 2 and, at the same time, route outgoing calls to my Google account (which does not have a Google Voice number).

In other words, configure Line 2 independently for two different providers for incoming/outgoing calls (SIP/GVSIP). Is that possible?

Also, to make sure, would it be an issue that the Google account doesn't have Google voice number (it works fine with Simons GV)

p.s. Is there an instruction manual that I can download to see how I would set this up?
Terminology problem.  There are no "lines".

The phone ports are NOT hard linked to Service Providers.  Either or both phone ports can be configured to ring on an incoming call.  That setting is independently programmable for each SP. For outgoing calls each phone port is independently programmable which SP will be used.  That outbound routeing can be programmed to select any one of the SPs depending on the digits dialled.

Yes you can use with GV accounts which do not have a DID.

Feast on https://www.obitalk.com/info/documents/admin_guide/OBiDeviceAdminGuide.pdf

ppan

I went ahead and purchased the Obi202. When setting this up using the web-portal, I had to use up my SP1-SP4 right away. I wonder if there is an alternative way, like I did it with Simon Google Voice Gateway.

For example, the gateway connected me to Google Voice Outgoing/Incoming calls on Phone 1. At the same time, I forwarded call from CallCentric to the SIP URI of the gateway.

With Obi202, I had to use SP3 & SP4: SP3 for Google Voice and SP4 for CallCentric; both ringing Phone 1. To save SP4, is it possible to somehow forward CallCentric calls to SP3 instead; e.g. can SP3 have a SIP URI?