News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

every day, OBI loses registration

Started by rkleemann, July 09, 2018, 10:49:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rkleemann

I don't know how to tell which firmware version I have. All I know is that when I installed a couple of weeks ago, it had to do the automatic download of latest version in order for it to register correctly

But now everyday I will get a series of alert emails that the device is not registered. Sometimes after many automatic retries it registers. But every day I end up with a de-registered OBI200. I get these repeated email alerts:

Service Offline Alert -- OBi Device (xxxxx) is Not Registered

Your voice service is not registering. This could be due to a temporary service disruption or an incorrect login credential.
In most cases, reconfiguring the voice service with the proper login credential will resolve the issue.

If I power cycle the device then it connects correctly

drgeoff

It isn't a good idea to reveal your OBi's number on a public forum.

rkleemann

Quote from: drgeoff on July 09, 2018, 03:56:33 PM
It isn't a good idea to reveal your OBi's number on a public forum.

Thank you.

In any case, is anyone else having de-registration issues? any ideas how to address this?

SteveInWA

All we can tell from the symptom you describe, is that the OBiTALK portal is warning you that it cannot contact your device.  This doesn't mean that whatever Internet Telephone Service Provider you're using is going offline or not working.  If you have done anything to customize the system management parameters on the OBi device, such as disabling connection to the OBiTALK server, then that would explain it.

There are too many other possibilities, to be able to definitively point to one cause.  Typically, in a properly working setup, you would not receive this message unless your internet service went down for more than a few minutes.  So, you may have unreliable internet service, or you could have an issue with the LAN equipment and cabling going to the device, or it could be a bad power connection.  Next time you receive the notice, immediately look at the device, to see if the LEDs are on.  The middle LED should be periodically blinking.  If it isn't, the device has a problem reaching your network.  If it is blinking, pick up the phone and attempt to call **9 222 222 222 and listen for the "Welcome to OBiTALK..." message.  If you don't hear it, the device lost connection to the OBiTALK service.

rkleemann

Quote from: SteveInWA on July 10, 2018, 12:40:10 PM
All we can tell from the symptom you describe, is that the OBiTALK portal is warning you that it cannot contact your device.  This doesn't mean that whatever Internet Telephone Service Provider you're using is going offline or not working.  If you have done anything to customize the system management parameters on the OBi device, such as disabling connection to the OBiTALK server, then that would explain it.

There are too many other possibilities, to be able to definitively point to one cause.  Typically, in a properly working setup, you would not receive this message unless your internet service went down for more than a few minutes.  So, you may have unreliable internet service, or you could have an issue with the LAN equipment and cabling going to the device, or it could be a bad power connection.  Next time you receive the notice, immediately look at the device, to see if the LEDs are on.  The middle LED should be periodically blinking.  If it isn't, the device has a problem reaching your network.  If it is blinking, pick up the phone and attempt to call **9 222 222 222 and listen for the "Welcome to OBiTALK..." message.  If you don't hear it, the device lost connection to the OBiTALK service.

Thanks, I appreciate your suggestions.

I'm using Google Voice, and I haven't done anything to the OBI other than the standard registration through the OBItalk.com dashboard. What I do notice is that the third LED (rightmost) does go off, and I think the other 2 blinking

I'm guessing probably some flakiness on my home network.

thanks again

rkleemann

Giving some more thought to this, I really don't see how my home network would be so flaky, so I'm really puzzled.

The network/wifi isn't flaky, I can easily watch movies and stream on the laptops no problem. I can stream content like Netflix on the TV.

So even if there are some "glitches" it's certainly not anything frequent. But my OBI200 will not stay with 3 lights for a long time. I have the left and middle lights on, the leftmost blinks, the middle one is mostly solid but blinks sometimes rapidly, sometimes slowly. But the rightmost light is off.

If the OBI attempts to re-connect and register, and my network is fine, why does it behave this way?

rkleemann

Any suggestions, please, on how I can troubleshoot this?

I'm typically not home when the registration attempts happen, when the OBI goes offline, etc.

It will just disconnect and reconnect throughout the day. I have so far seen no evidence of network problems or outage to it, but it would be nice for me to understand how else I can look at this.

Is there any command I can send through the phone to confirm configuration? I don't understand why the OBI seems to have network issues when everything else on my home network seem just fine.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

thank you!

SteveInWA

One suggestion would be to take your OBi device somewhere else (friend or relative's home, or to work), and see if the problem continues or if it goes away.  That would pinpoint whether or not it's a network problem.

rkleemann

Quote from: SteveInWA on July 12, 2018, 06:11:24 PM
One suggestion would be to take your OBi device somewhere else (friend or relative's home, or to work), and see if the problem continues or if it goes away.  That would pinpoint whether or not it's a network problem.

Good suggestion, thank you!

The device just went online a couple of minutes ago, all 3 lights are on. Is there something I can look at?

SteveInWA

If it's now online, and it works (until the next time it doesn't work), then that's a good sign, I suppose.  There's nothing much to look at, aside from confirming that the device is able to place and receive calls.

If you can leave it somewhere else for a while and see what happens, that's what I'd do next.  Someone else may have a brilliant idea.