News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Codec Behavior Change With 5898EX??

Started by A_Friend, July 09, 2018, 01:23:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

A_Friend

Managed to get my stuff restored to my Obi202, and everything was back to normal-ish, except for one voip.ms subaccount.  Another one on the same device was fine.

I hadn't been connected to the ObiTalk portal since 5757EX, and wouldn't have except I didn't have any choice after Google dropped XMPP and GV stopped working.

So, I hadn't changed anything on the voip.ms portal, either, and that sub-account only had g729 selected as a codec, but it worked perfectly.  (There aren't any SP settings for codecs on the device itself.)  But with the new firmware, it wouldn't complete calls anymore.  (The error code was 488.)  The help desk at voip.ms spotted the codec problem right away, had me select g711u for that subaccount on their portal, and that fixed it right up.

Is this behavior change documented anywhere?  Was it expected with the firmware upgrade?

drgeoff

Are you saying that G.729 had been deselected on the OBi either by the firmware change or by the portal's errant ways?  Or are you saying that the G.729 implementation in the 5898 firmware does not work (even if enabled)?

RFC3261

Quote from: drgeoff on July 09, 2018, 03:54:04 PM
Or are you saying ....
that the negotiation to select a viable common codec among the proposed choices fails?

PCM (G.711) tends to be the one codec that is supported across the board, and should almost always be in the list of proposed viable codecs.

A_Friend

Dr. Geoff:  No.  I'm saying that for whatever reason, I had ONLY selected g729 on that voip.ms subaccount, and that it used to work in the old firmware.  (I don't know if the old firmware actually obeyed the choice or managed g711u somehow anyway, even if it wasn't selected.)  All I know is that after the firmware push, it stopped working. 

To fix it was simple.  I just had to go into the voip.ms portal and click g711u into the allowed codecs.

Just curious how it used to manage to work with that "wrong" setting, and what might have changed in the firmware that disabled that.

As for anyone else who might be affected, you'll get an error 488 message when your call fails.  Just check your carrier's codec settings and make sure g711u is in the permitted list.