News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Obi wifi

Started by gqaa, July 10, 2018, 05:57:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gqaa

are calls supposed to be clear with obi wifi?!

drgeoff

Quote from: gqaa on July 10, 2018, 05:57:05 AM
are calls supposed to be clear with obi wifi?!
Call quality should be the same with OBiWIFI as when the OBi is connected by ethernet cable.

gqaa

even if i am using a hotspot device (mifi)?

drgeoff

Quote from: gqaa on July 10, 2018, 07:17:01 AM
even if i am using a hotspot device (mifi)?

The OBiWiFi is completely dependent on 1) adequate IP packet transmission performance between the hotspot device and the internet and 2) adequate IP packet transmission between the hotspot device and the OBiWIFI.

The second of those should not be a problem as all the factors influencing it are completely under your control.

My answer to your initial question was from the standpoint that the OBi ATA sends and expects to receive exactly the same audio data in the same IP packets irrespective of being connected by OBiWIFI or ethernet cable.

gqaa

if so why am i having a very unclear line?

drgeoff

Quote from: gqaa on July 10, 2018, 08:02:50 AM
if so why am i having a very unclear line?
"Unclear line" is completely uninformative.

if the "unclear line" is due to the quality of your ATA's connection to the internet then either or both of my 1) and 2) above is/are pertinent.

If you think problem is with your ITSP or between your ITSP and the called or calling party try the echo test.  Dial **9 222 222 222.  How is the quality of you own voice coming back to you?

gqaa

it works well with the ecco test but when i am in a call it could be very clear for a few min and then it could become cracky and we cant hear each other

SteveInWA

drgeoff's answer applies to a WiFi connection that is stable and capable of supporting low-latency, low-jitter, low-dropout connections.  A MiFi connected to a mobile phone network is likely to be unable to do that on any consistent basis.  The mobile phone network uses voice CODECs that can tolerate some signal depredation.  Think about the mobile phone calls you make over a weak connection, where the sound quality varies considerably, and may drop out frequently.  The call sounds crappy, but you can still make do.  OBiTALK devices use a CODEC (which was designed for stable, hardwired connections) that can't cope with those signal quality issues.