News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

forward gv calls

Started by gqaa, July 10, 2018, 07:19:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gqaa

can i forward my google voice calls through my obi202

drgeoff

Quote from: gqaa on July 10, 2018, 07:19:27 AM
can i forward my google voice calls through my obi202
What exactly do you want to accomplish?

gqaa

that when i am not home my calls should be forwarded to my cell phone

drgeoff

Quote from: gqaa on July 10, 2018, 07:53:18 AM
that when i am not home my calls should be forwarded to my cell phone
You do that by having your cellphone as one of the forwarding destinations in your GV account settings.  Nothing to do with your OBi.

gqaa

i want my google voice only to call my obi as a landline but once in a while when i leave and expecting a call i would like to forward to my cell (and besides i tried to link gv with my cell but did not work).
So is there a way i could forward my obi calls that works through gv to my cell?

A_Friend

Yes.  There are a couple of ways to do this.

One is use the star code for forwarding.
*72 Call Forward All
*82 Call Forward on No Answer
etc.

The other is to code the SP line via the web interface.
If you look under Calling Features in the settings, you'll see all the options.  Just check the one you want and decide which line you want the call sent out with, and include the exact, full number of the destination.  This field will not be interpreted by any digit maps, just processed literally.

So, for example, if you want the incoming call on SP1 to go out on SP2 to the toll free information line, you'd put this in the destination number field:
SP2(18005551212)
Considering you generally get two sessions on each SP, you could probably send it out on the same SP it's coming in on.

Good luck.

GPz1100

^^Are you confident the original caller's caller id is maintained when the call is forwarded (either on the same SP or different SP)?

gqaa

Could you pls take me through the process how to code the SP line via the web interface.

A_Friend

Quote from: gqaa on July 10, 2018, 09:47:23 AM
Could you pls take me through the process how to code the SP line via the web interface.

Why don't you just use the star codes?  They accomplish the same thing and you won't blow anything up.

I'm currently mad at the ObiTalk portal, and a number of very senior users here are mad at me for being mad at the portal.  So, I'm biased and you really don't want to ask me about fiddling your settings.  There are problems with AutoProvisioning if you try to use the local web interface to change settings.  AutoProvisioning can randomly change things back.  There are problems with shutting off AutoProvisioning, and whatever you do, don't try deleting your device from the portal before turning off AutoProvisioning and ObiTalk first, rebooting, and making sure it stays off.  But then, you'll be entirely on your own, like me, and you can't add it back to the portal without it getting blown up and you needing a factory reset and having to start over.  Actually, if you isolate your device by shutting off AutoProvisioning and ObiTalk, and whatever that LUA Script thing is, you don't need to delete your device from the portal.  Just leave it.   And you can forget being able to restore a backup.  That doesn't seem to work right anymore.

So, long story short:  leave it alone.  Just use the star codes.

gqaa

ok thanks for your advice.
How do i cancel the call forwarding from the *82?

A_Friend

OOOPS!  It's not *82, it's *62.

I plead eyestrain, or maybe brainstrain!

ALL the star codes are listed in the Device Admin Guide:  https://www.obitalk.com/info/documents/admin_guide/OBiDeviceAdminGuide.pdf

So, it's *62 to set Call Forward On No Answer
and it's *63 to disable it.

Apologies about the wrong code in my previous messages.

A_Friend

Quote from: GPz1100 on July 10, 2018, 09:34:13 AM
^^Are you confident the original caller's caller id is maintained when the call is forwarded (either on the same SP or different SP)?

I had no idea one way or the other, but I just ran a test and it looks like the caller ID is not passed along.  The destination phone is getting the caller ID of the relaying service.  Which might seem like a total loss, but there is one thing.  You'd at least know it was a relayed call from your home phone.

drgeoff

Quote from: A_Friend on July 10, 2018, 03:24:54 PM
Quote from: GPz1100 on July 10, 2018, 09:34:13 AM

I had no idea one way or the other, but I just ran a test and it looks like the caller ID is not passed along.  The destination phone is getting the caller ID of the relaying service.  Which might seem like a total loss, but there is one thing.  You'd at least know it was a relayed call from your home phone.
Depends on whether the ITSP used to forward from the OBi permits spoofing. GV is one which does not.

gqaa

It does seem to work by me.
what happens is that when i tried calling only my hangouts was calling and then went straight to gv voice mail
and my Obi and forwarded phone did not ring at all!

gqaa

Quote from: gqaa on July 12, 2018, 05:15:43 AM
what happens is that when i tried calling only my hangouts was calling and then went straight to gv voice mail
sorry i meant to say that it it does NOT work!

A_Friend

Quote from: drgeoff on July 10, 2018, 03:58:37 PM
Depends on whether the ITSP used to forward from the OBi permits spoofing. GV is one which does not.

I couldn't get it to work with voip.ms, either, and voip.ms is very liberal about CID spoofing.  So, something might be getting swallowed by this version of the firmware.  I'm not sure if it worked before.  I was using my 200 to relay GV calls to a DID I had set up an IVR on in voip.ms to screen out advertising calls.  I never thought to check if the CID was being passed through, as I had never given out the number and wasn't expecting any legit calls.  Since everything got blown away with the XMPP==>SIP conversion on both boxes, I haven't set that up again, and in the days since, I don't seem to be getting spam calls on the GV line, so I don't think I need it again.

gqaa

Quote from: gqaa on July 12, 2018, 05:27:36 AM
Quote from: gqaa on July 12, 2018, 05:15:43 AM
sorry i meant to say that it it does NOT work!
Can anyone help me with this?!

A_Friend

Are you calling from any of your linked numbers?  If so, that might explain the straight-to-voicemail thing. It seems to be a bug/feature of GV.

SteveInWA

Ignore the A_Friend advice above.  Per DrGeoff's comment, Google Voice is designed for this purpose, with no need to use any settings on your OBi, nor any star codes.

Just link (add) your mobile phone number as a forwarding phone, to your Google Voice number, here:

https://voice.google.com/settings

Google Voice is specifically designed to simultaneously forward inbound calls to all of the following destinations:

• All linked, 10-digit, US telephone numbers
  • All linked OBiTALK devices
  • All Google Hangouts clients on web browsers or on the Android or iOS mobile apps
  • All web browser or Android clients if you are enrolled in the Google Voice WiFi/4G VoIP calling beta

There is no cost to just leaving your mobile phone linked as a forwarding phone.  If you don't want to listen to it ring when you are at home, then you can turn off forwarding to that number by toggling the switch off in Google Voice settings, then toggle it on again if you want it to work again while you are away.

gqaa

Quote from: A_Friend on July 16, 2018, 11:02:39 AM
Are you calling from any of your linked numbers?  If so, that might explain the straight-to-voicemail thing. It seems to be a bug/feature of GV.
Its just my Obi that does not ring but all other google voice linked devices do ring and the call does not get fowarded.