News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

forward gv calls

Started by gqaa, July 10, 2018, 07:19:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gqaa

Quote from: SteveInWA on July 16, 2018, 03:15:11 PM
Ignore the A_Friend advice above.  Per DrGeoff's comment, Google Voice is designed for this purpose, with no need to use any settings on your OBi, nor any star codes.

Just link (add) your mobile phone number as a forwarding phone, to your Google Voice number, here:

https://voice.google.com/settings

Google Voice is specifically designed to simultaneously forward inbound calls to all of the following destinations:

• All linked, 10-digit, US telephone numbers
  • All linked OBiTALK devices
  • All Google Hangouts clients on web browsers or on the Android or iOS mobile apps
  • All web browser or Android clients if you are enrolled in the Google Voice WiFi/4G VoIP calling beta

There is no cost to just leaving your mobile phone linked as a forwarding phone.  If you don't want to listen to it ring when you are at home, then you can turn off forwarding to that number by toggling the switch off in Google Voice settings, then toggle it on again if you want it to work again while you are away.
as i explained this forwarding number is not compatible with google voice because it does not support SMS

SteveInWA

Quote from: gqaa on July 16, 2018, 06:52:30 PM
Ignore the A_Friend advice above.  Per DrGeoff's comment, Google Voice is designed for this purpose, with no need to use any settings on your OBi, nor any star codes.

Just link (add) your mobile phone number as a forwarding phone, to your Google Voice number, here:

Google Voice is specifically designed to simultaneously forward inbound calls to all of the following destinations:

• All Google Hangouts clients on web browsers or on the Android or iOS mobile apps
  • All web browser or Android clients if you are enrolled in the Google Voice WiFi/4G VoIP calling beta

There is no cost to just leaving your mobile phone linked as a forwarding phone.  If you don't want to listen to it ring when you are at home, then you can turn off forwarding to that number by toggling the switch off in Google Voice settings, then toggle it on again if you want it to work again while you are away.
as i explained this forwarding number is not compatible with google voice because it does not support SMS

There is no such limitation.  What do you mean?

Google Voice can forward telephone calls to nearly all US telephone numbers, either mobile or land line, as long as the number has working phone service on it.  Google Voice can forward text messages to nearly all US mobile numbers.  You can have up to six mobile and/or land line telephone numbers, in any combination, linked as forwarding phone numbers.

gqaa

Quote from: gqaa on July 18, 2018, 03:14:47 PM
Quote from: SteveInWA on July 16, 2018, 07:30:28 PM
Quote from: gqaa on July 16, 2018, 06:52:30 PM
Ignore the A_Friend advice above.  Per DrGeoff's comment, Google Voice is designed for this purpose, with no need to use any settings on your OBi, nor any star codes.

I hear what you are saying but for some reason my number would not work through its verification process so my question is can i forward it through my obi??

There is no cost to just leaving your mobile phone linked as a forwarding phone.  If you don't want to listen to it ring when you are at home, then you can turn off forwarding to that number by toggling the switch off in Google Voice settings, then toggle it on again if you want it to work again while you are away.

There is no such limitation.  What do you mean?

Google Voice can forward telephone calls to nearly all US telephone numbers, either mobile or land line, as long as the number has working phone service on it.  Google Voice can forward text messages to nearly all US mobile numbers.  You can have up to six mobile and/or land line telephone numbers, in any combination, linked as forwarding phone numbers.
I hear what you are saying but for some reason my number does not work through the GV verification process so my question is if i can forward calls through my obi device??[/list]

SteveInWA

Your posts about the forwarding number make no sense.

You can add and verify nearly any US land line or mobile number.  If that procedure doesn't work, then post a reply describing in detail how you tried to add and verify the number, and exactly what happened.

gqaa

Quote from: SteveInWA on July 18, 2018, 03:43:04 PM

You can add and verify nearly any US land line or mobile number.  If that procedure doesn't work, then post a reply describing in detail how you tried to add and verify the number, and exactly what happened.
When linking a number to google voice it has to be verified.
google sends a 6 digit code to the phone and it could work through sms or a call my number does not receive sms so i chose call but i dont get the call... so i cant verify!

SteveInWA

Quote from: gqaa on July 18, 2018, 04:00:34 PM
Quote from: SteveInWA on July 18, 2018, 03:43:04 PM

When linking a number to google voice it has to be verified.
google sends a 6 digit code to the phone and it could work through sms or a call my number does not receive sms so i chose call but i dont get the call... so i cant verify!

What carrier are you using for this number?

gqaa

its a forwarding number by Sonetel

SteveInWA

That's not an ordinary carrier phone number.  It's a virtual (forwarding) number.  Google Voice is not designed to link to numbers like that.  It is not going to work reliably if you try some workaround.

Use some other VoIP telephone service provider, not Google Voice.

gqaa

Thats why i am asking if there is any way that i can forward through the Obi?

SteveInWA

For the love of God, it's not going to work properly, as it will confuse Google Voice's own call forwarding design.  Google Voice is not a bare-bones, "free telephone company".  If you just want a phone number that forwards elsewhere, give out the Sonitel number instead, and use it like Google Voice to forward calls to other numbers.

Or, get as many US inbound phone numbers as you want, from a bare-bones SIP VoIP service provider, and set up those numbers on your OBi.

gqaa

so can you give me any suggestions on how i can forward google voice to an international country?
because thats the reason i got the virtual (forwarding) number.

SteveInWA

Don't use Google Voice.  You're attempting to do something that it is not designed to do.

Use your Sonetel number instead, or get a number from a SIP VoIP service provider like Callcentric or voip.ms, which you can directly set up on your OBi device.  You can have an OBi in say, France, provisioned with a US Callcentric number, and it will work just as if it was physically in the USA.

A_Friend

gqaa, if you want to forward calls with the Obi202/200, you can.  The device is designed to do it and it does work.

Either in the ObiTalk portal or via the UI, take a look at the "Calling Features" section of your Google Voice "Voice Service" (most likely SP1).  You can route your calls conditionally, specify the number of rings before it forwards, etc., and choose which SP it goes out on.  Some of the features you can activate via star codes, although I don't see where you can set the ring count with those.

SteveInWA

Quote from: A_Friend on July 18, 2018, 07:43:15 PM
gqaa, if you want to forward calls with the Obi202/200, you can.  The device is designed to do it and it does work.

Either in the ObiTalk portal or via the UI, take a look at the "Calling Features" section of your Google Voice "Voice Service" (most likely SP1).  You can route your calls conditionally, specify the number of rings before it forwards, etc., and choose which SP it goes out on.  Some of the features you can activate via star codes, although I don't see where you can set the ring count with those.

Your posts have repeatedly shown that you do not understand Google Voice's design, purpose, or operation.  It is not a free SIP trunk provider.  It is a cloud-based, integrated service, including its own call forwarding and message management components. It is not designed to be treated as a bare-bones DID.

A better home for you, would be on DSLReports.

A_Friend

Quote from: SteveInWA on July 18, 2018, 08:33:12 PM

Your posts have repeatedly shown that you do not understand Google Voice's design, purpose, or operation.  It is not a free SIP trunk provider.  It is a cloud-based, integrated service, including its own call forwarding and message management components. It is not designed to be treated as a bare-bones DID.

A better home for you, would be on DSLReports.

You can save the shade.  I understand perfectly what the intent of GV is.  And its limitations.  Which is why I pay for DIDs from other carriers, which have better online management capabilities.  And why I'm a big fan of the Obi2nn and its processing and integration features.

The original poster was asking to do something using his Obi device.  You refuse to allow the possibility, yet what he is trying to do, according to him, seemingly can't be done with GV alone. 

The Obi device by itself is amazingly powerful, whether used with or without Google Voice.  AND, the facilities we have for online/cloud processing of inbound calls are not limited to Google Voice.  In fact, Google Voice in some ways is quite primitive compared to what's available from some commercial voip providers.

I use Google Voice's forwarding function to route it through Callcentric, where I use their Call Treatments facility for post-processing, and pass some things along to voip.ms for their IVR and Time Conditions.  These are not things available through GV.  And, the Obi2 series lets you integrate multiple carriers and provides extra features itself.

There's no reason for your hostility.  Isn't this the Obihai forum?  Should I be suggesting that perhaps you'd be happier over on the Google Voice forum?  ( https://productforums.google.com/forum/?hl=en#!forum/voice )

gqaa

Quote from: A_Friend on July 18, 2018, 07:43:15 PM

Thanks for your help!
let me just explain whats happening to me. when i activate call forwarding on my obi then only my other google voice rings but not the forwarding phone (even if i make unconditional forwarding).
so can you pls explain clearly what i could do?
Thanks

A_Friend

Quote from: gqaa on July 19, 2018, 04:33:08 AM
Thanks for your help!
let me just explain whats happening to me. when i activate call forwarding on my obi then only my other google voice rings but not the forwarding phone (even if i make unconditional forwarding).
Thanks

Okay, now I'm not clear what you're trying to do.  Please explain which device which line/service is on, where your GV numbers are set to ring in GV's settings, and under what conditions you want to forward an incoming call on which line and to where.

Feel free to use letters, like "GV A is on Obi200 SP1," etc. 

gqaa

Quote from: A_Friend on July 19, 2018, 04:52:39 AM
Quote from: gqaa on July 19, 2018, 04:33:08 AM
Thanks for your help!
Thanks

Okay, now I'm not clear what you're trying to do.  Please explain which device which line/service is on, where your GV numbers are set to ring in GV's settings, and under what conditions you want to forward an incoming call on which line and to where.

Feel free to use letters, like "GV A is on Obi200 SP1," etc. 
I am using one gv line with my obi and that gv line is also connected to my hangouts so when i get a call my obi and hangouts rings but when i make call forwarding on my obi then only my hangouts rings and the obi and the forwarded phone does not ring.

A_Friend

SteveInWA is right.  This doesn't work.  GV won't give you two sessions right up front.  Which is what is causing the symptoms you're seeing.  The Obi is forwarding your call, so it won't ring, but GV doesn't have a line to connect it, so it goes to the great bit bucket in the sky.

You'll need to add another SIP carrier.

So, once you have a carrier on SP2, you'd dial the star code you want (for always, for busy, or for no-answer) and then: **218005551212# and that should work.  After that, you can make changes in the UI if needed.  Or just use the star codes.

Fun Fact:  If you get an initially free voip carrier, like Callcentric, you can make non-PSTN voip calls for free.  If you use SIP Broker to route the call, you can code that in your call forwarding.  For example, I just tested using voip.ms to call a Callcentric line, by coding this in the CallForwardUnconditionalNumber field:  SP2(**275*46217779999999)
**275 is the route to SIP Broker from voip.ms (also from Callcentric and several others.)
*462 is the carrier code to Callcentric
17779999999 is the format of a Callcentric account number.

So, what happened here is a call came in to GV on SP1, it was sent to call forward via voip.ms on SP2 to SIP Broker who routed it directly to a Callcentric account number without going through another DID.

I see a couple of different carrier codes for Sonetel in the carrier directory on sipbroker.com.  You'd need to test them to see if any work.  Or call Sonetel's tech support for guidance.

azrobert

Quote from: gqaa on July 10, 2018, 07:53:18 AM
that when i am not home my calls should be forwarded to my cell phone
If you just want to forward calls to your cell, would you consider installing a softphone on your cell. You can then register the softphone to a free SIP service and have the OBi202 forward the call via SIP URI. Using this method you will see the original CallerID.