News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

CNAM issues using CallCentric

Started by dartrio, September 16, 2018, 09:50:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dartrio

Hi,
I'm using an Obihai Obi200, with Google voice, going through Callcentric for CNAM and 911, but I'm having problems with the CNAM. My Obi200 is running software version 3.2.2.5898. Everything works OK, except on incoming calls to the Google voice number the caller's name is not displayed. The calling number is displayed, but not the name. I'm using a Panasonic cordless phone to see the caller ID values. If I call the CallCentric number instead of GV, the calling name is displayed. I used the guide at http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=11386.0 to set this up, except for in step 7 my understanding is Google is no longer using XMPP so the check box for Google Chat has been removed. I also changed the Ring Profile for SP2 to use the single ring.

Any suggestions on what's wrong? I'm mainly going through CallCentric for the calling name, but it's not doing me much good at the moment.

Thanks in advance for any help.

dboling

Google Voice doesn't provide the callers name, unless you have the caller listed in your Google Voice contacts.
-Diane

Taoman

Quote from: dartrio on September 16, 2018, 09:50:26 AM

Any suggestions on what's wrong? I'm mainly going through CallCentric for the calling name, but it's not doing me much good at the moment.

The problem is your direct SIP connection to your OBi device from Google Voice. It is beating your forward to Callcentric.

You're correct that there is no longer a Google Chat to uncheck. However, you should have an entry for your "OBiTALK Device - xxxxxxxxxx." Go to the link below and uncheck it.

https://www.google.com/voice/b/0/redirection/voice/#phones

dboling

Quote from: Taoman on September 16, 2018, 10:05:36 AM
Quote from: dartrio on September 16, 2018, 09:50:26 AM

The problem is your direct SIP connection to your OBi device from Google Voice. It is beating your forward to Callcentric.

You're correct that there is no longer a Google Chat to uncheck. However, you should have an entry for your "OBiTALK Device - xxxxxxxxxx." Go to the link below and uncheck it.

https://www.google.com/voice/b/0/redirection/voice/#phones

I've been looking at maybe doing using callcentric for CNAM.
Do you just delete your OBI devices from GV and forward the call to you callcentric phone number ?
-Diane

Taoman

Quote from: dboling on September 16, 2018, 10:11:25 AM

Do you just delete your OBI devices from GV and forward the call to you callcentric phone number ?

No. You just uncheck the entry for your OBi device and make sure your Callcentric entry is checked.

Do not delete your "OBiTALK Device" entry. If you did that how would you make an outbound call?

dboling

Quote from: Taoman on September 16, 2018, 10:22:15 AM
Quote from: dboling on September 16, 2018, 10:11:25 AM

No. You just uncheck the entry for your OBi device and make sure your Callcentric entry is checked.

Do not delete your "OBiTALK Device" entry. If you did that how would you make an outbound call?

Sorry, I didn't mean delete the OBI from GV. However you could leave them all checked and refine the forwarding options via GV groups and circles.

Like: (all contacts) go to callcentric number and (family or friends) go through OBI devices.
-Diane

Taoman

Quote from: dboling on September 16, 2018, 10:31:11 AM

Like: (all contacts) go to callcentric number and (family or friends) go through OBI devices.

Exactly. I choose to have all Contacts go directly to OBi device. All unknown numbers go to Callcentric.

Note: I played with this pretty extensively yesterday. My experience is that groups just aren't working (reliably) anymore. You really need to edit each Contact individually and choose which numbers/devices you want that Contact to forward to.

dboling

Quote from: Taoman on September 16, 2018, 10:42:53 AM
Quote from: dboling on September 16, 2018, 10:31:11 AM

Exactly. I choose to have all Contacts go directly to OBi device. All unknown numbers go to Callcentric.

Note: I played with this pretty extensively yesterday. My experience is that groups just aren't working (reliably) anymore. You really need to edit each Contact individually and choose which numbers/devices you want that Contact to forward to.

I have mine setup as

Home Phone (Accept Calls 7day a week 7am - 7pm)
OBI202  (No Restrictions)
OBI212  (No Restrictions)
All Checked

Groups and Circles:
All Contacts: Home Phone
Anonymous: None (>/dev/null)
Family: Home, OBI202, OBI212  (6 entries)

The issue I'm seeing is every call I receive shows an SP1 connection, meaning groups aren't working correctly.
-Diane

Taoman

Quote from: dboling on September 16, 2018, 10:53:00 AM

The issue I'm seeing is every call I receive shows an SP1 connection, meaning groups aren't working correctly.

Which is why I said you need to edit each Contact individually. Do you know how to do that?

dboling

Quote from: Taoman on September 16, 2018, 11:00:03 AM
Quote from: dboling on September 16, 2018, 10:53:00 AM

Which is why I said you need to edit each Contact individually. Do you know how to do that?

Yes I do, Can contacts be imported to GV via Skype .vcf file ?

-Diane

Taoman

Quote from: dboling on September 16, 2018, 11:03:56 AM

Haven't tried it but supposedly you can import CSV and vCard files.

dboling

Quote from: Taoman on September 16, 2018, 11:10:33 AM
Quote from: dboling on September 16, 2018, 11:03:56 AM

Haven't tried it but supposedly you can import CSV and vCard files.

Cool, Thanks for the info.
-Diane

dartrio

Thanks Taoman - that was the problem. I've been using the 'new' Google Voice' interface and didn't notice that the legacy interface shows that detail. When only enabling the CallCentric number, Calling name comes through.

Another problem I'm having though (and I'll open another topic if needed) is I also have a Bright ID'er caller ID box (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tG7F7H1pjys) but this thing just says 'No Message' when a call comes in. It doesn't display number or name? The Panasonic cordless phone does display both now. So what would keep one from seeing it but the other to not see it?
Thanks

Taoman

Quote from: dartrio on September 16, 2018, 11:21:13 AM
So what would keep one from seeing it but the other to not see it?

I'm unfamiliar with that device. How is it connected to your OBi/Panasonic setup?

dartrio

It's just connected in parallel to tip and ring like another phone.

Taoman

Quote from: dartrio on September 16, 2018, 12:17:28 PM
It's just connected in parallel to tip and ring like another phone.

In parallel? Like you have a splitter connected to the OBi phone port and one line to the Panasonic and the other to the Bright device?

A cursory look at the documentation appears to say they should be connected in series. You have a line jack and phone jack on the Bright caller ID. Panasonic should be connected to phone jack and line jack connected to phone port on your OBi device.

As a test, disconnect the Panasonic phone entirely. Just have Bright ID plugged into OBi and make an inbound call. Do you get caller id and CNAM?

dartrio

Thanks Taoman,
Yes, parallel meaning the signal is distributed to all the attached devices together. It's the same as having a splitter wiring multiple phones together. The 'line jack' and 'phone jack' on the Bright ID'er box is just a convenient way to wire the box and a phone together without having to have a splitter. It's really not in series.

After I posted the last reply I had the same thought as far as trying with the Obi only driving the Bright ID'er, but it behaves the same - No Message. So it recognizes the ring voltage, but it's missing the caller ID tones.

This was working before I 'cut the cord'. And I have two of these Bright Id'ers and neither one of them are working, so I don't think it's the Bright ID'er.