News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Firmware 3.2.2 Build 5898) breaks PhonePower. Need to revert to 3.2.2 build 5757

Started by rl4265, July 12, 2018, 09:35:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rl4265

How do I revert my Obi 202 to 3.2.2 build 5757.  I'm out of warranty and am uncomfortable paying to fix a problem caused by Obihai's latest firmware update.

My Obi 202 and PhonePower have been rock solid for several years, but lately I have had issues:

I was on call using my home line, I got dumped and when I tried to reconnect, I got message that service provider rejected call, Code 403.  I tried another number with the same result.  Both numbers were Verizon numbers.

I reported this to PhonePower and they replied:

We have recently discovered that the most recent firmware upgrade by obihai 
is the cause of the issues that  you and other Obihai device users are currently experiencing.

Issues:

1) Constant loss of registrations (stacked registration agents showing on the account)

2) Calls dropping while in progress at random times.

3) Problems with ATT phones with built in answering machines.

The faulty version is 3.2.2 Build 5898EX   You can Check your version by dialing * * * 01#

Until Obihai releases a fix  to this version the only option is have Obihai Support assist with rolling
back the firmware to a previous version (3.2.2 build 5757) that does not have any known problems.

A_Friend

There wasn't a v.3.2.2 Build 5757EX.  That build was v.3.2.1.  The first v.3.2.2 I heard about was build 5859EX. 

You can download the firmware here:  http://fw.obihai.com/OBi202-3-2-1-5757EX.fw

If you're not sure how to load it, I recommend the Device Administration Guide, here:
https://www.obitalk.com/info/documents/admin_guide/OBiDeviceAdminGuide.pdf

I've read some things suggesting you may not be able to revert to that version, though.  Something about a test in the newer firmware that prevents it.  I'm not sure, though, so you should try it.

If that doesn't work, this is the last pre-Polycom version:  http://fw.obihai.com/OBi202-3-2-2-5859EX-198839.fw  which I believe you can "downgrade" to.  it was pretty stable on my Obi200 running GV, voip.ms, and callcentric.

Best of luck.  Let us know what happens.

rl4265

Thanks so much.  I downloaded the http://fw.obihai.com/OBi202-3-2-2-5859EX-198839.fw firmware as you suggested, but am concerned that I may break things.  I decided to spend the $10 for Obihai tech support.  The link didn't work well, but finally, I got an Amazon payments processing message, but no key etc. 

I went through voicemail hell at Obi trying to unsuccessfully get to a live person, but was able to leave a message.  Hopefully someone will phone me back.  This is totally unlike the support I've gotten from Obi before and very disappointing.  I hope that Obihai and Polycom can get it together.  I've been a loyal customer since Obi 100 days and have recommended them to many others but if I can't get support, I have a real problem.

I'm going to leave things alone until I get guidance from Obi (or more direction from PhonePower) because I'd rather deal with random issues than change breaking everything.

I do have the device admin guide and will review it.

BenE

I have the same problem as the OP (except on a new OBI200), however I was able to downgrade to 3.2.2 5859 after figuring out how to prevent the auto update back to 5898.  Unfortunately, that didn't solve the issue for me.  I was able to get registration using the template that phonepower sent me, but eventually all 4 of the registration spots  get filled up, and then gives me the 403 error.

I tried downgrading to 5757, but you get a checksum error

Kind of a bummer as my old OBI100 was working fine with phonepower until June, until GV failed, so I had to get the OBI200.  Now the situation has flipped... no phonepower, but GV works.

HunterGatherer

soobong

Hello! I also have been using Obi110 for a very long time and all of a sudden, I am Offline so I was forced to purchase the Obi200. I tried to connect and register, but unfortunately, I failed. I had to ask phonepower for e-mail and they gave me all the instructions for the full hand config while the SIP Credential is open at phonepower,(which I did not have to before)... Anyhows, currently, I am trying to retry and after many tries, and to re-config and revert and resets, I still have no 100% connection with phonepower.  Also, Phonepower is just waiting for obitalk to figure this problem, until then phonepower is asking too see if i can roll back to the previous firmware which there is no problem.

1. Anyone know how to roll back to previous firmware? I was able to download the previous firmware which is 3.2.1. 5757?

2. any good results? please share...

3. am i doing something wrong? Please help me!!!   

Mango

There have been no firmware updates to the OBi110 for months/years.  The changes that require purchase of an OBi200 are only related to Google Voice, which does not affect you since you use PhonePower.  Barring a hardware failure (lighting strike, power surge, etc) your 110 should still work.

Unless you're the same dude on DSLR under a different name, you are the second person who reports issues with the 110 as well as the 2xx's new firmware.  Conspiracy theory: PhonePower made some fundamental change to how their switches work and this is not an Obihai problem at all.

Until someone does a SIP trace to find out exactly why their setup is failing, any troubleshooting will be a shot in the dark.

soobong

Hello

Thank you for the reply...

Yes, I have no problems with Obi, I believe phonepower is saying that Obihai had updated firmware and it is causing the problem... that Obitalk/Polycom should fix the problem.  Anyhoos, I am still stuck with no phone line... Boo Hoo Hoo...   anyone else with any other thoughts. Please reply...

soobong

Hello,

Anyone, who has the problem with Phonepower... about 5 minutes ago, I had Google voice setup in SP1 and Phonepower on SP2 with SP2 that has no re-configuration.  It has been 7 minutes.  I want to see how long it will last, but they only problem is that I have to keep SIP Credential open(why?, otherwise, the system will be disconnected...) maybe in about 30 minutes or so, i will try to close, i will share any results later. Currently, GV is Connected, phonepower is registered and I can make calls OK. did not try incoming calls yet.

soobong

Hello,

Phonepower at SP2 and GV on SP1 is currently working A-OK, but the odd thing is that I have to keep SIP Credentials at Phonepower, why? I am going to try to shut down at 1 hour 1 min./  Currently, I have been on for 39 minutes.

soobong

Sorry. Phonepower SP2 has failed after about 15 minutes or so...

hmmm...

rl4265

If any of you know how to get a reply Obihai support, please let me know how to do it.

I've paid for premium support.

I've sent in service tickets.

I've left voice mail.

I can't get a live person to call me back.

In the past, Obihai has given excellent support, but this is the worst I've gotten from any company.

In the meantime, I intermittently drop calls and get a error 403 when using PhonePower.  (I note:  PhonePower and Obi have been rock solid until recently.)

rl4265

Mango: not sure what a PM is, but I'm using a OBI 202.  I'm caught in the middle.  PhonePower says they don't allow their 202's to update and are using build 5757 and their 202's work great as mine did until the latest update.

I downloaded 5757 but get a checksum error when I try to install it.

I've paid for premium support and don't get replies to my on-line ticket requests or voicemail to find out how to roll the firmware back.

Very frustrating.  PhonePower says there is nothing they can do until Obi release a new update or I get my device reverted.

A note:  I'm using a Arris 6580 combo cable modem and router.  There are no ALG settings.

madhouse

Quote from: Mango on July 16, 2018, 05:38:21 PM
There have been no firmware updates to the OBi110 for months/years.  The changes that require purchase of an OBi200 are only related to Google Voice, which does not affect you since you use PhonePower.  Barring a hardware failure (lighting strike, power surge, etc) your 110 should still work.

Unless you're the same dude on DSLR under a different name, you are the second person who reports issues with the 110 as well as the 2xx's new firmware.  Conspiracy theory: PhonePower made some fundamental change to how their switches work and this is not an Obihai problem at all.

Until someone does a SIP trace to find out exactly why their setup is failing, any troubleshooting will be a shot in the dark.

I tried using a cisco 112 and have the same problem as my 202 so you are probably right. Been several weeks now and still unable (or willing) to fix it

KevKan

Found the solution to the problem, change your ITSP!!

For additional background info, take a look at my previous post on this problem back on 06/06/2018:  http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=14067.msg90413#msg90413

Subsequent to that post, I spent hours on the phone with PhonePower technical support personnel fighting this problem.  During these lengthy calls, I was told this was an Obi Hai problem resulting from the revised firmware.  They said the device was now registering/re-registering about every 15 minutes, and, if you happened to be on a call at the time, the call would be dropped.   The only solution offered was to secure service directly from PhonePower by buying/leasing an ATA from them.  I didn't even consider this an option in view of their exorbitant price.

After, moving the same ObiHai device to a different ITSP, the problem is gone!!!!   So much for this being an ObiHai problem!!

Another thing I found was ObiHai 200s configured on the ObiTalk website, when PhonePower was an "Approved Service Provider", that have NOT been SIP reconfigured, are rock solid.   PhonePower has said if they develop a problem in the future, they must be SIP reconfigured.

jharris0221

This is ridiculous. Having the same problem. Obihai care to respond?!? @obiservice

BenE

I posted earlier in this thread, and basically gave up on this build, and was just waiting it out.  However, just recently, I've noticed that obi dashboard status was showing the Phone Power Account as "Registered" vs. the registration failed, or 403 problem.  Lo and behold my number is working on the OBI200.  On the Phone Power account SIP credentials, it was showing only one device registered, as it should be.

I didn't do anything, but there was a internet outage to my location (ATT).  I can't say that getting a new IP address, or anything that the ISP did resolved the issue.  I did see the post before on changing the ITSP, but that is confusing to me...  Maybe he meant changing the ISP.

mike1355

Very glad to hear your device is working. Mine still has
Register Failed: 401 Unauthorized (server=206.15.150.6:12060; retry in 42s)(UAP:12060)
Maybe I should power cycle it a few times !
Its frustrating as I did what obihai requested and upgraded to the obi200 and now it won't work with phonepower. My obi100 was working pretty much okay - occasional dropped calls so I decided to try the new hardware :(
It does work with google voice and I'm tempted to leave it like that but we have no 911 service .
I contacted phonepower and although they were very helpful and send me detailed instructions to set up SIP credentials , complicated... , however it didn't help. Then their latest email does say to revert the firmware as mentioned in this trail but as with other people , I get a checksum error if I try and load it.
Did you set up sip credentials to get it to work ?

KevKan

For clarification of my post, ITSP is the abbreviation for "Internet Telephone Service Provider" .  A few of them are:  Anveo, PhonePower, VOIP.MS, and Callcentric.