News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

voice mail message wont turn off

Started by sportflyer, July 13, 2018, 12:51:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sportflyer

I have a new problem that came up after I converted to 0bi200 .

I am using a panasonic cordless handset as my primary phone and I seem to be getting  voice message notification  that I can't remove even after I cleared the message from Google Voice. The message was from 2 weeks ago before my conversion from Obi100 to Obi200.

Today I tried leaving a new voice message to myself , listening to it then archiving it but the notification wont clear. I also pressed  the # button for 5 seconds till phone beeps ( per panasonic instructions)to clear the message .However the notification message comes back after a while. I also removed VM tone detection from the Handsets to no avail.

I also disabled but not delete the "forward to Chat " in the GV page but no effect.

Now I dont know whether its a Obi issue or GV issue.

Any suggestions ? Its annoying to have that notification message displaying when there are no new messages.   Tks

drgeoff

AIUI for at least the last 4 years, the XMPP version of GV did not support VM notification. Has SIP GV brought that feature back?

SteveInWA

Nope, VMI and VVMI are still not supported.

Sign into the OBiTALK web portal and click on your OBiTALK device.  Get into "Expert" configuration mode.  Go to Voice Services, then click on the SPx that has the Google Voice connection.  Scroll down to the Calling Features section.  Find the "Message waiting" parameter.  Remove BOTH checkmarks from the two boxes to the right of the value, so you can edit that value.  Remove the check mark next to "Message Waiting".  Scroll down and click Submit.

sportflyer

The check mark was already unchecked. So I checked it but no effect. I will try to uncheck it again. No help there. 

There are other selections like MWIEnable and X_VmWIEnable  , both are unchecked.  Can these help out?

SteveInWA

The other settings control whether or not the OBiTALK device responds to the two different signals:  Visual Message Waiting Indicator (VMWI, the blinking or steady LED indicator on the phone), or MWI (the stutter tone).  Since Google Voice doesn't send those things, the settings are disabled by default.  The box I asked you to un-check is not a setting, but a flag that shows whether the value is active or not.  It would normally have a check mark next to it if you indeed have a message waiting, and it would not have a check mark next to it if you don't have a message waiting.

SO:  you either have some other service provider configured on your device (e.g. Callcentric, Anveo, etc.) that in fact has a message waiting, or it's your phone doing it locally.  Check all of the other SPx voice services to see if any of them have the flag set on.

sportflyer

SP2 which is registerd to Voip.ms does indeed have check marks on MWIEnable and X_VmWIEnable
Should I uncheck them both ?

Message waiting is unchecked

SteveInWA

I don't think you understand what's going on.  Three things have to be true in order to use MWI and VMWI:

• The service provider must support that feature
  • The ATA or IP phone must have the settings turned on (check-marked)
  • The telephone must support it and have it turned on

These settings, and the first two conditions above, are on a per-service provider basis.  So, for example, we know that Google Voice does not support the feature, so it doesn't matter if you enable or disable the setting on the Voice Service -- it won't work.  If voip.ms supports MWI and VMWI, and you want to use it, then check-mark the settings.   It's up to you.

sportflyer

I have unchecked them in SP2 and the problem seem to have gone away.  At least for now.

Lets see . Tks for pointing me in the right direction.