News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Calls to my cell phone won't go to VM, they get forwarded to OBi

Started by GVwatercao, August 31, 2011, 06:21:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GVwatercao

I set up my GV number on the OBi.  Works like a charm for outgoing and incoming calls, including VM.  The problem is that calls to my iPhone (AT&T number) that aren't picked up after 4 rings get transferred to the OBi landline, then ring 4 more times before going to home voicemail or being picked up by my kids.  I'd really like the VM to work on the phone.  The GV number is forwarded to Google chat, and I've tried forwarding the GV to a different physical line, removing the line, but it still rings through.  Any great ideas?

RonR

If your home answering machine is picking up before your iPhone VM kicks in, it sounds like you need to set the home answering machine to more rings or a longer time setting.

If you forward your iPhone to your Google Voice number instead (not through the OBi), Google Voice picks up after 25 seconds of no answer and cannot be changed.

GVwatercao

The problem is that I have no idea why the phone is being forwarded to the GV number.  It's not set up to do that, not even the other way around; that is, calls to the GV number do not get forwarded to the iPhone number because they get forwarded to Google chat.  Very strange.

RonR

I guess I don't understand what you're saying and what you actually want.

In your Google Voice account, you can have incoming calls forwarded to multiple phones.  One of them, of course, is Google Chat, which is the OBi.  If you also have your iPhone and/or POTS number listed there and enabled (checked), they will ring also.  In the case of multiple phones being called, the first to answer wins.

???

GVwatercao

It may hard to understand because it doesn't make any sense:

My iPhone is not set to be forwarded at all.
GV voicemail is not turned on on the iPhone
GV is forwarded only to Google chat.
Forwarding to the iPhone number is unchecked.

Calls to the iPhone (AT&T) number ring four times on the phone, then transfer to GV and the phone on the Obi starts ringing.  I've tried resetting the iPhone network settings, restarting the phone, changing the GV forwarding number, whatever, but the iPhone still rings 4 times, skips VM, and transfers to the Obi.

I know this is not an iPhone forum or a GV forum, but this never happened before I set up the Obi.

RonR

Quote from: GVwatercao on August 31, 2011, 07:35:37 PM
Calls to the iPhone (AT&T) number ring four times on the phone, then transfer to GV and the phone on the Obi starts ringing

How can anyone but AT&T (or the iPhone itself) make calls to the iPhone transfer to somewhere else after 4 rings?  The OBi certainly doesn't have any control over AT&T or the iPhone call forwarding.  I see why you're mystified.

jimates

Was google voice voice mail ever turned on on the iPhone?

Most of the time you have to call your carrier and have conditional forwarding turned off after using GV VM, because turning it off on your GV page doesn't always work.

RonR

If Call Forwarding from the iPhone is in fact enabled, the following may be helpful:

To deactivate "Call forward if not answered", dial #61# and tap "Call"

To deactivate "Call forward if not reachable", dial #62# and tap "Call"

To deactivate "Call forward if busy", dial #67# and tap "Call"

GVwatercao

Deactivating all the call forwarding on the iPhone did the trick.  I'll be damned if I know how it got forwarded in the first place.  Thanks for the help!!