News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Obi200 :: 3 green lights - no dial tone

Started by Myhrddin, July 14, 2018, 09:49:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Myhrddin

Well, I'm stumped.  This is the replacement unit and had worked since it arrived a little over a week ago but, this morning.. it's developed the same behavior the first one did.. Everything appears to be working except there's No Line as far as any phone I connect is concerned.

I've restarted everything, left it without power for 20 minutes and plugged it back in.. so far, nothing I've tried is working to get the actual phone line / dial tone back again.

On the previous one I'd fiddled about with all the internals, trying to get it to come back.. don't feel like having to dig around inside this one since absolutely nothing helped on the last one.. It sounds like an update was sent out during the night and my Obi200 got overwhelmed by it.  Just a guess since I haven't had anything else happen since going to sleep last night.

Anyone had success after having this happen .. to restore service.?
Thanks in advance.!
~Myr
.end.trans.

azrobert

Do you have your OBi200 connected to your home wiring? If yes, did you disconnect your home wiring from Telco? This can fry the phone port on your OBi200.

Myhrddin

The landline was transferred to another physical address.. but, I can't even locate a box for phone service anywhere outside the house at all ..or where a line comes to the house.  I had considered surges coming in on that avenue but, haven't as of yet been able to find a line coming to the house.

:: Addendum - I am able to talk to the device via browser, if that could be of help. And, am fine using it only with a base unit connecting to it's own unwired handsets.  It's anyone's guess how the POTS line got here and definitely not worth trying to use existing jacks. ..if I can just get it working again.

Thanks in advance.!
~Myr
.end.trans.

azrobert

The phone company will normally not disconnect power from your house after the service is cancelled. Why would they send someone to your house to disconnect and then again send someone to connect for the next owner. I cancelled my landline about 15 years ago and the last I checked there was still power. I was considering using that power for emergency lighting, but decided against it.

Remove a wall jack and check for power with a volt meter. If you don't have a volt meter, just tap the wires together. It should spark if there is power.

Disconnect the OBi200 from the wall and do a factory reset. Plug a phone directly into the OBi200. Do you have dial tone? If it's dead, maybe you can return it.

Myhrddin

Thanks for the advice & info.
I'll do those and *fingers crossed, it may come back to life again without having to worry about another replacement op.  And, I have someone who's going to see if they can find what I have missed.. and disconnect any incoming if it's connected.

~Myr
.end.trans.

drgeoff

http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=9983.msg91752#msg91752 reports that some versions of firmware resulted in no dial tone.  Later posts in that thread confirmed that the OBi's phone port circuitry had not been damaged and a later firmware restored operation.

That was different from the more frequently encountered situation of permanent damage to the phone port sometimes caused by connecting the OBi to house wiring which has not been properly disconnected from a previous landline type service.

NomadTech

It happened to me whith firmware 3.2.2.5859EX. The only way to revive it was to have it connected to my laptop and repeatedly remove and reapply power to it until it told me that it needs new firmware. I had it previously downloaded so I flashed it and it's been working ever since. It even updated a couple of weeks ago.

shap

5859EX resolved the problem with dial tone for me. Latest firmware (5898EX) is not working (no dial tone).

Marco99

My OBI200 would reboot every time I went off hook. (no dial tone)
Reverted back to 5859 and all is working again.
Stay away from 5898