News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

TIP: How To Copy Speed-Dials From One Device To Another

Started by A_Friend, July 16, 2018, 11:43:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

A_Friend

I'm posting this tip in case anyone else needs to do this.  I have an Obi202 and an Obi200 in the same location.  The 202 accumulated about 50 speed dials over the years (while not attached to the ObiTalk portal) and I wanted to copy the list to the 200.  The two devices have different SP configurations so any attempt at loading a backup file isn't do-able.

UNLESS, you "make" a backup file of JUST the speed-dials.  Here's how to do that in Windows:

(NOTE:  If your device is currently online with the ObiTalk portal, you really can't do this, at least not as of a week ago.  The portal steps on your speed-dials and you must enter them individually through the portal.)

FIRST, make a backup of your settings on the source device via the UI.

SECOND, download a copy of XML Notepad.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=7973

THIRD, edit your backup file in Tree View.  Search for "SpeedDial."  That's the only "Object" you want to keep.  Delete all the others.  Don't delete the first three lines in the View ("xml", #comment, ParameterList).  Save the result, preferably with a new name for housekeeping purposes.

LASTLY, restore that file to your target machine using the UI.  If ObiTalk can see it, the portal might step on it, but if you've shut off AutoProvisioning and ObiTalk, you can leave the device registered with the portal in case you need to update firmware or GV in the future.  Just turn ObiTalk and AutoProvisioning back on at that point.  (As far as I can tell, if you ever delete your device from the Portal and then add it back, you're starting from scratch.  Faced with a newly-added, but already configured device, the portal will act as if it's factory new, won't recognize your settings, may mess them up, and may cause you to need a factory reset.  Safer to leave your device registered, but "offline.")