News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Can't take incoming PhonePower calls

Started by managerharry, July 19, 2018, 10:35:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

managerharry

I've been struggling for several months to resolve a bug affecting Google Voice and Obi devices which renders the call waiting feature unusable.  As an alternative I wanted to try using my PhonePower account which I've had as a backup for a long time but have rarely used.  
Here's what I'm thinking:

Add my PhonePower number to Google Voice so it rings on incoming calls to my GV number
Spoof my GV number in PhonePower setup so it appears I'm calling from GV
Configure Obi202 with PhonePower SIP credentials on SP2, and configure Phone 2 to dial out and ring incoming calls from PhonePower only.

That way I can basically use PhonePower as a proxy for my GV account and work around the call waiting issue while still retaining the ability to use GV for texting, voicemail, etc. Right?
With this setup I can call out fine and it spoofs my GV number.  But I can't answer incoming calls, they come in with a weird short ring pattern and when I pickup the phone I get only dead air, although on the phone I'm calling in from it continues to ring. Stranger still, if I hangup with the phone I used to call my PhonePower number, my phone continues to ring showing the caller ID of the phone I used to call in, and this continues until I pickup and hangup the phone twice.

Which leaves me unable to answer any incoming calls on Phone 2 whether they dialed my GV number and were forwarded to PhonePower, or whether they dialed my PhonePower number directly.  At least until my forwarding rules for PhonePower kick in and the call gets forwarded to my cell.

Solutions?

managerharry

Talked with PhonePower support and manually forwarded a list of ports, as well as made the following recommended changes in ObiExpert settings, but still get any incoming calls.

Under ITSP Profile x General:

Name = PhonePower
DTMFMethod = Auto
X_UseFixedDurationRFC2833DTMF = not checked
DigitMap = (**|[3469]11|0|00|1xxxxxxxxxx|<1>[2-9]xxxxxxxxxS0|*21|*50xxxx|*51xxxx|*52xxxx|*53xxxx|*54|*6[013569]|*6[27]xx.|*77|*[789]2xx.|*73|*74[0-1][0-9]*xxxxxxxxxx|*75[0-1][0-9]|*8[137]|90xxxx|*93|*96|011xx.|xx.|(Mipd)|[^*#]@@.)

Under ITSP Profile x SIP:

ProxyServer = sip.phonepower.com
ProxyServerPort = 0
RegistrarServer = sip.phonepower.com
RegistrarServerPort = 12060
UserAgentDomain = sip.phonepower.com
OutboundProxy = sip.phonepower.com
OutboundProxyPort = 0
RegistrationPeriod = 3600
X_RegistrationMargin = 0.1

In the Voice Services section:

Under SPx Service:

Enable = checked
X_AcceptSipFromRegistrarOnly = checked
X_NoRegNoCall = checked
X_AcceptSipFromRegistrarOnly = checked
X_NoRegNoCall = checked
X_KeepAliveEnable = checked
X_KeepAliveExpires = 30
X_KeepAliveServer = sip.phonepower.com
X_UserAgentPort = 12060
DirectoryNumber = (your phone number)
AuthUserName = (your phone number)
AuthPassword = (your sip password)

managerharry

....and in the continuing fuckup that is my phone service, a 2nd call to PhonePower resulted in the following revelation-- the most recent firmware for the Obi202 v5898EX apparently has a bug in how it interacts with PhonePower's SIP credential login and this results in the service being disconnected every few minutes. According to PP tech support their is no solution other than downgrading the firmware or waiting for Obi to issue a fix.  Great, I'll just downgrade to the previous firmware, right?  Wrong.  Come to find out that once a device is upgraded to 5898 it cannot be downgraded.  And since this happens automatically if your device is registered in the Obitalk portal both my old 202 and my new 202 are both running that version of the firmware.  So now my PhonePower account is worthless with this hardware. Awesome.  I guess I could try Anveo...

kae36

On my ObiHai 202 I have the same problem.  Recently released new ObiHai firmware uses a different port each time it re-registers with PP after the registration timer expires.  By using a new port, it looks like a new device to PP.  After the 4th or 5th registration it's locked out. PP only allows a limited number of devices allowed to connect (4 or 5)

This problem started recently (seems like in the last 2-3 weeks).  ObiHai hardware no longer works with PP, except with Google Voice it seems fine.

There doesn't seem to be any way of contacting Polycom/ObiHai to notify them of this problem.  I guess it's time to look for different VOIP hardware.