News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

no dial tone obi200

Started by Redw00d, July 19, 2018, 12:33:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Redw00d

very frustrated: used obi110 for Years, no problems.. I had bought an obi200 for backup. so, obi110 has stopped working. Trying to get obi200 setup, but, NO dialtone... I have sent and gotten responses from emails but, NO dialtone... is it a brick? did I waste my money on this thing? I now need to replace it, but, I'm afraid of another failure.. yes, warranty period is over. so, is there ANY way to test this? to get it fixed, or do I just throw it away?
thanks for useful responses

HWood

I am considered a "newbie" to the forum, but I have used the Obi products for 5+ years and aside from all the help/solutions to problems prior to purchasing the 202 never involved an explanation or a real reason for me to ask for HELP. 

Nonetheless--I am having the same problem-- but with Obi202; purchased less than 3 months ago. Although I THINK I am within the 1 year period according to the information here--https://www.obitalk.com/info/faq/About-the-OBi/warranty-for-the-OBi-- it does not provide any information in terms of the process to replace the Obi202.  Additionally the telephone number for support is unreachable ((408) 890-6000).

"The OBi carries with it a factory supported one-year limited warranty on hardware. Obihai Technology provides a one-year limited hardware warranty. Obihai warrants to customer that this product will conform to its published specifications and will be free from defects in material and workmanship at the time of delivery and for a period of 365-days thereafter. Without limiting the foregoing, this warranty does not cover any defect resulting from (a) any design or specification supplied by an entity other than Obihai, (b) non-observance of technical operating parameters (e.g. exceeding limiting values) or (c) misuse, abuse, using in abnormal conditions or alterations of any kind."

drgeoff

In general, Obihai has no way of knowing when a device is purchased.  They do know when it was first registered on the portal and observations do seem to confirm that the 1 year period begins on that date.

HWood

Thanks for that-- so I am well within the 1 year warranty.  I called the support # and sent emails to  Obihai Support at Obi.Support@polycom.com.  Most recently sent 3 pictures of the device to show the LEDs for the phone port do not light up.  This just happened yesterday.

Hoping for a positive outcome and a replacement...

drgeoff

There have been several similar reports recently of no dial tone on OBi 200/202 units.  I suspect it is a software problem and that there is nothing amiss with your device's hardware.

http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=14442.0

HWood

It does not have a dial tone because the LED ports died.  I cannot go any further.  It was working up to yesterday.  If other's are having a similar issue-- I don't believe it has anything to do with a software update.

The instructions I received from support was-- "Please power up your OBi202 device. recheck all (physical) connections.  No switch, nor extender, nor hub connected.  Make sure to connect the Ethernet cable to the BLUE internet port on your OBi device, direct to your router.  Restart your router (and modem), your OBi202 device and make sure there is dial tone, then dial **9 222 222 222 to ensure echo test is successful."

"Make sure there is a dial tone..."   I can understand the frustration when the telephone I've been using with the OBi202 still works-- so it's not an issue with the telephone cable.  The LED lights for the power and internet are working as usual...  It's the OBi202's telephone port/dead LEDs. 

The key here is that the product was purchased less than 3 months ago--and if it's not working, I would hope they would send me a replacement-- this one is useless.

HWood

their return/replace policy does not exist  :o. There is no instruction with the 1-year warranty...  And this document does not offer much either http://www.polycom.com/content/dam/polycom/common/documents/data-sheets/obi-202-data-sheet-enus.pdf.

Thank God I ordered it from Amazon.

drgeoff

To confirm a hardware problem unplug the phone, connect the OBi200 to your router, power it up and do either of the following.

1. If the Obi200 is still showing as online on your Obitalk Dashboard enter the Expert mode.  Click on Status and then on Phone Port Status.  What voltages do you see against VBatt and TipRingVoltage?

2. If the 200 is not online to the portal use your router's management interface to find the IP address of the OBi200.  Point a browser at that address and log in with username admin and password admin (unless you changed it).  Click the same as above and report the voltages.

HWood

Thank you!  These devices are really worth it-- I've purchased 4 of them in total since 2013.  Never had a problem--never had to join the forum--which is greatly appreciated. 

In January 2018, communication leader Polycom acquired Obihai.   (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Obihai_Technology)  Something changed.

Nonetheless, I've decided not to waste any more time with this; patience is not my strong suit. Contacted Amazon. I am returning the less than 3 month old OBi202 for a full refund.  I have yet to decide if I will purchase another one as I am still able to use my GV account on my physical "home phone" without the use of an Obihai gateway/adapter.

My son still has an OBi200-- and should he have issues with his-- I am passing this information you provided on to him.   

This forum is great-- AND if polycom offered this kind of support, and more importantly honored the warranty-- that would be fantasic!

Thank you again  8)