News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

inbound call USA to SWITZERLAND, not working

Started by goodobi, September 01, 2011, 02:27:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

goodobi

Hello,
I set up an OBI 110 in the US before departure to switzerland: it has a GV account and US phone associated with , but no forwarding  phone number.
So I  carried 1 obi 110 with me to Switzerland .
I can make calls to the US with no problems.
But I cannot get any inbound calls from the US to switzerland.
I checked the OBI call history using the IP number and there are no traces of inbound CALLs even though my relatives in the US called me several times from a landline( no OBI attached in the US) nor from a cell phone.
I know my relatives have called becasue we were testing the calls . Also I can see that they called because GV showed the transcripted messages from the relatives in the US.

Please advise.
thanks

goodobi

hwittenb

The implication is that GV is checking the country of your inbound call ip address and then not sending the call.  Perhaps this is because they now charge to make international calls.

A workaround would be to get a U.S. voip number working on your OBi100 and send the GV calls to that number (or have your friends call the number directly).  I would get a "Dirt Cheap" U.S. DID  and an account from CallCentric.  Get that working on your OBi and then send the GV calls to that number.

QBZappy

Perhaps this is happening to you. Seems like GV is looking at the IP of the GV call.

See this thread:
http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=1393.msg8785#msg8785

Quote from: gobigred on August 24, 2011, 07:43:27 AM
I've read that Google Voice charges 1 cent/minute for calls overseas to/from the U.S. even if the user has a U.S. GV number.  Is this true? Seems the only way they would know where calls are originated or terminated is by IP address.  If it is true, is there a way that a friend overseas with an OBi 100 can call my OBi 100 in the U.S. via an OBi to OBi call, get my auto attendant and then call out to the U.S. via my OBi and thus avoid the 1 cent/minute charge?  

Quote from: gobigred on August 24, 2011, 08:41:22 AM
Here are the posts that I read.  Not sure if they are accurate or not.
http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/voice/thread?tid=5b46d846628208e8&hl=en

Don't forget that you can call each other using the OBi number as well. You could put each other in the "circle of trust" and use the local tel servcies of each OBi.
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

CelticComms

Did you check that calls were received on the OBi before leaving USA? If you are in the Gmail interface do you see the calls being received there? In the Google Voice settings is it set to forward to Google Chat?

I have no problems receiving Google Voice calls on OBis outside USA.