News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Error message: "We could not complete your call. Please try again."

Started by mj56gt, July 20, 2018, 12:59:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mj56gt

About two days ago, I have been getting the error message "We could not complete your call.  Please try again" whenever I make an outgoing call. And I can't get any incoming calls either. On the dashboard of my Obi account, it shows that sp1 is connected with my Google voice account. I didn't make any changes in my Google voice account recently to trick this. Rebooting the Obi 110 device (with firmware 'naf') a few times didn't help. Googling seems to indicate that this is a Google voice problem, but I have no clue to get this fixed.

Any suggestions? Factory reset?

drgeoff

@Rip_van_Winkle

Don't know how you are not aware that GV on OBi1x0 devices is gone, finished, kaput.

MajorP

My obi is a 200 and less than 1 yr old.  I get that also, sometimes.  I am in my 70s and not tech savvy, so give us a break.  My phone will ring 1 time and go to voice, I have found out.  I don't know how to find my messages.  This is definitely not for people like me!  Very frustrating!

SteveInWA

Quote from: MajorP on July 22, 2018, 06:33:48 PM
My obi is a 200 and less than 1 yr old.  I get that also, sometimes.  I am in my 70s and not tech savvy, so give us a break.  My phone will ring 1 time and go to voice, I have found out.  I don't know how to find my messages.  This is definitely not for people like me!  Very frustrating!

Unfortunately, many people are lured into buying an OBi device, because of the irresistible smell of "free phone calls!"  It is not that simple, by any means, and an OBi device + Google Voice is not a free phone company.  It does require some technical skills to figure things out and troubleshoot problems with somebody in an online forum (vs. a tech standing next to you).

I'm going to suggest that you use some simpler solution for your calling needs, like a magicJack, or a simple, low cost mobile phone service.

RFC3261

Quote from: SteveInWA on July 22, 2018, 07:24:24 PM
It is not that simple, by any means.
I have often thought that Google should charge a small fee for the service to encourage those that want "free" to more realistically consider their alternatives.  Perhaps end the every year agreeing to not charge a service fee or for outgoing US calls.  Or perhaps roll service and outgoing calls into their new Google One offering (ala Amazon Prime subscription bundle).  Neither would stop people from using GV, but it would move people into thinking that they should evaluate their needs and expectations, as some of those alternatives may be a better match for their needs (and it would end the "GV is free" delusion).

SteveInWA

That would sure eliminate most of the "pathological cheapskates" who insist that telephone service should be a free entitlement for all, regardless of skill level or cognitive ability, and that their ancient SPA2102 or PAP2T should work with Google Voice.

But, I doubt Google will put up any barriers to consumer use of the service -- that would not be "Googly".