News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Why is GV911.com (bulkvs.com) considered "dubious", "unreliable" or inferior?

Started by ppan, July 20, 2018, 01:40:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ppan

I have had an account with bulkvs.com for E911 service for more than 2 years.

I have been using it with my Linksys device, Simon Gateway and Google Voice (GV).
I have confirmed that it works by calling "911" and explaining to the operator that I needed to confirm that it worked and that they got my correct address. Everything was OK.

I now read several comments on this forum that GV911.com is "dubious" or an "unreliable" E911 service provider. Instead CallCentric and Anveo were recommended.

Why is GV911.com (bulkvs.com) considered inferior?

SteveInWA

Do you really think saving a couple bucks a year is worth it for 911 emergency calling service?

Here's the point:  Anveo and Callcentric are long-time, established SIP VoIP service providers, with legitimate places of business, points of contact, and a long track record of providing the service.  GV911.com is none of those things -- it was created by some anonymous individual, apparently just for OBi users.

There is no risk to using a one-person-business (i.e. Circlenet) for ordinary outbound calling.  If that person stops supporting the service, one can just use another service.  But, 8 months from now, if you have a true emergency, and calling 911 stops working, you could end up dead.  So, you decide.

ppan

Quote from: SteveInWA on July 20, 2018, 01:48:21 PM
Do you really think saving a couple bucks a year is worth it for 911 emergency calling service?

Here's the point:  Anveo and Callcentric are long-time, established SIP VoIP service providers, with legitimate places of business, points of contact, and a long track record of providing the service.  GV911.com is none of those things -- it was created by some anonymous individual, apparently just for OBi users.

There is no risk to using a one-person-business (i.e. Circlenet) for ordinary outbound calling.  If that person stops supporting the service, one can just use another service.  But, 8 months from now, if you have a true emergency, and calling 911 stops working, you could end up dead.  So, you decide.

I have not used GV911.com but bulkvs (https://www.bulk911.com/index.html). They have been in business for many years (I do not know how many). They have been selling E911 service in bulk/wholesale for $0.72 per month and TN. Bulkvs is definitely not a one person operation.

I believe that they recently started GV911 to support individuals rather than wholesale clients, at a slightly higher price of $12/year.

I was hoping for some concrete info on why bulkvs would not be as reliable as Callcentric or Anveo.

SteveInWA

That's as "concrete" as I can make it.  It sounds like you've made up your own mind, so there's no point in continuing this discussion.

voiper2020

Just wanted to offer some recent feedback on GV911.

We came across the GV911 service in December of 2019 and decided to given them a try for a new OBiTAlk Google Voice line.

On a 1 to 5 basis where 5 is 'Most Difficult' and 1 is 'Easiest'....setting up GV911 was about a ( 2 ) in our estimation.

The documentation needed to get things configured was solid...and no more difficult to navigate than the initial Google Voice - OBiTalk setup...so users utilizing ObiTalk and Google Voice should have no issue following the few steps needed to get GV911 Set-Up.

Paying for the service was a Snap. You will require a PayPal account to complete this...which most would agree is better than typing in your Credit Card number.

After the Payment was Made and the OBi Config was complete....I connected with the GV911 Support eMail alias to inquire how long provisioning would take and they responded in minutes.  By the time we received their mail the provisioning was complete.

We went on to Test the GV911 service via its native 922 Call-back feature and a separate Direct Call to 9-1-1....and 100% of everything check-out perfectly.

For what its worth, the GV911 Service seems to operate exactly as represented.

lhm.

Works well for me.  One account # serves 3 outbound lines with same CID.

Myth

It seems good to me. The signup and configuration was easy. I like that I can verify that it works by calling 922, and then it reads back the phone number and address.

ubergoober

I've used it for a real emergency situation.  I dialed.  I got connected.  The ambulance rolled.  It arrived at the correct address.  My wife is alive.

T

vintagemoment

GV911, Bulk911 and GVCNAM are all the same by the looks of things. The site is a bit sketchy to say the least. I went with Callcentric for E911.

seanfl

could someone help me understand how to approach E911 with my setup?

I have a total of four Obihai phones (1062, 1032, etc.) in two different locations. I'd like to sign up for E911 service so that at each location they get the correct address. This would likely need TWO E911 accounts, correct? Or would I need an account for each phone? Can I use the same account for all the phones at ONE location? Thank you for guidance.

lyric1011

I found GV911 to have excellent customer service.  I had a typo so accidentally created two GV911 accounts.  My payment of $12 was credited to the account with a typo.  I emailed them- not understanding why I could not see the money in the account.  They replied at start of business.  We had to go back and forth twice (they always replied within minutes), and they moved the money into the correct account and cancelled the one with a typo.

Just a heads up- I found that I had to use these instructions on the Obitalk site to finish provisioning the E911 service:
Objective: Provision your OBI device with 911 and 922 service from www.gv911.com Prerequisites: Please have your Google Voice Number registered with www.gv911.com for 911 Dialing 911 – Will call the 911 operator Dialing 922 – Will play back the address the operator will see. When you call 911. ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Step1: Log in to OBI Talk's website http://www.obitalk.com/obinet/login
Step2: Once logged in click on SP1 (or your equivalent port which your number is assigned to) and accept the notice
Step3
Click on the "OBI Expert Configuration" toward the bottom of the page
Step4
When prompted if you are sure you want to enter OBI Expert Configuration click ok
Step5 Click on the "Enter OBI Expert" button
Step6 On the left hand side, click on "Service Providers" and then "ITSP Profile A General" which is located under Service Providers

Step7: Uncheck OBI TALK Settings for "Digit Map"
Step8: Uncheck Device Default for DigitMap
Step9: Uncheck "ObiTalk Settings" and "Device Default" for DigitMap and replace the current entry with (<911:14242798234>S0|<922:14242798235>S0|1xxxxxxxxxx|<1>[2-9]xxxxxxxxx|011xx.|xx.|(Mipd)|[^*#]@@.)
And press submit on the bottom of the page
Step10:
Reboot your OBI device so it could download the new Digit Map for your device Step 11:
Dial 922 from your phone connected to your OBI device and confirm the address. NOTE: 911 testing should be scheduled with your local 911 provider.