News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

obi200 does not ring on incoming calls to google voice

Started by RobertH, July 21, 2018, 10:35:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RobertH

This a fresh install of Google Voice on the obi200.  Everything seems to go smoothly on the setup of GV and I am able to make calls out.  Incoming calls will not ring my phone and the calls eventually go to voicemail.  Looking at the settings in Legacy Google Voice, I can see that calls are being forwarded to my
OBiTALK device.  No where in these settings can I find a reference to Google Chat.  Is there some other setting that I am missing ?

SteveInWA

There is not enough information in your post to diagnose the problem, since it could have one of several different issues.

The first thing to check is whether or not you actually authorized/connected the OBi 200 to the correct Google/Gmail/Google Voice account.  It is possible to connect to an account that has no Google Voice phone number, and thus, no number to which calls can be forwarded. 

There are two easy ways to determine this.  Call some other number from your OBi-attached telephone.  Look at the numeric caller ID on the called party's phone.  Is it your Google Voice inbound phone number?  If not, you are connected to the wrong Google account. 

Next, open a web browser on a desktop/laptop computer, not on a phone or tablet.  If you're using Google Chrome browser or Safari, press Ctrl-Shift-N to open an "incognito" browsing window, or, if you're using Firefox, press Ctrl-Shift-P to open a "private browsing" window.  In that window sign into the one and only Gmail account that holds your Google Voice number.  Go here:  https://voice.google.com/settings.  You should see your Google Voice number at the top of the page.  Now, leaving that incognito/private window open, press Ctrl-T to open another browser tab.  Sign into the OBiTALK web portal here:  http://www.obitalk.com/obinet/pg/obhdev.  Click your device, then click the SP1-SP4 configuration that holds your Google Voice connection.  Find the Gmail address it is using and compare it to the one in the Google Voice tab.  Is it the same?

RobertH

I checked that Google Voice phone number is that shows on my caller id is the correct number that I am trying to set up.  Verified that the gmail account found in SP1 is correct.  As stated earlier, Google Voice is being forwarded to my OBiTALK device.  I have also set Google Voice to forward to cell phone as well as OBiTALK, and the calls will come to my cell, but still will not ring the phone plugged in to the OBI 200.

dvddavid

Quote from: RobertH on July 22, 2018, 07:17:56 AM
I checked that Google Voice phone number is that shows on my caller id is the correct number that I am trying to set up.  Verified that the gmail account found in SP1 is correct.  As stated earlier, Google Voice is being forwarded to my OBiTALK device.  I have also set Google Voice to forward to cell phone as well as OBiTALK, and the calls will come to my cell, but still will not ring the phone plugged in to the OBI 200.

What happens if you de-select having calls go to your mobile and only have them forwarded to the Obi? Does it ring your device then?

RobertH

OK, I deselected the call forwarding to my mobile device, and still no joy on the obi 200 ringing my phone.  Is there any sort of diagnostic that I can run on the 200 to see if the ringer is working ?

dvddavid

Quote from: RobertH on July 22, 2018, 08:00:13 AM
OK, I deselected the call forwarding to my mobile device, and still no joy on the obi 200 ringing my phone.  Is there any sort of diagnostic that I can run on the 200 to see if the ringer is working ?

I know it's possible to look at the phone port voltages in expert settings but thats above my skill level. I'm new to VOIP myself.

I know when a call comes in the LED for the phone port blinks, does this happen when you make a test call to that number?

RobertH

An incoming call does not cause the led on the 200 to blink; it stays a steady green.  It would seem that GV is just not forwarding the call.  There is probably something obvious that I am overlooking in the GV settings.

azrobert

Quote from: RobertH on July 22, 2018, 08:00:13 AM
Is there any sort of diagnostic that I can run on the 200 to see if the ringer is working ?

Define a speed dial: aa(0)
Dial the speed dial number
Let it ring once and hang up
The Auto Attendant will ring the phone

SteveInWA

Quote from: RobertH on July 22, 2018, 09:37:29 AM
An incoming call does not cause the led on the 200 to blink; it stays a steady green.  It would seem that GV is just not forwarding the call.  There is probably something obvious that I am overlooking in the GV settings.

Delete all of the linked/forwarding phone numbers completely of of your Google Voice settings page (this will not harm anything).

Call your Google Voice phone number from some other, unrelated phone number.  Watch the Phone LED on the OBi.  It should start blinking on and off.  If it blinks, but the phone doesn't ring, then you have a defective telephone, telephone cord, or you've turned the ringer off on the phone.

If the Phone LED does not blink at all, then you have a Google Voice problem.  Go to the OBiTALK dashboard and completely delete the Google Voice SPx.  Wait at least a few minutes, and you should see your device being remotely reconfigured.  After that's done, add the Google Voice configuration back again and repeat your test.

RobertH

First, I say thanks for all the suggestions.  I tried the speed dial for aa(0) and never heard it ring, but got a busy signal after a while.  Now for the latest wrinkle:  I deleted SP1 (Google) waited a few minutes and went through the GV setup again.  The configuration process took a few minutes to complete and now the status shows as Offline  :-\

SteveInWA

Let it sit for an hour, then check the status again.  If it is still showing offline, then pull the power plug and insert it again, let it boot up and check the status again.  Do not repeatedly try to reboot it many times in a short time period, as Google may reject the connection attempts.

Note that "offline" status means that the OBiTALK service cannot contact your device.  It does not reflect the status of an individual SPx.  The status of each SPx is shown independently on the dashboard.  If you removed the device from OBiTALK and you're trying to configure it locally, don't do that.

RobertH

After two hours the status was still Offline.  I deleted the device and did a hardware reset of the OBi200.   The device now shows as connected, but the results are the same -- still does not ring through. 

SteveInWA

Quote from: RobertH on July 22, 2018, 05:01:48 PM
I deleted the device and did a hardware reset of the OBi200.   The device now shows as connected, but the results are the same -- still does not ring through. 

??? ??? ???

Something is fishy, but without the ability to post screenshots, I can't see what you are doing.  I recommend that you patiently and methodically follow every step in my instructions, here:

http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=13868.msg89076#msg89076

RobertH

Thanks Steve.  I followed your instructions to the letter but still have the same results.  I can call out, but an incoming call does not ring or even get the phone led on the 200 to blink.

RobertH

I just added a second GV account and set it up on the 0bi200.  Now I am able to send and receive calls on this new number that Google assigned to the second account.  Maybe the missing bit of information that I should have mentioned in my initial post is that the original phone number that I am trying to forward to the 200 device was ported in to GV.  Could that make a difference?

SteveInWA

Quote from: RobertH on July 23, 2018, 09:32:52 AM
I just added a second GV account and set it up on the 0bi200.  Now I am able to send and receive calls on this new number that Google assigned to the second account.  Maybe the missing bit of information that I should have mentioned in my initial post is that the original phone number that I am trying to forward to the 200 device was ported in to GV.  Could that make a difference?

Good work!  I was actually opening your thread to suggest you try that.  So  yeah, there is something wrong with your first account.  How long ago did you port in the number?  Was it a land line that you subsequently ported into a mobile carrier to get around the restriction on land line porting?

RobertH

The phone number that I ported in was a former landline number that was ported in to GV via Tracfone.  This process completed over a week ago and I have been able to make outgoing calls with that "new" number showing on caller i.d. .  I will try a post on the GV forum to see if anyone there has seen this issue.

SteveInWA

Well, that may explain it.

Porting is a multi-stage process.  Provisioning inbound calling and outbound calling are separate steps, and it is easy to provision outbound calling.  Inbound calling is one of the final steps, and it has opportunities to go awry.

If you post over on the GV help forum, reply here with a link to that post, so I can try to help you over there.