News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Can I delete the Mobile # that I used to initially set up the GV account?

Started by EllenTracy, July 22, 2018, 01:26:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EllenTracy

Hi,

I have a Google Voice # that I transferred from TMO which was transferred from Vonage and this number is on my Obi 202 and is working fine. I'm able to make both Incoming and Outgoing calls.

In the Legacy GV Settings I have my GV # (as described above) that I paid Google the $20 fee for Porting. NP.

I also have 2 "Forward Calls to" numbers:
1) Obi 202 (xxx xxx xxx) and
2) a Mobile # that I used to initially set up the GV account. (Delete?)

Can I now delete #2) The Mobile # that I used to initially set up the GV account?

I would only leave the 1) Obi 202 as the "Forward Calls to" number.

I have both and [Edit] and [Delete] buttons on BOTH of my "Forward Calls to" numbers.

It's not clear from the Help Forums how this should work. I've checked both Obi and GV forums, so a direct Yes/No and an optional link to any posting would be most helpful.

Thanks

SteveInWA

Hi:

Google Voice is an inbound call forwarding service.  When someone calls your Google Voice number, it will simultaneously forward the call to all of the verified, enabled linked phone numbers (up to six numbers) on your Google Voice settings page.  It will also forward to all OBiTALK devices you've configured to use that account, and to any Hangouts clients you've set to ring on inbound calls.

If you don't want the mobile number to receive those forwarded calls, you can delete it.  However, having at least one 10-digit number is essential, if you want to access your Google Voice voicemail over the phone when you're away from the OBi.  Google Voice uses the linked/forwarding number as a means of authentication to access voicemail. 

What's your motivation to delete the mobile number?  If it actually belongs to someone else, then delete it.  If you plan to keep active/paid telephone service on that number, then don't delete it.

EllenTracy

Hi SteveInWA: Many thanks for the info!

I just didn't want to lose my GV# that I just ported in.

I want to free up that mobile number because it's not mine and I don't want it ringing. I turned off all of the forwarding that I could find. The Legacy settings have much better control of this.

I don't really care about calling my voicemail. The transcripts are good enough.

Regards!