News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

can plolycom confirm/list which model working with new google hangout/voice

Started by trt1972rtr, July 22, 2018, 01:50:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trt1972rtr

can plolycom confirm/list which model working with new google hangout/voice

As below message said, the XMPP is phasing out, just wonder can you/obitalk/plolycom confirm/list which model working with new google hangout/voice

is obi100 included in the list ------firmware update to all current OBiTALK products?

will the obi200 work future/after July 13th 2018?

or
can you give a list of model which is out of support and no more working

and another list of model which is supported and going to /continue to work with new GV?

so that we can order the right model

thanks

===============================================

Google has finally retired and shut down its XMPP support, as of July 13th, 2018.

Here is the official announcement from Google:  https://productforums.google.com/d/topic/voice/NYRy5U31o98/discussion

Polycom and Google have been planning for, and collaborating on, the next-generation interoperability for OBiTALK devices, and the solution is now rolling out, via a firmware update to all current OBiTALK products.  Google Voice use on OBiTALK devices will continue to be officially supported by Google*. * Disclaimer:  "supported" means that OBiTALK devices work with Google Voice, not that Google supplies end-user technical support, nor hardware (warranty service) support.

This happened in conjunction with the newly-announced Google Voice WiFi/4G VoIP calling feature, and OBi devices will be managed on the Google Voice website UI (https://voice.google.com/settings), just like Android devices and conventional phone numbers.

This change marks the next phase in Google's major overhaul of the Google Voice service and its infrastructure, and it will enable OBiTALK products to benefit from performance and reliability improvements designed into the new Google Voice platform, as well as supporting emerging technology, such as wideband audio on calls, depending on device and carrier support.

This should eliminate any doubt that Google remains committed to support and future enhancements to Google Voice, and to Polycom's support for the Google Voice service.

I am sure that there will be many questions going forward, and I expect that more information will be released shortly on how the migration will take place.

Answering a beta-related question:  this will resolve the interoperability issue between Google Voice's WiFi/VoIP calling feature and OBiTALK device support.  To be clear, this means that OBiTALK product users will be able to make and receive Google Voice calls, regardless of platform:  via an OBiTALK product, a conventional 10-digt US telephone number, or via the mobile Google Voice apps, using either their carrier connection or WiFi or 4G data.  See my screenshot below.

I've attached a snippet of the new Google Voice web UI, showing one of my OBiTALK devices enabled.  Each device will have a separate entry in Google Voice settings.
===========================