News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

How to configure the LAN port

Started by dvddavid, July 26, 2018, 10:16:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dvddavid

Curious on what configuration is available? Right now if I connect my Hue light bridge to the LAN port my Hue bridge can access Internet but is not seen on my local network. It defaults to an IP of 192.168.10.100. Where is this assigned? I'm assuming the Obi is DHCP.

drgeoff

Quote from: dvddavid on July 26, 2018, 10:16:15 AM
Curious on what configuration is available? Right now if I connect my Hue light bridge to the LAN port my Hue bridge can access Internet but is not seen on my local network. It defaults to an IP of 192.168.10.100. Where is this assigned? I'm assuming the Obi is DHCP.
Like most equipment, OBis can be configured to request an IP address, DNS address and gateway address from a DHCP server.  Or those parameters can be configured manually, ie static IP.  DHCP is the default.

The DHCP/static choice is not available in the "basic" section of the Obitalk portal.  It is available through Expert Mode on the portal or through the device's on-board web-server configuration interface.

Normally there is no reason to change from the default DHCP.

dvddavid

Thanks for the reply.

I was looking at the router config settings in expert settings. Do you know perhaps what settings I would need to change to have that port appear on my local network, like if it was an extender?

drgeoff

Quote from: dvddavid on July 26, 2018, 12:02:15 PM
Thanks for the reply.

I was looking at the router config settings in expert settings. Do you know perhaps what settings I would need to change to have that port appear on my local network, like if it was an extender?
Not sure what you are asking.

The OBi202 contains a router, so I assume that is what you are referring to.  By default its two ethernet ports are on different subnets, the one marked INTERNET using DHCP to get its parameters (probably from your router) and the other (marked LAN) having a 192.168.10.1 address and acting as a DHCP server.  It is possible to turn off the router function so that the OBi202 is operating in bridge mode.  That is covered in the Admin Guide.

Another option is not to use the LAN port at all.  Just connect the INTERNET port to your router like you do for your computer(s) etc.  By default the onboard management interface is not available from the INTERNET port but again there is an option to enable that.

What's behind your question?  What problem do you have or what are you wanting to achieve?

dvddavid

Quote from: drgeoff on July 26, 2018, 01:28:11 PM
Quote from: dvddavid on July 26, 2018, 12:02:15 PM
Thanks for the reply.

Not sure what you are asking.

The OBi202 contains a router, so I assume that is what you are referring to.  By default its two ethernet ports are on different subnets, the one marked INTERNET using DHCP to get its parameters (probably from your router) and the other (marked LAN) having a 192.168.10.1 address and acting as a DHCP server.  It is possible to turn off the router function so that the OBi202 is operating in bridge mode.  That is covered in the Admin Guide.

Another option is not to use the LAN port at all.  Just connect the INTERNET port to your router like you do for your computer(s) etc.  By default the onboard management interface is not available from the INTERNET port but again there is an option to enable that.

What's behind your question?  What problem do you have or what are you wanting to achieve?

Thanks for being patient and replying back again. I'm sure I wasn't being clear.

I have my Obi device over in a corner of my house by my phones main base unit. Was where the old POTS line outlet was. I only have a single ethernet port in that area and it was being used by my Philips Hue light bridge. Since the Obi device has a LAN ethernet port I was hoping to use that port to use to connect my Hue hub. Save me having to put a switch there to have 2 ethernet ports.

Now it works only halfway, as my Hue bridge can access the internet, but cannot be seen on my local network. My home network is 192.168.1.x. I'd love to have that LAN port also be available to my home network, ie on the 192.168.1.xx network.

drgeoff

Easy.

Put the 202 into bridge mode.  That makes it a 3-port ethernet switch.  Two external jacks and one internal "port" for the core OBi stuff.

Simplest way to put into bridge mode is to dial ***0 and select option 31.  See pages 30 and 31 of https://www.obitalk.com/info/documents/admin_guide/OBiDeviceAdminGuide.pdf

dvddavid

Thank you so much this worked just dandy.

I'm sorry for such a late reply but I must have missed you reply till now.

RichOBi202

Thanks for providing the ***0 programming information to set Bridge mode.  I successfully did that with a wired WAN connection.  Does anybody know a way to set the OBi202 to act like a wireless bridge using the OBiWiFi5G?  Putting the OBi202 into bridge mode with the OBiWiFi5G without a wired ethernet connection does not put the unit into a wireless bridge.  Maybe this can't be done, but maybe somebody has done just this with another parameter setting.  I have the OBi202 remotely deployed on the other side of the house and need another wired ethernet device on the same subnet.

drgeoff

Quote from: RichOBi202 on November 17, 2018, 06:09:26 AM
Thanks for providing the ***0 programming information to set Bridge mode.  I successfully did that with a wired WAN connection.  Does anybody know a way to set the OBi202 to act like a wireless bridge using the OBiWiFi5G?  Putting the OBi202 into bridge mode with the OBiWiFi5G without a wired ethernet connection does not put the unit into a wireless bridge.  Maybe this can't be done, but maybe somebody has done just this with another parameter setting.  I have the OBi202 remotely deployed on the other side of the house and need another wired ethernet device on the same subnet.
AFAIK that is not an intended modus operandi and is not possible.

azrobert

if you have an old router, you might be able to use it as a wireless bridge. See:
http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=5229.msg33913#msg33913

RichOBi202

Thanks drgeoff, now I can stop messing around trying to make the impossible happen.

Thanks azrobert, I have that exact model old router laying around - looks like a great fun re-purposing project!