News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Configuring new network on obiwifi WITHOUT ethernet access

Started by skinnydoc, October 15, 2018, 10:33:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

skinnydoc

Hi All....

I previously had trouble setting up OBIwifi at a rental home, with no direct ethernet access.   So I brought the Obi200 and the obiwifi back to my home, and configured the OBi 200 via direct connection to my router.   And I got the Obiwifi working on my home wireless network.

Question:  I want to move the obi out to this other house, where there is an open wireless network (no password), and where there is NO access to plugging into an ethernet port (internet service has to get beamed in).    I am asking because I want to avoid driving way out there and not be able to make this work.

What are the steps I need to take to get the obiwifi working out there?

1) plug in obi200
2) plug in obiwifi dongle
3) ?? will be looking for home wifi... need to reset obiwifi I assume?   But DONT want to reset Obi200

I see the little reset button flush on the obiwifi dongle, should I for instance hold it down while plugging it in, then go looking for the obitalk wireless network?   Then try and reset the obiwifi to the new wireless network?   This is where setup gets pretty weird in my experience.   

Pls advise exact steps and tips, so I dont waste the long drive out!!
I couldnt find anything online about resetting the obiwifi dongle itself.

Thanks!

skinnydoc

not sure if I am getting notifications.... says zero but I keep hitting "notify".  : (

skinnydoc

http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=13743.0

I looked under "expert" settings and all the wifi info is blank, so no present config at my home wireless... so that is confusing.  

I would put in new wifi network info as discussed above?    Im concerned this wont work once I'm out there, so seeking good info.

TRIED MULTIPLE TIMES TO ATTACH SCREENSHOT, JPG AND PNG, NO LUCH

azrobert

If you have a computer connected to the network and need to make changes on you OBi, you can by connecting the OBi to the computer. You first have to bridge the wired and wireless connections on the computer.

Bridge the adapters/Windows 10:
Right click on WiFi ICON
Open Network & Internet Settings
Click WiFi
Click Change Adapter Options
Click Organize and Select All
Right Click one of the adapters and select Bridge Connections
The network bridge will indicate "Identifying"
Wait until the Bridge connects to the network
Now plug the OBi into the computer
The Local Connection status should turn to Enabled Bridged and the OBi will connect to the network

Disconnect the bridge by right clicking on an adapter and select Remove from Bridge
Do the same for the other adapter

Edit:
You can run this way without an OBi WiFi