News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Calling from Google Voice Web

Started by NickNH007, July 27, 2018, 08:47:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NickNH007

Hi! I upgraded from obi100 to obi200. Now, using legacy google voice web interface, when I want to make a call from my computer and ring the analog phone on the obitalk device I get "we had an error".

I believe for "phone to call with" on the obi100 it showed my google voice number. Now it shows OBiTALK Device - XXX...

I have verified I have the latest firmware and for kicks I disabled the Simonics Gateway.

This isn't critical but highly convenient. Everything else with the obi200 works fine.

Thanks in advance for your help!

SteveInWA

You can't do that.

If you want to have Google Voice ring your desk phone first, you need to link (add) a real, 10-digit forwarding phone number, and then select that number as the target.

azrobert

Quote from: SteveInWA on July 27, 2018, 12:48:23 PM
You can't do that.

In the past there wasn't an option for the OBiTalk device. Now there is the option. If you can't use it, why is it listed? I get the same result.

SteveInWA

The legacy CALL button has always popped up a list of all the forwarding destinations.  Bridging to Chat wasn't supported, and bridging to a SIP device still isn't supported.  It just wasn't elegantly designed to hide the devices that can't be used.

The new web UI hides the inapplicable devices.

NickNH007

What confuses me is that I was able to initiate a call to bridge my GV number from the legacy Google Voice web Call button using the OBiTalk 100. Intellectually at least I would like to understand what changed with the 200.

SteveInWA

Nothing changed as a result of your device upgrade.  That's how it works.  If you were making bridged calls, then you were having Google Voice call you on a real telephone number you had set up on your OBi, such as a free inbound number from Callcentric, or any other telephone number.  The change that may be confusing you, is that Google shut down the Chat/Talk/XMPP infrastructure, so there is no longer a Chat destination.