News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Hooking Obi100 to an in-wall phone jack and connection issues w/ Google Voice

Started by joshthetechie, September 02, 2011, 08:13:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joshthetechie

Hi all,
I just bought the Obi100 and I was wondering if this will work:

I have the Obi100 connected to my wireless N router at one end of the apartment. I connected the Obi100 to the in-wall phone jack (there is currently no phone service installed) and then I connected the phone to another phone jack in the kitchen. I do get a dial-tone and I am able to make and receive calls from there.

Is this supported? And is this okay to do? I have had some issues with the Obi reconnecting to Google Voice at intervals. When this happens, I get the "There is no service available to complete this call" message when I try to make a call. Also, the phone light on the Obi is not lit. Then about a minute later, there is connection again and I am able to make and receive calls. Is this an issue with the configuration, or is this because I don't have the phone connected directly to the Obi100?

Thanks!

jimates

the problem is not with the extended wiring, the wiring configuration is fine.

You need to check the Obi and see what the status is when you get the error message.

joshthetechie

Quote from: jimates on September 02, 2011, 08:41:05 PM
the problem is not with the extended wiring, the wiring configuration is fine.

You need to check the Obi and see what the status is when you get the error message.

Okay...when I went to the configuration page (192.xxx.x.x) I saw that it was trying to connect to google voice..."connecting to (IP address here)." Did I misconfigure something when I set it up? On the Obitalk page it showed that the obi was online.

anshuman26

no issues with your wiring as mentioned earlier....

try resetting the device to factory default and try again?

joshthetechie

Quote from: anshuman26 on September 03, 2011, 08:52:02 PM
no issues with your wiring as mentioned earlier....

try resetting the device to factory default and try again?

Yes, and I still had the same problems. But I did some research and tried setting a static IP address and then changing the DNS settings to Google's DNS servers. The Obi has been running since yesterday evening and I haven't noticed it disconnecting yet.  :D I'm going to give it a few days to see if it keeps running this way.