News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Obi202 flashing phone port

Started by jbailey, July 28, 2018, 09:41:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jbailey

Received my 202 Thursday, 7-26-2018, from Newegg. Followed the Quick Start Guide and made the test call. It works except that the phone port light keeps blinking. I made sure the cord was plugged in and phone was hung up--still flashing.

Should I ignore it or do a factory reset with ***8 as Steve suggests here
http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=13495.0

Thanks for any advice.

SteveInWA

Howdy:  just to confirm, looking at the 202 from above, with the LEDs facing you (in other words, right-side up), the left most LED is for power.  It should stay on steadily.  The next LED is the internet connection, and it should flicker periodically to show activity, and then there are two LEDs, for phone port #1 and #2.  Those LEDs should blink at a regular interval when the attached phone is off the hook.

If you are not on a call, and a telephone is plugged into the phone port, and that phone port's LED is blinking on and off, then the telephone is defective.  If you have plugged the OBi into your home's telephone wiring, then another phone is off the hook, or you have a short in the wiring.  If you are using your home's telephone wiring, you must physically disconnect the pair of wires coming into your premises from the phone company, as it will damage the phone port in the OBi and/or make that LED blink.

jbailey

SteveInWA, thanks for your reply. I also have my computer ethernet cable connected to the LAN port on the OBi202 and it flashes intermittently also.

The Obi is not connected to house wiring--just computer, phone, outlet, and modem.

When plugging in my cordless phone base to phone port 1 or 2, the light does not come on except when the cordless phone is in use or off hook, and then it blinks as it should. But when hung up, no green light.

As long as it functions, should i be concerned? I have not added my Obi to Obitalk yet.

Thanks for any suggestions.

SteveInWA

I'm a bit unclear as to your problem.  The internet light should flicker as long as the device is connected.  This is simply showing that there's some traffic on the LAN.  Most internet-connected devices do that, if not on a front-panel LED, then on the tiny LEDs on the sides of the Ethernet jack.

The phone LEDs should blink on and off at a steady rate when the phone is off hook.  The blinking is at regular intervals and is not the same as the flickering internet LED.  It's just telling you that the phone is off-hook.

Add the device to OBiTALK and continue setting it up, and then report back if there is a problem.

drgeoff

Quote from: jbailey on July 28, 2018, 10:38:55 PM
When plugging in my cordless phone base to phone port 1 or 2, the light does not come on except when the cordless phone is in use or off hook, and then it blinks as it should. But when hung up, no green light.
You will not get a solid green PHONE LED until the OBi is successfully connected to a Service Provider.