News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Problem OBI200 calling OBI110

Started by Chong, July 24, 2018, 07:31:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chong

I have a working OBI110 and a new OBI200. I can call OBI200 number from OBI110 using **9 but cannot call OBI110 using new OBI200 using the same **9 way (I can hear it is calling but no answer or message).  I want to give to my relative the old OBI110 and I will have OBI200 so we can keep in touch. I know OBI110 is without any support and I wanted to use as much as I can the old OBI110 until it dies. If this is not possible any suggestion on how I can old OBI110 to only make and receive call from my OBI200. Thanks for your help.

drgeoff

It should work.

If you dial **9 222 222 222 at the OBi200, do you successfully reach the echo test?

Chong

Yes, I did run this testing, calling to run echo test was successful.

Chong

Is there any way to check log calling to determine why calling to old OBI110 is not working?
Some additional information, from the either OBI device I can make calls to any cell phone using **2. When I try to call from the OBI200 the GV associated to OBI110 get the same result, I can hear is calling but no answer.

Demos

If you hear a ringback tone when calling the OBI-110, have you picked up the telephone set that's plugged into the Telephone port of the OBI-110 to trip the ring and complete a call connection between the OBI-200 & OBI-110?

Using a cable with one end RJ-11 modular plugged into the OBI-110, and the other end with the center two wire conductors stripped bare, use a multimeter and test for DC current across the T&R (Pins 4&5 of the OBI-110) wire pair. You should measure -48VDC, or at least -24VDC when idle (Non talk state). Ring voltages should be about 50 to 40VAC RMS.

I don't know if the OBI ATA's carry an FCC Pat 68 registration number (OL-13A/B/C), so my comments with DC line supervisory and 20Hz ring voltages are an approximate guess that I will test.

azrobert

Quote from: Chong on July 24, 2018, 07:31:02 AM
I want to give to my relative the old OBI110 and I will have OBI200 so we can keep in touch. If this is not possible any suggestion on how I can old OBI110 to only make and receive call from my OBI200.

Which is more important to you? There are other methods to call between 2 OBi devices.

You can make/receive calls to your relative if he/she has a smartphone and installs a softphone. The relative can even use an old cell that doesn't have an active calling plan. This way you can have both.

QuoteI can make calls to any cell phone using **2.
What provider to you have defined on SP2?

SteveInWA

Quote from: Chong on July 24, 2018, 08:34:24 AM
Some additional information, from the either OBI device I can make calls to any cell phone using **2. When I try to call from the OBI200 the GV associated to OBI110 get the same result, I can hear is calling but no answer.

There is a grammar problem here.  Try again.  Do you mean:

"My OBi 200 has Google Voice set up on it"

"My OBi 110 used to have Google Voice set up on it, and it doesn't work"

"I tried calling the 110 using Google Voice on the 200"

...and/or what, exactly?

Are you the original owner of the 110, or did you buy it from eBay or Craigslist?

Is this 110 added onto your OBiTALK dashboard?  If so, click on it, then click "Delete Device" and wait for the 110's red LED to go on for a while then go off.  Then, pick up the phone attached to the 110, key in ***8 then 1 to reset it to factory defaults.

After it successfully resets, turn it upside down and look at the 9-digit OBi number.  Call **9 followed by that OBi number, from your 200.  You should hear ringing on the caller's end, and the phone plugged into the OBi 110's PHONE (NOT the "LINE" jack should ring.

What, exactly, do you as the caller on the 200 hear, and what, exactly, happens on the 110?  The expected behavior is that the 110's PHONE LED (third from the left when looking at the device with the words "OBi110" facing the top) should blink, and the attached phone should ring.

Demos

On OBI-xxx ATA's, when a call is processed, it is assumed that the audible ring back tone is generated at the near end  (Originating ATA), so hearing a ringback tone does not constitute a completed connection to a target OBI-110 ATA (FXS).

Since calls can be processed outbound from the OBI-110 to the OBI-200, then the electrical segment of the OBI-110 appears to be working (DV Current detection). As indicated in my post, a test call should be made from the OBI-200 to the OBI-110 ATA. Upon hearing the audible ringback tone after dialing, the telephone connected to the OBI-110 should go Off Hook to determine if the call can be tripped (Ringback tone stopped) to indicate call completion. At this point there should be a voice continuity path between the two telephones.   

If the Telephone set at the OBI-110 goes off hook and does not trip the ring heard in the originating telephone receiver, more than likely the call could have been sent to some other device. Audible ringback tones heard in a receiver are independent of 20Hz ringing generator current cadence applied by the FXS interface to cause the a telephone set ringer to operate in a telephone.

The above will help determine if a physical, or configuration trouble is at the root cause.

Chong

I followed your suggestion: From OBI200 I dialed **9 XX to OBI110 I hear the calling tone from phone attached to OBI200 but no ringing tone from phone attached to the OBI110. I can see phone light from OBI200 device blinking and in the OBI110 I also see phone light blinking, so I decided to lift the phone attached to OBI110 and was able to talk to phone attached to OBI200. This is telling me that a connection was stablished between both OBI devices, so the problem can be configuration on the OBI110 why ringing from incoming call from OBI200 is not working.
I used a new phone attached to OBI110 just to remove the possibility that ringing tone was not working from the phone. Can someone tell we what do I need to change in OBI110 configuration so that incoming call from another OBI will make phone to ring?  or is something different that is causing this problem? Please help.

drgeoff

Quote from: Chong on July 26, 2018, 10:30:34 AM
I followed your suggestion: From OBI200 I dialed **9 XX to OBI110 I hear the calling tone from phone attached to OBI200 but no ringing tone from phone attached to the OBI110. I can see phone light from OBI200 device blinking and in the OBI110 I also see phone light blinking, so I decided to lift the phone attached to OBI110 and was able to talk to phone attached to OBI200. This is telling me that a connection was stablished between both OBI devices, so the problem can be configuration on the OBI110 why ringing from incoming call from OBI200 is not working.
I used a new phone attached to OBI110 just to remove the possibility that ringing tone was not working from the phone. Can someone tell we what do I need to change in OBI110 configuration so that incoming call from another OBI will make phone to ring?  or is something different that is causing this problem? Please help.
From the above it looks like there is a problem with the ringing voltage generator in the OBi110.  Either the hardware circuitry is faulty or it has been configured to a voltage that is too low to make the phone ring.  Have a look at what voltage it is set to and try to increase it.  The setting is Physical Interfaces, Phone Port, Ringer, RingVoltage.  Some phones respond better when RingWaveform is set to Trapezoidal.

Chana

I followed your suggestion increasing ring voltage from 70 to 100 and change ringwaveform from sinusoidal to trapezoidal and reboot and problem continue no ring from OBI100. Try again increasing ring voltage again from 100 to 140, reboot and same problem. Any other suggestion? Thanks

drgeoff

Quote from: Chana on July 26, 2018, 02:18:40 PM
I followed your suggestion increasing ring voltage from 70 to 100 and change ringwaveform from sinusoidal to trapezoidal and reboot and problem continue no ring from OBI100. Try again increasing ring voltage again from 100 to 140, reboot and same problem. Any other suggestion? Thanks
On the 110
Define a speed dial: aa(0)
Dial the speed dial number
Let it ring once and hang up
The Auto Attendant will ring the phone

If the phone LED flashes but the phone does not ring I'm 99% certain the 110 has a hardware fault.  End of story.

Demos

I suggest that you use a Volt Ohm Meter (VOM), and make an AC measurement of the two wire Tip & Ring output from your OBI device. Make the AC measurement across the T&R pair using a cable that will permit you to connect the VOM to the two wires (Pins 4&5).

Minimum ring voltage is 55V RMS superimposed over -48VDC.

As a sanity check, have the phone(s) that you are using tested on a different ATA or incoming CO telephone line to insure that the ringer is functional. Assuming that the telephone set(s) test ok, then more than likely the ATA in question has a failed ringing component.

As a final course of action. Reset the ATA to factory values (***8/1) or equivalent reset code. Re-provision your ATA and repeat the call in test. If the telephone set ringer does not alert you to a call, then your ATA is faulty.

The OBI200 can be recycled as a gateway to/from GV or other VoIP service.

SteveInWA

Quote from: Demos on August 03, 2018, 04:23:29 PM
I suggest that you use a Volt Ohm Meter (VOM), and make an AC measurement of the two wire Tip & Ring output from your OBI device. Make the AC measurement across the T&R pair using a cable that will permit you to connect the VOM to the two wires (Pins 4&5).

Minimum ring voltage is 55V RMS superimposed over -48VDC.

As a sanity check, have the phone(s) that you are using tested on a different ATA or incoming CO telephone line to insure that the ringer is functional. Assuming that the telephone set(s) test ok, then more than likely the ATA in question has a failed ringing component.

As a final course of action. Reset the ATA to factory values (***8/1) or equivalent reset code. Re-provision your ATA and repeat the call in test. If the telephone set ringer does not alert you to a call, then your ATA is faulty.

The OBI200 can be recycled as a gateway to/from GV or other VoIP service.

No.  Don't use a VOM.  The average OBiTALK device customer is not an engineer.  The chances of a user shorting out the wires while doing that, and frying the OBi, aren't worth it.   The OBi device is capable of reporting those voltages itself, to its built-in web server.

These are not your father's ATAs.  There are no user-serviceable components inside, and the ring voltage generator is integrated into the SLIC module, not using a separate power supply voltage source.