News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Disable google voice mail

Started by qwer, July 31, 2018, 06:36:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

qwer

Is there any way to disable google voice mail so that my phone's answering machine will pick up?

GPz1100

Set your answering machine to pick up before gv mail.  We have ours set at 4 rings.

A_Friend

It would be nice if there was a way to set the ring-count-before-voicemail on GV.  I can't really use it to forward to my cell as cell towers here are typically congested and it often takes a while before the cell starts ringing.

Which is basically why I maintain my own DID and use that as my primary incoming, and GV ends up relegated to being an outgoing trunk with call-forwarding to my primary DID. 

And, because I'm doing (using the ITSP's website tools) simultaneous ring to two SIP accounts and a cellphone, I had the cell company shut off my voicemail so that doesn't answer at all.  I don't understand why this isn't an option with GV, too.

PasoDale

I want to disable google voicemail as well.  It picks up after 2 rings!!

These are googles directions..

On your computer, open Google Voice.
At the top left, open Menu Menu and then Legacy Google Voice. Google Voice will look different, but you're in the right place.
At the top right, open Settings Settings  and then Settings.
Click the "Phones" tab.
Under your forwarding phone, click Deactivate Google voicemail on this phone.
Follow the instructions to turn off Google voicemail.

But THERE IS NO forwarding phone or Deactivate Google voicemail.  Those options are NOT there.

drgeoff

Quote from: PasoDale on August 29, 2018, 12:23:01 PM
I want to disable google voicemail as well.  It picks up after 2 rings!!

These are googles directions..

On your computer, open Google Voice.
At the top left, open Menu Menu and then Legacy Google Voice. Google Voice will look different, but you're in the right place.
At the top right, open Settings Settings  and then Settings.
Click the "Phones" tab.
Under your forwarding phone, click Deactivate Google voicemail on this phone.
Follow the instructions to turn off Google voicemail.

But THERE IS NO forwarding phone or Deactivate Google voicemail.  Those options are NOT there.
1.  You cannot turn off Google Voice mail.  It will always pick up an incoming call to your GV number if not answered within about 25 seconds.

2.  You have not understood what that activate/de-activate feature you refer to does. It is not about GV VM answering calls to your GV number.  It is about GV accessing VMs recorded by any other provider's VM system on calls directly to that other number. The activate/deactivate is not applicable to an OBi device (OBis do not have VM) and does not appear.  Add a real phone number such as your cellphone and they will appear with a "?" help icon. Clicking the "?" returns:

If you get voicemails on your mobile, home, and work phones, you can use Google voicemail to check them all at once.

PasoDale

drgeoff - thank you.

For me GV picks up in 10 seconds (just after the second ring) , not enough time to get to the phone.  Are there any settings in GV I can change to fix this, or should I go with another provider?  Any suggestion is appreciated.

Paso Dale

drgeoff

Quote from: bean987 on September 05, 2018, 04:16:23 PM
comment removed by Forum administrator
Thank you drgeoff for pointing this out.

SPAM.  That is NOT official Google support.