News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

N00b Here on Faxing--Possible Dumb Question with OBi202

Started by Mapleaf18, August 01, 2018, 01:43:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mapleaf18

I have an Okidata MB451 multifunction printer with fax support (both POTS and VOIP)  I did notice with the Okidata that on POTS it likes to have it's OWN line (or distinctive ring) because it tends to answer the calls almost immediately no matter how many rings before answering you have it set to (tel/fax mode)

I do have a google voice account set up for Line 1-Business Phone which is working well (I have an Obihai 202 box) so wondering do I have to create a separate google voice account for my Fax on Line 2?

P.S. I've tried smartfax.com before and because I receive so few faxes, one day I got a call from a client who said there is something wrong with my fax number.    Sure enough my fax number was someone else's voice mail!    I cancelled shortly thereafter.  One of my clients is NYS and they INSIST on using a fax.

Moderator:  I believe people are duplicate posting because they get a mail server error when they submit the original post  "Couldn't get mail server response codes"

drgeoff

azrobert

Quote from: Mapleaf18 on August 01, 2018, 01:43:20 PM
so wondering do I have to create a separate google voice account for my Fax on Line 2?

Yes, that is the best method. I believe the 202 default will ring both phone ports, so make sure your business line rings only phone1 and the fax line only rings phone2.

A_Friend

If you're determined not to pay anything for phone service, please ignore the following...

I'm using a free DID I got from Callcentric for their fax reception service.  The server is always on, never runs out of paper and just forwards you an email with a pdf of your fax.  I pay $1.50/month for E911 service.  Incoming service is included on the DID, which by the way is in New York State.

You can use your machine for outgoing faxes.  If you shut off its fax reception, you can use it on your existing GV account.  If you can't, you could configure SP2 for the Callcentric account and use that for outgoing.  Unless you shut off the fax reception via the Callcentric account management web page, that line will never ring but will work fine for outgoing.  (Which, by the way, you have to pay by the minute for.)

It also occurs to me, that you could set up SP1 to only ring Phone 1, and you could plug your fax machine into Phone 2 and have that default outgoing to SP1.