News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Outgoing call to my cell phone always busy

Started by since83, August 02, 2018, 08:46:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

since83

Odd problem - maybe someone can help.  I switched my wireless provider and ported my cell number from T-Mobile to AT&T.  This phone number is one of my forwarding phones in Google Voice, but is not being actively forwarded to at this time.  The problem: When I call this cell phone from my obi-200-attached home phone, I always get a busy signal.  The phone can be called by other cell phones, so I don't know what the problem is.  I can call other numbers just fine from my home phone, it is just this newly ported number.  The only troubleshooting I have done is to delete and re-add the number as a forwarding phone in google voice - but that did not solve the problem.  Any ideas?  One other item of note:  While the ported cell phone number is the same, the cell phone itself is different. 

since83

Update: It's been about 12 hours since the problem started and I just can't figure it out.  The only situation causing me problems is that I cannot place a call from my home phone (through an Obi 200) to my own cell phone.  The rest of the world can call my cell phone and home phone without problem.  I can call everyone on my cell, including my home number.  I just keep getting a busy signal when I use the home phone to call my cell.  Does this sound like an Obi or a Google problem?

since83

Another update:  I did a full factory reset of the Obi 200 (including deleting and re-adding the device).  I also did a round-trip google voice account transfer.  Behavior is identical.  When I try to call my cell phone, I get a busy signal.  All else is good.  I've run out of ideas.

Taoman

since83

In Hangouts, I got a message that the number is unreachable.  However, 24 hours after the port, the phone is finally ringing.  Case closed.

SteveInWA

This was simply a case of not waiting long enough for the number port to finish.  Porting happens in stages.  One of the final steps is to re-route inbound calling in the telephone network, to point to the new carrier's switch.  That new routing information then has to be broadcast out to all telephone carriers, which can take some time to result in the carriers updating their tables.

The current average porting time into Google Voice, assuming no errors, is between 20 to 24 hours.