News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

[Obi110] OK to get a different transformer?

Started by Winfried, September 04, 2011, 02:05:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Winfried

Hello,

The Obi110 I ordered through Amazon UK just came in... and the transformer is hard-wired with the three-prong UK plug although I'm located on the continent.

Is it OK if I just get another 12V/1A transformer, or should I add a UK-Europe plug converter to the mix?

Thank you.

MB..

Well, it's actually a 12V DC 1 Amp switching power supply, not a transformer (according to the Admin Manual) so you would need something equivalent to that (and with the correct plug polarity).

Input spec is AC Input: 100 - 240V, 0.3A, 50-60Hz. 

Assuming that was what you meant, "Probably", but a locally purchased plug adapter might prove the cheaper option. (Airport shops, hotel shops, motorway service stations, are possible places to look).

QBZappy

Winfried

There might be some warranty issues if you swap the power adapter. I remember some users mentioning the Obi having issues with the power adapter creating some humming sound on the line a long time ago. This does not seem to be an issue anymore. I seem to remember them mentioning something about warranty. They must be selling to the continent by now. It would be interesting to know how users on the continent have resolved this problem.

You might want to mention your country. There seems to be many OBi users on the continent. Someone might reply with their solution.
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

Winfried

Thanks for the infos. So I guess I should keep the power supply and add a plug converter so that I don't get a humming sound if using a not totally compatible power supply from somewhere else.

Winfried

I ended up adding an adapter which is OK for that unit but I'll need to get a power supply with a European plug for the other units.

BTW, I know pretty nothing about electricity/electronics: Apart from tension/intensity, do the other infos on the label matter when getting a similar power supply?

http://img716.imageshack.us/img716/8948/obi110alimentationuklab.jpg

Thank you.

RonR

Winfried,

From a technical standpoint, it doesn't matter how or where you come up with 12V DC @ 1 Amp as long it ends up on the correct type of connector with the correct polarity (positive on the center pin) to plug into the OBi.  It can come from a transformer based power supply, a switching based power supply, a 12V battery, eight D cells in series, or whatever.  12V DC @ 1 Amp is 12V DC @ 1 Amp regardless of its origin.

From a non-technical standpoint, I do not represent Obihai and I cannot speak to any warranty policy they may have regarding using anything other than what was supplied with the unit.

MB..

Quote from: RonR on September 05, 2011, 11:55:51 AM
12V DC @ 1 Amp is 12V DC @ 1 Amp regardless of its origin.

Some DC power supplies don't produce pure DC. The problem with older transformer-based power supplies is that they can have a very large ripple voltage, depending upon what the power supply was originally designed for.  Now there may be sufficient additional voltage regulation circuitry inside the Obi to cope with a very large ripple, but I would suspect not.

I would have thought the UK Mains plug adapter solution (at about 35 pence per unit - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kit-Pin-Euro-Mains-Adaptor/dp/B002TEB06I/ref=pd_cp_ce_3) would work out far cheaper than a replacement power supply.

Winfried

Quote from: MB.. on September 06, 2011, 08:21:17 PMI would have thought the UK Mains plug adapter solution (at about 35 pence per unit) would work out far cheaper than a replacement power supply.

I agree, and that's what I ended up buying for my test unit, but as I intend to resell Obi110 to customers, I really want to get a power supply with the European plug instead of adding a UK-to-European adapter.

I'll try to find a store over here that sells those at a reasonable price.

Thanks all for the infos.

Winfried

I need to know the inside diameter in the DC connector used by the Obi110?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coaxial_power_connector#Common_sizes_and_interchangeability

Apparently, it's smaller than the standard sizes of 2.1 and 2.5, maybe a 1.3 mm ID, but it's too small to measure.

Does someone know, so that I don't order the wrong power supply?

Thank you.

MB..

If it's any help my best eyeball measurement with a micrometer (which won't fit into the hole) is 2mm (approx) inside and 5.5mm (accurate) outside diameter. This would be consistent with a 2.1mm/5.5mm spec.

The old Linksys WRT54GL and RT31P2 devices use a transformer with the same spec (12V 1A) and same connector as the Obi110. (I just tried pluigging a Linksys transformer into the Obi110 and it seems to work OK).

RonR

Quote from: RonR on September 05, 2011, 11:55:51 AM
12V DC @ 1 Amp is 12V DC @ 1 Amp regardless of its origin.

Quote from: MB.. on September 20, 2011, 05:16:53 PM
The old Linksys WRT54GL and RT31P2 devices use a transformer with the same spec (12V 1A) and same connector as the Obi110. (I just tried pluigging a Linksys transformer into the Obi110 and it seems to work OK).

I rest my case.   ;D

Winfried

Thanks much for the confirmation. I'll double-check with Obihai just in case, and order a 12V/1A replacement with the two different plugs and see how it goes.