News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Much appreciation for your getting started tips...

Started by turnstyle, September 04, 2011, 03:52:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

turnstyle

Hi all, I'm still trying to wrap my head around how to best use my Obi100, hoping you might be able to help.

Is the following a generally sensible approach:

1) SP1 configured with Google Voice

2) SP2 configured with CallCentric

Is the idea that I would generally be using Google Voice, but I could "do something" to place/receive calls to CallCentric? ie, do I do something to indicate an outbound call via SP2 rather than SP1? Can I receive incoming calls to both SP1 and SP2?

I expect I'd mostly use Google Voice, but...

3) do I then somehow configure the Obi to place 911 calls though SP2, even if I'm mostly using SP1?

Thanks, and apologies if I'm using any incorrect lingo -- I'm still trying to get up to speed!

RonR

You've pretty much figured it out.  With Google Voice on SP1 as your PrimaryLine and Callcentric on SP2, calls will go out via Google Voice unless you prefix the number with **2.

Making 911 calls go out SP2 by default is an easy change:

Physical Interfaces -> PHONE Port ->  DigitMap:

([1-9]x?*(Mpli)|[1-9]|[1-9][0-9]|911|**0|***|**1(Msp1)|**2(Msp2)|**9(Mpp)|(Mpli))

Physical Interfaces -> PHONE Port -> OutboundCallRoute:

{([1-9]x?*(Mpli)):pp},{911:sp2},{**0:aa},{***:aa2},{(<**1:>(Msp1)):sp1},
{(<**2:>(Msp2)):sp2},{(<**9:>(Mpp)):pp},{(Mpli):pli}

turnstyle

Thanks, a few quick follow-ups...

1) Will both my Google Voice number and CallCentric DID ring the Obi? I understand that I can set either Google Voice or CallCentric to be the 'primary' outbound line, and optionally use a ** code to choose the other service -- but will both ring? Is there any difference in the ring to indicate which is ringing?

2) Is there any decent way to test 911?

3) Are there any other 'obvious' things I should for this initial setup? Any ways to gain some additional benefit from having the second (eg CallCentric) account?

Thanks again, I'm glad to be getting closer.

RonR

Quote from: turnstyle on September 04, 2011, 04:52:48 PM
1) Will both my Google Voice number and CallCentric DID ring the Obi? I understand that I can set either Google Voice or CallCentric to be the 'primary' outbound line, and optionally use a ** code to choose the other service -- but will both ring? Is there any difference in the ring to indicate which is ringing?

All incoming calls ring the PHONE Port by default.  The rings are identical by default, but you can select a different one at:

Voice Services -> SPx Service -> X_DefaultRing

2) Is there any decent way to test 911?

You can usually call the non-emergency number and make arrangements to make a 911 test call.

3) Are there any other 'obvious' things I should for this initial setup? Any ways to gain some additional benefit from having the second (eg CallCentric) account?

I'd say you're off to a good start.  Maybe some other Callcenric users will chime in with some tips on making good use of it.

turnstyle

Thanks again, and I think I'm getting the codes a bit -- if anybody has a sec, I'd certainly appreciate a thumbs up (or down)...

1) The DigitMap code lists patterns, deliminated by a pipe "|" character, that the obi treats as ready-to-dial. So, for example, by including |911| the obi will dial 911, rather than wait for a typical 10-digit number. It looks to me like the |911| setting is already there?

2) The OutboundCallRoute code lists patters, wrapped in curly braces and separated by a comma, that essentially tell the obi how to place outbound calls. For example -- {911:sp2}, -- tells the obi to send 911 to Service Provider 2.

That all about right? If so, two quick followups:

Does the order of OutboundCallRoute codes matter? ie, could {911:sp2}, come at the front/rear of the list?

Do I need to worry that the obi might revert to defaults, and forget the 911 mapping?

RonR

You're on the right track.  You'll find a more complete description here:

http://www.obihai.com/docs/OBiDeviceAdminGuide.pdf

The first rule in the OutboundCallRoute that matches wins, so the order is definitely important.

An OBi shouldn't revert back to defaults.  If it does, it has a serious problem.