News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Getting Google Voice to work on my Obi212 in the UK

Started by rattybetty, August 05, 2018, 03:24:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rattybetty

Hello

I have searched through these forums and have tried to use the tips I have found, but am still not able to make calls on my Obi212 using Google Voice (or LocalPhone, which I have also set up).

I had an Obi100 which worked perfectly for a very long time, so I am puzzled by not being able to set up the 212.

Details which might be useful:

• I'm in the UK
  • I bought the Obi212 in the US
  • I can make calls using Google Hangouts, so I believe my account is fine
  • I have deleted my device and set it up a couple of times

Thanks in advance for any help!

rattybetty

Apologies for the multiple postings. I kept getting an error message so I assumed the message wasn't being posted!

drgeoff

Quote from: rattybetty on August 05, 2018, 03:24:36 AM
Hello

I have searched through these forums and have tried to use the tips I have found, but am still not able to make calls on my Obi212 using Google Voice (or LocalPhone, which I have also set up).

I had an Obi100 which worked perfectly for a very long time, so I am puzzled by not being able to set up the 212.

Details which might be useful:

• I'm in the UK
  • I bought the Obi212 in the US
  • I can make calls using Google Hangouts, so I believe my account is fine
  • I have deleted my device and set it up a couple of times

Thanks in advance for any help!

Can you be more explicit about what is and what is not working?

The **9 222 222 222 echo test.

Adding the 212 to the portal.

Localphone configured and showing as registered.

Localphone inbound calls.

Localphone outbound.  Exact error message if failure.

GV showing as connected.

GV inbound.

GV dialling own number to reach voicemail.

GV outbound.  Exact error message if failure.

212 firmware version?

rattybetty

Thank you for your speedy reply, drgeoff!

• The **9 222 222 222 echo test - this works perfectly
  • Adding the 212 to the portal - that appears to be fine
  • Localphone configured and showing as registered - yes, it is registered
  • Localphone inbound calls - haven't tried this but I am getting landline calls coming through
  • Localphone outbound.  Exact error message if failure - I have, in the last 10 minutes, gotten this to work which is a big relief! But I would still prefer to use google voice if possible
  • GV showing as connected - yes, it says its connected
  • GV inbound - not tried this as in UK so can't get a GV number
  • GV dialling own number to reach voicemail - not tried this as in UK so can't get a GV number
  • GV outbound.  Exact error message if failure - "we cannot complete your call"
  • 212 firmware version - sorry, I can't figure out how to find that information.

Thanks again for your help!

drgeoff

Quote from: rattybetty on August 05, 2018, 10:47:58 AM
Thank you for your speedy reply, drgeoff!

• The **9 222 222 222 echo test - this works perfectly
  • Adding the 212 to the portal - that appears to be fine
  • Localphone configured and showing as registered - yes, it is registered
  • Localphone inbound calls - haven't tried this but I am getting landline calls coming through
  • Localphone outbound.  Exact error message if failure - I have, in the last 10 minutes, gotten this to work which is a big relief! But I would still prefer to use google voice if possible
  • GV showing as connected - yes, it says its connected
  • GV inbound - not tried this as in UK so can't get a GV number
  • GV dialling own number to reach voicemail - not tried this as in UK so can't get a GV number
  • GV outbound.  Exact error message if failure - "we cannot complete your call"
  • 212 firmware version - sorry, I can't figure out how to find that information.

Thanks again for your help!

To see the firmware version, use Expert mode on the portal.  On your Dashboard, on the line for your OBi212 do you see 2 gearwheels?  If yes, click on the one containing a red 'E'.  If you only see one gearwheel click on 'Edit Profile', scroll to the bottom and tick the box 'Enable OBi Expert Entry from Dashboard'.  Once in Expert mode, click on 'Status', then on 'System Status'.  In the section 'Product Information' is the line for 'Software Version'.

I suspect that your OBi212's firmware has not been automatically upgraded to handle the changed GV protocol.  Follow SteveInWA's directions at http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=13868.msg89076#msg89076. (I don't know if that 5898 version for the OBi200/202 is also applicable to the 212.) Unfortunately a reset of your 212 is required so you will be starting from scratch and reconfiguring everything.

rattybetty

Thank you for explaining that, drgeoff. I probably would not have found that without your help!

The software version is 3.2.2 (Build: 5898EX), which the link you shared suggests is up-to-date enough to support GV. When I look at the legacy GV pages, I don't see and mention of chat, so that also looks positive.

The good news is that I have now got a way of making Localphone to work, so there is plenty of light at the end of the tunnel, but I would prefer to use GV if at all possible.

Thanks you for taking the time to look into the issues I've been having.

drgeoff

Quote from: rattybetty on August 05, 2018, 01:03:07 PM
Thank you for explaining that, drgeoff. I probably would not have found that without your help!

The software version is 3.2.2 (Build: 5898EX), which the link you shared suggests is up-to-date enough to support GV. When I look at the legacy GV pages, I don't see and mention of chat, so that also looks positive.

The good news is that I have now got a way of making Localphone to work, so there is plenty of light at the end of the tunnel, but I would prefer to use GV if at all possible.

Thanks you for taking the time to look into the issues I've been having.
OK, I think a complete reset of the OBi is not required.  But I would suggest doing the bits of SteveInWA's instructions that include deleting GV from the OBi and reconfiguring them back on again.

A_Friend

Quote from: drgeoff on August 05, 2018, 01:10:29 PM
OK, I think a complete reset of the OBi is not required.  But I would suggest doing the bits of SteveInWA's instructions that include deleting GV from the OBi and reconfiguring them back on again.

In my very limited experience, I had trouble simply deleting GV from the OBi to reconfigure it.  It needed to be deleted BOTH from the Portal and directly from the device, otherwise the Portal tried installing it on SP2.  Sometimes, I ended up with it installed on both SP1 and SP2, which was a problem, because I was using SP2,3, and 4 for other carriers.

SO, if it won't hurt anything, it might save you some grief if you delete it from both ends before reinstalling.

rattybetty

drgeoff and A_Friend, thank you both for taking the time to help me.

I followed SteveInWA's advice in full and reset my device and reinstalled GV. Unfortunately it has not fixed the GV problem.

I have decided to throw in the towel and use Localphone, which is now working perfectly. So we haven't been able to figure out why I can't use GV but I am able to make calls on my Obi212, which I couldn't when I came here. So I am very happy with the outcome!

Thanks again for your help.

All the best!

SteveInWA

Quote from: A_Friend on August 05, 2018, 01:36:26 PM
Quote from: drgeoff on August 05, 2018, 01:10:29 PM

In my very limited experience, I had trouble simply deleting GV from the OBi to reconfigure it.  It needed to be deleted BOTH from the Portal and directly from the device, otherwise the Portal tried installing it on SP2.  Sometimes, I ended up with it installed on both SP1 and SP2, which was a problem, because I was using SP2,3, and 4 for other carriers.

SO, if it won't hurt anything, it might save you some grief if you delete it from both ends before reinstalling.

Nonsense.  It is impossible for OBiTALK to configure a different SPx than the one you select.  You can scour this forum's entire history to see that it's never happened.  Whatever problems you had were self-inflicted by using both the portal and the local device configuration pages.

A_Friend

Quote from: SteveInWA on August 05, 2018, 06:08:54 PM
Nonsense.  It is impossible for OBiTALK to configure a different SPx than the one you select.  You can scour this forum's entire history to see that it's never happened.  Whatever problems you had were self-inflicted by using both the portal and the local device configuration pages.

And yet, it did.  To some extent you're right, though.  Whenever it was when I set up my Obi202 (upgraded from my Obi100 in 2013), I had to use the portal to configure GV.  After that, I disconnected/deleted my device and configured the rest with the UI.  So, adding it back last month to allow the reconfiguration to GV/SIP created all sorts of difficulties for me, well-documented elsewhere on these here forums.

I maintain my position that the Portal is user-hostile unless you've ALWAYS kept your device registered there, added all your speed dials ONLY via the Portal, etc., etc.  It would improve itself immensely if it would instead of nuking your settings flat the instant you add an externally (i.e. UI) pre-configured device to the Portal, it would read the current settings into Obi Expert and let you work from there.

Among those were the problems of GV showing up on the wrong SP, or on two at once.  It took a factory reset and deleting the device from the Portal and re-adding it more than once to get it to behave as one might have reasonably expected in the first place.

So, long story short, NO, I don't have sufficient screen grabs to show you the evidence, and YES, it's just my word against yours, but why would I lie about this?  And while I don't have your degree of experience with these, I do own 4 Obihai devices I've used over the years since they first were available, and a certain amount of experience integrating them with the dashboards of three other services to do what I need.

Obihai devices are NOT simply GV extensions or Obitalk accessories.  Those services do indeed have value to the end user and I'm not attacking them.  (The Obitalk Portal I'm happy to complain about, but only because it doesn't do what I want, the way I'd like, and it could easily be fixed without degrading its function if anyone would care about the complaints at least a few of us have made.)  But the ATAs also integrate well with heavy-featured web-based services like those of voip.ms and Callcentric, and I'm sure others.

Other than for GV, I haven't found any value-added features of the Portal and ObiExpert relative to the UI, at least for me, and I have found some limitations.  If that's my own fault, I'll own it.  But, I own my 2 Obi202s, my Obi200, a couple of Obi WiFis, and safe in a drawer somewhere, my venerable Obi100.  I'm a fan of the products.  I'm also entitled to use them according to the Device Administration Guide if I want to, aren't I? 

And the Portal DEFINITELY DID add GV to SP2 after a configuration to SP1 didn't work and I tried to start over.  Probably because you can't just click on SP1 to reconfigure GV without deleting it first.  FROM BOTH the portal and your device.  The end result is an unconfigured SP1 and EVEN THOUGH you used the portal to specifically add GV to SP1, it ends up on the next available SP, which is SP2.  Now, maybe the Portal has been debugged since then, but that was the behavior on July 5.

drgeoff

Quote from: A_Friend on August 05, 2018, 09:08:23 PM
Other than for GV, I haven't found any value-added features of the Portal and ObiExpert relative to the UI, at least for me,
If like me, you were to manage an OBi that is 9 time-zones away and connected to an ISP that uses Carrier Grade NAT, you might come to appreciate the portal more than you currently do.

A_Friend

Quote from: drgeoff on August 06, 2018, 10:10:30 AM
Quote from: A_Friend on August 05, 2018, 09:08:23 PM
Other than for GV, I haven't found any value-added features of the Portal and ObiExpert relative to the UI, at least for me,
If like me, you were to manage an OBi that is 9 time-zones away and connected to an ISP that uses Carrier Grade NAT, you might come to appreciate the portal more than you currently do.

Agreed, especially if you set everything up from scratch with the portal in the first place.  Amirite?

Please don't take anything I said as a personal affront.  I merely said that FOR ME, I found the overhead and aggravation not worth the, um...  aggravation.  Because, as you say, I'm not managing something that's remote.  For what you're doing, the portal is indispensable, no argument whatsoever.

That said, it doesn't stop me from wishing it were better.