News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Incoming calls go straight to VM when cell phone turned off

Started by madhatter, August 06, 2018, 03:24:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteveInWA

Quote from: GPz1100 on August 09, 2018, 11:50:08 AM
Quote from: LTN1 on August 09, 2018, 10:20:18 AM
Is SteveInWA correct with issues beyond Sprint/GV? Maybe not. However, the main issue here is the OP's Sprint and GV problem. Steve, so far, has the most experience with the Sprint/GV issue, having worked with this specifically with GV for years. He is more persuasive on THIS issue than some forum newbie with an AT&T problem and so-called solution not directly related to the original post.

With narcissistic responses such as this, if I were the OP I wouldn't bother coming back.

I don't think it's an att issue, rather a google issue because google engineer's can't seem to leave well enough alone, always implementing some sort of change which results in [un]intended side effects.  Every few months something breaks in one form or another. 

I relayed my experience, just because it goes against the way system should work does not make my solution wrong.  Regardless, what exactly is your contribution in this thread besides trolling?

No, Google did not break this function, since it is not controlled by Google.  This is yet another example of you not understanding how Google Voice works.

bill-cary

I guess I am not understanding what this is all about.
I have my GV# forwarded to my cell phone in the GV dashboard.
It does not actually forward it, just simultaneously rings the cell.
I guess that is different, but why would you want it any other way?

SteveInWA

bill-cary, why are you posting questions in multiple other users' threads?  If you have a specific issue, please create your own new discussion topic.

madhatter

hi all, OP here and I'm back, for some reason I wasn't getting notifications of the responses.

I don't know where "conditional forwarding" is located in the config screens for GV.  Please point me in the right direction.

thx

drgeoff

Quote from: madhatter on January 23, 2019, 04:02:55 PM
hi all, OP here and I'm back, for some reason I wasn't getting notifications of the responses.

I don't know where "conditional forwarding" is located in the config screens for GV.  Please point me in the right direction.

thx
There is no "conditional call forwarding" in the config screens for GV.  The CCF discussed in this thread is a function of the cellphone service.

SteveInWA

Sprint still supports Conditional Call Forwarding.  The old codes date back to the 1990s, from the original CDMA network.  They have been supplemented by different codes, to support the newer, different technology of LTE networks.

Old CCF codes:  *28xxxxxxxxxx to enable CCF; *38 to disable it.  This controls both busy forwarding and no-answer forwarding on non-LTE networks.

New CCF codes for LTE:  *73xxxxxxxxxx to enable no-answer forwarding; *730 to disable it.  *74xxxxxxxxxx to enable busy forwarding; *740 to disable it.

Existing codes for UNconditional call forwarding (forward ALL inbound calls, immediately, for a per-minute fee):  *72xxxxxxxxxx to enable; *720 to disable it.

You must enter both of the two codes, one at at time, to enable or disable the two types of conditional call forwarding.

SteveInWA

...and since you're probably going to ask, substitute your ten-digit Google Voice phone number for the x's in the answer above.

madhatter

thanks, very detailed ... QQ where you indicate forwarding with a fee, there wouldn't be a fee if on an unlimited plan, correct?

SteveInWA

It's late, and I don't feel like trying to find where I might have used the word "fee", so I don't know what you read.

There are two main types of call forwarding:

• UNconditional Call Forwarding, also known as "Immediate call forwarding":  when a phone number with Unconditional Call Forwarding enabled is called, that carrier will subsequently forward ALL calls, immediately, to whatever other number you programmed it to use.  The phone number with forwarding enabled will generally ring once, to let you know that a call came in and was forwarded (a reminder, since otherwise, you'd have no idea why the phone isn't ringing).  Most carriers charge a per-minute rate for this, since they are carrying both legs of the call, and don't want their numbers used for this for free.
  • Conditional Call Forwarding, also known as "no answer/busy transfer":  inbound calls to the number with CCF enabled will ring normally if you're not on a call and you answer the phone within the ring period.  Otherwise, the call will be forwarded to the number you programmed it to use.  Some carriers offer this included with their normal monthly charge.  Typically, these are the "big four" mobile carriers.
    Other carriers charge an extra monthly fee to provide the service, or don't offer it at all.

Bottom line:  if you have mobile phone service as a direct customer of one of the big four mobile carriers (NOT via one of their MVNO resellers), then CCF is included.  If your mobile service is via a MVNO (e.g. StraightTalk, Tracfone, Ting, MintSIM, Lycamobile, etc), then they typically don't offer the service, or they only offer it with some of their carrier partners, but not others.  For example, Red Pocket offers CCF on their "GSMA" (AT&T) plans, but not on their T-Mobile plans.  If your mobile service is a wholly-owned subsidiary brand of one of the big four, such as Boost Mobile, Virgin, Metro by T-Mobile, then they may or may not offer CCF.

If you are having trouble understanding this, then contact your service provider and ask them.

madhatter

this is very helpful, thanks for your contribution on this