News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Obi200 & Google Voice - Any way to set Caller ID Names?

Started by kelemvor, August 12, 2018, 08:02:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kelemvor

Howdy,

If my wife calls our Home (Obi/GV) number from her cell phone, it show sup with her name.  if I call from my cell phone, it doesn't have a name.  When I look in Google Voice, her number has her name and mine doesn't.  Anyone know where GV gets its names from?  Both number have the "Add" link which would let me add that number as a contact which means it's not a contact within my Google Accout.  I also manually checked my contacts and neither of us are in there.

Just confused why some numbers work and some don't and if there's a way I can manually make them all work.

Can I add the number as a contact and would GV them see that and pass the name through?

Thanks for any info.

SteveInWA

Google does not feed its users' names into the CNAM LIDB (the industry database(s) of numbers matched to names).

Google Voice will display a caller's name, if a) that caller is in your Google Contacts, or b) that caller is a business known to Google's vast database of business information.

Google Voice uses the same Google Contacts system as all the other Google services, like Gmail, Calendar, etc.

You cannot do anything as a Google Voice user to make your name appear to all called parties, unless every single one of them has you in their Google Contacts.

kelemvor

Thanks.  I played around with adding people as contacts in Google and that does appear to make their names show up on my phone's caller ID so that will work fine.

Thanks.