News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Clueless- No incoming rings or dialtone

Started by ChatIobi, August 13, 2018, 02:35:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChatIobi

Hi All-

Sorry very clueless here..   I uses Google Voice and have been using my obhi202 for several years.. all flawless with no probs.  I have not done anything last few days- but realize that my incoming calls not working... Nor can I get a dial tone to dial out either.

I have a Obi202... I have all green lights solids (except the lan light nothing conneted).....  And when I dial my phone line I see the last 2 phone line on the obi flash...  but nothing rings..... and pickup not hear anything.    I pick up receiver connected and get no dial tone or nothing..

I tried calling from other phone to phone and rings thru GV..and it rings....and then goes to my GV vm...

So  not sure what is up.. I removed all phone lines connected to the obihai 202 box... and plugged only one phone to it.. and still have problems.

Again... I know for a fact I had a dial tone yesterday and used it..but just realized- no dialtone or ring now.. Anyone else experiencing this kind of thing?

Any Help is appreciated---Thanks.

A_Friend

Can you access its user interface via a web browser?  (That's assuming you know its IP address.)

By the way, if you can get into the admin page of your router, you might be able to find a list of attached devices under DHCP.  On my Trendnet, the Obi202 and Obi200 are labeled just that alongside their IP addresses.

Anyway, if you can get into the user interface, you want to click on Status/System Status which should tell you something.  If you see SP1 is "Registered," and under Status/Phone Port Status the voltages look normal and it says "On Hook," I'm going to suggest there might be something wrong with your analog telephone, not the Obihai.

ChatIobi

Thank you for the reply....

I can get into the via Obitalk website and the local IP address...

I see (Status->System Status->SP1 Service Status:

SP1 Service Status
Parameter Name   Value   
Status   Connected   help
PrimaryProxyServer      
SecondaryProxyServer      
CallState   0 Active Calls   help

I see kind of nothing in (Status->Phone Port Status->Port Status)
Port Statushelp
Parameter Name   PHONE1 Port
State   
LoopCurrent   
VBAT   
TipRingVoltage   
LastCallerInfo   

PHONE2 Port   
   help
   help
   help
   help
help

Just one other thing.. not sure if relevant or not.. Had power outage.. but have had countless others- with no probs.. :)

Again- thank you so much!

drgeoff

Looks like your OBi has a hardware fault.  Not repairable.  But check if the Phone Port status is still the same when nothing is plugged in to the PHONE ports.  (You need to refresh the page.)

Was the power outage at the same time as a thunderstorm?  Are the phone(s) plugged directly into the OBi or via house wiring?

A_Friend

Unplug your phone from the Obi and check the Phone Port status again with nothing plugged into the phone ports.

If you've got still got nothing, even after a power cycle, it's probably fried.  You'll need a replacement.

If you've got something, the phone is probably fried or its wire is dead-shorted.  Try another phone.

It is interesting that the core function of the device is still there.  The CPU is up, ethernet is working, and it's managing to register itself.  So, a power surge through the supply never happened or the whole thing would be dead.  DrGeoff is probably on the money with a suggestion that your house wiring might have picked up a giant static blast from a nearby storm and fried the phone port.  I'm wondering why both phone ports would be fried if only one was connected, unless the port interfaces are sharing a common chip.  Regardless, a repair is probably beyond the average hobbyist/mortal.

One last thing:  verify that you have no dial tone on either phone port.

Disclaimer:  I'm not a big time Obihai expert or hardware wiz, just another random (but long-time) user taking my best guess.

ChatIobi

Yeah...odd that i see the thing flashing on incoming call.. all lights on...

I wonder if a reset and try again is in order... Of course if I remember how set it back up since be running beautifully for almost 3 years without a hiccup.

I have 2 phone lines- 1 copper and this VOIP... Phones work just fine on copper...

I have set up that the OBI feeds back into the house phone wires...  I tested phones- all ok...on house wiring using other line back feed and all good..  So problem is isolated to the Obi.

So just odd that lights flashing- when phone rings.

drgeoff

Quote from: ChatIobi on August 14, 2018, 09:57:43 AM
Yeah...odd that i see the thing flashing on incoming call.. all lights on...

I wonder if a reset and try again is in order... Of course if I remember how set it back up since be running beautifully for almost 3 years without a hiccup.

I have 2 phone lines- 1 copper and this VOIP... Phones work just fine on copper...

I have set up that the OBI feeds back into the house phone wires...  I tested phones- all ok...on house wiring using other line back feed and all good..  So problem is isolated to the Obi.

So just odd that lights flashing- when phone rings.

You have nothing to lose by a reset but I really doubt it will fix your problem*.  For whatever reason part of the analogue phone interface circuitry is dead.  The bit that produces about 50 volts DC for the phone talking path and the 80 volts or so AC to ring it. The digital stuff and the LED is powered by lower voltage circuitry that is still working.  That's why the LED can flash on an incoming call.  But when there is no incoming call and you take the phone off-hook the LED does not flash as it should?

*I never heard of anything fixing that status page of blanks except a replacement OBi.  :(

The power outage is probably not a coincidence.  Power conversion circuits that are slowly failing often manage to keep going while they have input power but die completely when restarted after an interruption.

A_Friend

Quote from: ChatIobi on August 14, 2018, 09:57:43 AM

You're lucky in one sense, that the brains of the unit are still alive.  You can back up your settings to a local file to help in setting up either that unit after a reset, or more likely, the replacement unit.  And, you can also cut and paste all the customized routes and dial plans to a text file.

So, just to be clear, please confirm...  Plugging a phone directly in to Phone 1, and sequentially to Phone 2, with nothing else plugged in to the other port, is just a dead line with no dial tone?

ChatIobi

Many thanks to all.. will try the reset..but guess... I will let it RIP...

Ahhh only the good die young....

@A_Friend.. Yes that is correct... Plugging a phone in phone1 and phone2 nothing happens no dial.. just dead no dial tone..

I did take the obi and tried to reset and see if anything magical would happen...and after dropping device and trying to add...still same thing..   Nadda...

Dead silence when plug working phone into the device.

Just with the recent polycom and such.. just worried about buying 202 again- if will be obsolete soon..

A_Friend

Quote from: ChatIobi on August 14, 2018, 11:24:48 AM

Just with the recent polycom and such.. just worried about buying 202 again- if will be obsolete soon..

First of all, if you're only planning to use one telephone line, you only need the 200.

Second of all, as long as there are multiple SIP ITSPs out there, the device will never be completely obsolete.  If you're determined only to use GV for free forever, that's another issue which isn't in any of our controls.

When you do buy another ATA, of whatever brand or flavor, if you intend to hook it back into your house wiring, do yourself a favor.  Buy a power strip with a surge protector that has RJ-11 jacks to protect your phones.  Maybe something like this:  https://www.amazon.com/APC-Protection-SurgeArrest-Performance-P11VT3/dp/B0012YLTR6/

drgeoff

Quote from: A_Friend on August 14, 2018, 11:41:38 AM
When you do buy another ATA, of whatever brand or flavor, if you intend to hook it back into your house wiring, do yourself a favor.  Buy a power strip with a surge protector that has RJ-11 jacks to protect your phones.  Maybe something like this:  https://www.amazon.com/APC-Protection-SurgeArrest-Performance-P11VT3/dp/B0012YLTR6/
And make absolutely sure that the house phone wiring is properly disconnected from any external telco wiring.

Soulcommander

Must be a wide area issue having same issue on Port 2 only..... Port 1 has a dial tone on my Obi 202. I have sold green light on port 2 and blinking green on Port 1   I get no dial tone at all on port 2 phone but when trying to call that number it does forward my call to my cell like it suppose to but does not ring the phone. What is going on?????

drgeoff

Quote from: Soulcommander on August 23, 2018, 03:00:36 PM
Must be a wide area issue having same issue on Port 2 only..... Port 1 has a dial tone on my Obi 202. I have sold green light on port 2 and blinking green on Port 1   I get no dial tone at all on port 2 phone but when trying to call that number it does forward my call to my cell like it suppose to but does not ring the phone. What is going on?????

Has Port 2 been working OK previously?

Have you tried swapping over the phones plugged in to PHONE1 and PHONE2 sockets?  Then which phone has no dial tone and does not ring.?

If whatever phone is on PHONE2 socket has no dial tone and no ring, unplug whatever is plugged in to PHONE1 socket.  Do dial tone and ringing return to the phone plugged in to PHONE2?

Soulcommander

Hi yes did that and its not the inside house wiring I can get them to all work while swapping.... Yes it all has been working fine before...Not sure when this started I just noticed it today....I just posted on here a stand alone post. I wrote to Obi and they said buy another 202....But I honestly think this might be a google voice issue since they have been messing with software and caused other issues months ago.....  ???????????????

azrobert

Quote from: Soulcommander on August 23, 2018, 04:00:15 PM
I honestly think this might be a google voice issue

Call the other phone port by dialing #
This works from either phone port.

Soulcommander

Hi not following you what exactly it is I should try....

drgeoff

Quote from: Soulcommander on August 23, 2018, 04:47:28 PM
Hi not following you what exactly it is I should try....
@Soulcommander
You have not helped yourself by now having two threads on the same problem.