News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Obi 100

Started by mhhack, August 15, 2018, 07:42:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mhhack

I now have a new Obi 200 and all is well. I want to know if my Obi 100 will work for my son, even though it is unsupported.

Does unsupported mean it will no longer work?

Thanks

drgeoff

Quote from: mhhack on August 15, 2018, 07:42:02 AM
I now have a new Obi 200 and all is well. I want to know if my Obi 100 will work for my son, even though it is unsupported.

Thanks
Please delete the duplicate copy of your post so that all discussion is contained within this thread.

With the exception of Google Voice an Obi100 or OBi110 will still work for all the Service Providers that were working prior to July 2018.

mhhack

Thanks for your reply, but my Obi 100 was working after July 2018 with Google Voice.

I repeat, does unsupported mean the Obi 100 will no longer work with Google voice?

drgeoff

Quote from: mhhack on August 15, 2018, 09:57:53 AM
Thanks for your reply, but my Obi 100 was working after July 2018 with Google Voice.

I repeat, does unsupported mean the Obi 100 will no longer work with Google voice?

1. Please delete your other post as requested.

2. That is not what "unsupported" means.  Unsupported means  No further firmware updates and no assistance from Obihai tech support.

3.  OBi100 and OBi110 no longer work with Google Voice.

A_Friend

Quote from: mhhack on August 15, 2018, 07:41:30 AM

Thanks

Unsupported just means you can't get any technical support or official firmware upgrades.  If it's not broken, it will still work.  With one exception...

The Obi100 cannot support the Google Voice of today.  You can run a couple dozen other SIP services on it, but not Google Voice.  For very little, you can get 911 service and phone number (aka "DID") from Circlenet or Callcentric or voip.ms.  I just used Circlenet to configure an ancient Grandstream with a U.S. number to ship to a relative who recently moved to England.  Couldn't be happier.

vtsnaab

Adding a wee bit to what A_Friend has said here:
Our good, old Obi1xx quit working with GV around the deadline posted here.

Rather than porting our GV number out, we just got a new number with Circlenet & Sam set up the CID to our GV number.
All the other GV goodies still work the same AND incoming calls come through the Obi box correctly & outgoing calls show with our GV number correctly.

That is the best combination of services IMO as compared with the other providers available.

It has a great price & the most helpful folks who are willing to support (in the original meaning...) their customers in ways that actually help.

It is always important to remember that Obi boxes are just ATAs that were designed to work via Obihai & GV...but that they can still be used generically in the post-GV era - it is not even difficult to do, but it DOES come with a small expense monthly.

Again - IMO, it is well worth the small expense to keep the good, old box useful.

Best Wishes.

A_Friend

Quote from: GeeObi on August 15, 2018, 10:11:10 PM
I used this for my Obi110. It was easy and works great: https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r32078999-How-to-Install-naf-Asterisk-on-Ubuntu-for-Obi100-and-Google-Voice

If you want a PBX implementation that will run on 5 watts, quietly, with no fans or disks, take up practically no space, and support GV, take a look at this:  http://nerdvittles.com/?p=26267 showing how to set things up on a Raspberry Pi 3.

drgeoff

Quote from: A_Friend on August 16, 2018, 03:44:41 AM
I used this for my Obi110. It was easy and works great: https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r32078999-How-to-Install-naf-Asterisk-on-Ubuntu-for-Obi100-and-Google-Voice

If you want a PBX implementation that will run on 5 watts, quietly, with no fans or disks, take up practically no space, and support GV, take a look at this:  http://nerdvittles.com/?p=26267 showing how to set things up on a Raspberry Pi 3.
I'm a big fan of RPis and have 2 of the original 2012 B models, a B+, a 2B, a 3B, a 3B+, 2 Zeros and 1 ZeroW.

However, when you add up the cost of one, plus an SD card, plus a PSU plus a case to protect it you are in the same ballpark as an OBi200.  And getting a PBX up and running on it with GV is not as straightforward as with an OBi.  Fine as a hobby but not recommended for a non-technical person who just wants a phone connected to GV.

SteveInWA

Quote from: drgeoff on August 16, 2018, 04:07:44 AM

I'm a big fan of RPis and have 2 of the original 2012 B models, a B+, a 2B, a 3B, a 3B+, 2 Zeros and 1 ZeroW.

However, when you add up the cost of one, plus an SD card, plus a PSU plus a case to protect it you are in the same ballpark as an OBi200.  And getting a PBX up and running on it with GV is not as straightforward as with an OBi.  Fine as a hobby but not recommended for a non-technical person who just wants a phone connected to GV.

Exactly what he said.

It's amusing how stubborn and emotional people can be over their ancient OBi 100/110 being no longer supported, to the extreme of spending money on other equipment, then spending countless hours reading forums and learning PBX-speak, rather than buy a new OBi.

azrobert

Quote from: mhhack on August 15, 2018, 07:42:02 AM
I now have a new Obi 200 and all is well.

The OP already has an OBi200. He can easily define a 2nd GV account on the OBi200 and access it from the OBi100 either over the OBiTalk network or his local network. No PBX needed.

azrobert

Here is the config changes for using the OBiTalk network.
Define a 2nd GV account on the OBI200 SP2.
Use OBi Expert to make the following config changes:

OBi200:

Voice Services -> SP2 Service -> X_InboundCallRoute: ph,pp(200222222)

Voice Services -> OBiTalk Service -> InboundCallRoute:
{200222222:sp2},{ph}

Replace 200222222 with the OBi number of the OBi100

OBi100:

Physical Interfaces -> Phone Port -> OutboundCallRoute:
The 1st rule is: {([1-9]x?*(Mpli)):pp}
Change it to: {(<510111111*>(Msp1)):pp}

Replace 510111111 with OBi number of the OBi200

Voice Services -> OBiTalk Service -> InboundCallRoute: ph

That's 2 config changes on each device.
The last change is the default for the OBi100, but might have been changed during the device setup.

A_Friend

Quote from: drgeoff on August 16, 2018, 04:07:44 AM

If you want a PBX implementation that will run on 5 watts, quietly, with no fans or disks, take up practically no space, and support GV, take a look at this:  http://nerdvittles.com/?p=26267 showing how to set things up on a Raspberry Pi 3.

However, when you add up the cost of one, plus an SD card, plus a PSU plus a case to protect it you are in the same ballpark as an OBi200.  And getting a PBX up and running on it with GV is not as straightforward as with an OBi.  Fine as a hobby but not recommended for a non-technical person who just wants a phone connected to GV.

LOL.  True.  I have almost as many Pi's as you.  Seems like every year a new one comes out, I can't resist.  I'm fascinated by them.  BUT, I couldn't think of a use for a PBX myself, certainly not for residential use.  I'm quite happy with my Obi202 and 200, GV, voip.ms, callcentric, and circlenet.  I've got my own routing table, blacklists for phone spammers, IVRs, a fax to email line (sadly, not vice versa), internal extensions to our cellphones.  Everything I need and a bunch of stuff I just wanted.

BUT, if I wanted a PBX, like GeeObi evidently did, it would be on a Pi.  And no, you don't need a lot of accessories.  They'll pretty much run on a 1A cell phone power supply which most of us have lying around, and Micro Center keeps sending me coupons for free micro-SD cards.  (Which reminds me, I've got one right now for a 32 GB SDHC.)  You just need to lend it a keyboard, mouse and HDMI cable until it's set up and you can take that all back and manage it with Putty.  As for a case, if you don't want to spend the $5 to pretty up your $30 computer board (or $10 Zero W), a piece of cardboard and a zip tie will do the trick to keep the board from shorting against anything. (I did that for a while.  Then, I bought the cases.  Fancy!)

Meanwhile, I don't want a PBX, and can't think of a good reason to put one on the house 'net or tackle the learning curve.  Next Pi project might be the "Pi Hole," to block ads from getting into the home network.  (https://pi-hole.net/)