News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Interdigit Timer and "False" Dialing on Phone Port

Started by Diana, September 05, 2011, 05:58:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Diana

Quote from: RonR on March 13, 2011, 09:38:33 PM
jimates,

I'd be happy to explain the elements of the LINE Port DigitMap I suggested:

(xxxxxxxS4|<1>[2-9]xxxxxxxxxS0|1xxxxxxxxxxS0|xx.)

The interdigit timer starts out at 10 seconds, meaning you have 10 seconds to enter another digit before the DigitMap Processor assumes you're done and evaluates what's been entered to that point.  It stays at 10 seconds until there's at least one rule in an Exact Match state.  At that point, the interdigit timer changes to 2 seconds.

For this set of rules, the timer stays at 10 seconds until the 7th digit has been entered.  Since 7 digits exactly matches the first rule, the timer would normally change to 2 seconds at that point.  Since 2 seconds is a bit short if you've got more digits to enter, such as a 10- or 11-digit number, S4 sets the timer to 4 seconds instead.  If you haven't entered anything else after 4 seconds, the DMP returns the 7-digit number.

The 8th digit you enter causes the first rule to change to the Mismatch state and the timer reverts to 10 seconds.  If you keep entering digits until you reach the 10th and the first digit is not a 0 or 1, it's assumed you've entered a 10-digit number starting with an area code.  Since this exactly matches the second rule, the timer would normally change to 2 seconds, but S0 sets the timer to 0 and the DMP returns the 10-digit number immediately, adding a 1 to the beginning.

If the first digit is a 1 and 10 more digits were entered behind it, the third rule is matched, the timer is forced to 0 and the DMP returns the 11-digit number immediately, unchanged.

If none of the first 3 rules are matched, the fourth rule matches whatever digits you've entered and the DMP returns them after 10 seconds.

Now let's look at the default LINE Port DigitMap:

(xxxxxxxS4|1xxxxxxxxxx|xx.)

This DigitMap has three problems:

1. 10-digit numbers.  Since they don't exactly match any of the rules, there's a 10 second wait for the DMP to return them.

2. 10-digit numbers.  A 1 is not added to the beginning of the returned number.

3. 11-digit numbers.  There's a 2 second wait that's totally unnecessary.

There you have it.  Are you still glad you asked?   :)

I copy the above from a search I did on an ongoing issue I'm having (Phone port in my case).  My parents are visiting from overseas and they have a problem dialing out.  The simple solution is to have them enter all 10-digits before pressing the "Talk/Flash Button. 

Here is the issue:  I have GV on SP1, VOIP.ms on SP2 (primarily for e911) and CallWithUs for Overseas calls to one country (1876).  Whenever they try to place a call overseas they would dial 1876XXX.  They might pause for a 11 seconds before entering the remaining 4 digits.  This results in a call attempt to 1AAA1876XXX, where AAA is my area code.  BTW, this also happens when they try to make an 1800 call.

The "User Defined Digit Map2" is what is causing the problem:
Label:       ste
DigitMap:  (1xxxxxxxxxx|<1>[2-9]xxxxxxxxx|<1aaa>xxxxxxx|011xx.|(Mipd)|[^*]@@.'@'@@.)

I really do not need seven digit dialing, so if I get rid of the "<1aaa>xxxxxxx" and/or possibly lengthen the interdigit timer by a say another 10 seconds, will that solve my problem?  How do I increase the interdigit timer to give them more time to enter the rest of the numbers?  Thanks

RonR

Changing the 7-digit rule to:

<1aaa>[2-9]xxxxxx

should help as the first digit of a 7-digit number can't be a 0 or 1.  The timeout should then remain at 10 seconds until the 11th digit is dialed.

If you need more than 10 seconds, you can use Sn after the rule.  Since n can only be a single digit, you'll have to use two:

<1aaa>[2-9]xxxxxxS9S6

for a 15 second timeout.

Diana

Quote from: RonR on September 05, 2011, 06:46:49 PM
Changing the 7-digit rule to:

<1aaa>[2-9]xxxxxx

should help as the first digit of a 7-digit number can't be a 0 or 1.  The timeout should then remain at 10 seconds until the 11th digit is dialed.

If you need more than 10 seconds, you can use Sn after the rule.  Since n can only be a single digit, you'll have to use two:

<1aaa>[2-9]xxxxxxS9S6

for a 15 second timeout.

Ron:

Thanks for your response.  Would it make more sense to just eliminate the seven digit dialing capability which we do not use?  Also, I'm trying to mimic the behavior of a POTS line as far as dialing is concern, which is:

1. aaaXXX-XXXX   (10-digit dialing)
2. 1aaaXXX-XXXX  (11-digit dialing)
3. 1876XXX-XXXX  (11-digit dialing to a single International location;  occasionally we might call the UK)
4. 1800XXX-XXXX  (Toll-free dialing - same as 2. above)

What I want to happen is if the pause "too long", they get a fast busy tone, the same as the behavior of a LandLine.

RonR

Sure, you can simply remove the 7-digit rule and be rid of it entirely.

Diana

Quote from: RonR on September 06, 2011, 04:02:18 AM
Sure, you can simply remove the 7-digit rule and be rid of it entirely.

Thanks again.  I removed the 7-digit rule and will monitor to see if any issues continue with their dialing pattern and adjust accordingly.  Will probably program a set of speed dial so that minimize them have to dial a number.