News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

SIP scanner solution with VOIP.MS

Started by redtoy, August 16, 2018, 06:23:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

redtoy

So, finally seemed to find an easy fix for this!  Every minute or so, night and day I was getting these ghost calls from a toll free number.  When I picked up there was no one there.  Found out it was a sip scanner.  These calls don't show up in my call records in my voip.ms portal.

Found lots of solutions here, but the ones I tried so far didn't work.  Then I went into my voip.ms account and went to "Account Settings" - "Account Restrictions" then down the page to "Allow Calls to Countries" and "click to manage list of allowed countries ".  Under North America click the + button and choose United States, Toll free and Canada (my choices). 

It's been about 2 hrs and no more sip scanner calls, YAY!!!!!!!!!! ;D  Hope this works for you VOIP.MS people and others.

A_Friend

Did the Obi log the calls?  (If so, would be in Status/Call History.)

I'm wondering if there are any clues as to whether they were coming in via SIP URI or to your IP address directly.

Thanks.

redtoy

No, don't see any logs. (unless there's a separate setting for logging calls that I haven't enabled)

redtoy

I do have my Obi 202 in the DMZ of my router.  Thinking to take it out of the DMZ and see if inbound/outbound is affected.  Either way, would be curious as to what the IP address is of the scanner!

A_Friend

Quote from: redtoy on August 16, 2018, 06:58:01 AM
No, don't see any logs. (unless there's a separate setting for logging calls that I haven't enabled)

I don't think it can be disabled, it's on by default and logs the most recent 400 calls.

Did you fire up the local User Interface with a browser at its IP address, log in with admin/admin, and click on Status, Call History?

Taoman

Quote from: redtoy on August 16, 2018, 06:23:23 AM
So, finally seemed to find an easy fix for this!  Every minute or so, night and day I was getting these ghost calls from a toll free number.  When I picked up there was no one there.  Found out it was a sip scanner.  These calls don't show up in my call records in my voip.ms portal.
If the calls don't show up in your call log how do you know they came from a toll free number?

Quote from: redtoyThen I went into my voip.ms account and went to "Account Settings" - "Account Restrictions" then down the page to "Allow Calls to Countries" and "click to manage list of allowed countries ".  Under North America click the + button and choose United States, Toll free and Canada (my choices).
Think about what you've done. You've restricted outbound calls to Canada and the US.
SIP scanners, by their very nature, are inbound calls. Your "easy fix" does nothing to stop SIP scanners.

The "easy fix" to stop SIP scanners is to put the ip address of your VoIP.ms POP server in the X_AccessList field under Service Providers-->ITSP Profile X SIP.

Or if you have a 20x series ATA (which apparently you have) you can also check the X_AcceptSipFromRegistrarOnly field under Voice Services.

You also really should get your OBi out of your DMZ. Having it there leaves it wide open to the world.

redtoy

A_Friend  No, looked from the ObiTalk portal.  Will try the Obi direct ip address entry method and check the call history, thanks.

Taoman  When the phone rang I looked at the caller ID and it showed the toll free number.

Yes, I thought the same thing, that it only restricts outbound and it doesn't make sense. BUT it did work. That was the only change I made and have made no other changes.  I only make one change at a time when troubleshooting.
Prior to this change I did check the X_AcceptSipFromRegistrarOnly field under Voice Services.  It didn't help.

Putting it in the DMZ was a suggestion by ObiTalk FAQ when I was having trouble with no ringing prior to this problem.

Thanks for your input, appreciated.

Taoman

Quote from: redtoy on August 16, 2018, 07:49:33 AM

Prior to this change I did check the X_AcceptSipFromRegistrarOnly field under Voice Services.  It didn't help.

Then the SIP scanners aren't coming in thru your VoIP.ms configuration.

Do you now (or in the past) have any other SP slots configured for a SIP provider?

Really need to look at your call history on your OBi device directly using the local ip address.

redtoy

Taoman  Took Obi out of DMZ.  Perhaps that also was part of the problem. All still good  :) 

Also, call logs do show caller ID of scanner calls. Did have GV as 2nd SP before but not now.

Taoman

Quote from: redtoy on August 16, 2018, 08:11:04 AM

Also, call logs do show caller ID of scanner calls.

And what SP? slot number are they coming in on? Is that the slot number your VoIP.ms is configured on?

redtoy

Ahh!  SP2 !!   Voip.ms is on SP1 so I'll try to disable SP2.

Learning more and more here.