News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

GV on Obi 1062 unreliable

Started by billsimon, August 18, 2018, 04:09:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

billsimon

My Obi 1062 with two Google Voice accounts has recently become unreliable. Firmware is 5.1.11, 4858EX.1311. Every day for the past four days, at some point in the day, the line keys turn orange and the service is unavailable. Status shows "Connect Failed: 404 Not Found (server=64.9.243.108". The only solution is a reboot of the phone.

My hunch is that this is a problem with Google Voice and not the phone itself, but I don't know.

SteveInWA

Hi Bill!

Are you, by chance, using a Google WiFi system?

N7AS

HI Bill,

I have an OBi1032 with the same firmware as yours with no problem.
On a side note, I have MOH setup with a sip uri via Anveo. When I test it from and to a GV number, I put myself on hold and nothing, then my OBi1032 reboots.
When trying it again from and to sip accounts, I don't get my MOH file I created but some generic music. The sip accounts are from a Localphone account to a future-nine account.
When I put in an(jazz) for the MOH it works from GV to GV but generic music from the before mentioned sip accounts.
Would you have any ideas what's happening?

Grant N7AS
Prescott Valley, AZ
https://www.n7as.com

A journeyman electrician sent his apprentice with a 5-gallon bucket and was told to put the ends of the service drop in the bucket and fill it with volts. He was there all day.

billsimon

Quote from: SteveInWA on August 18, 2018, 04:25:59 PM
Hi Bill!

Are you, by chance, using a Google WiFi system?

No. Just a generic wifi on cable internet.

More info: One of the accounts also appears on my Android phone and is in the GV Wifi Beta program. The other account is not. Neither of the accounts is participating in any Asterisk-related interop testing/experimenting.

For some time, I only had one GV account on the phone. I don't recall having this problem then. When I added the second GV account, it was fine for a while, until about four days ago as I mentioned.

SteveInWA

The reason I asked, is that looking up the IP address you posted returns "Google WiFi", which doesn't sound right to me, if you aren't using a Google WiFi mesh router system.  There is a known issue (ironically) with that hardware not working properly with Google Voice in some situations.

If all of the line key LEDs turn amber, then, perhaps, your phone has lost its network connection, not just one of the SPs.  This same behavior can be simulated by powering off your router and waiting a while.

Also, when the LEDs turn amber, wait about 10 minutes, then look at the device status on the OBiTALK dashboard.  If it has a red "Offline" message, vs. just an error next to the SPx, then that's another sign that the entire device lost its connection.

I'd suggest experimenting by removing the OBiWiFi connection and plugging in an Ethernet cable.

SteveInWA

Just as a point of comparison, I've got 2 OBi 1022s, an OBi 1032, an OBi 2182, and each is connected to three different Google accounts, and none of them have dropped the connection in a long time (not this year, anyhow).  All three accounts are enrolled in the VoIP beta.

billsimon

Any idea on the significance of the 404 response? What would "not found" mean with respect to a SIP registration -- especially one that just worked within the last hour? It's funny that both accounts on the phone would get the same response from Google. I also have a SIP account with another provider on this phone, and it stays active when the GV accounts go away. So this is not a general network disruption.

SteveInWA

Beats me, since 404 is about as ambiguous as error 500.  As you know, it's just saying "I tried to connect to this address, and it didn't respond back".  I think that is a symptom/byproduct of whatever your OBi is trying to reach at that point being the wrong destination.

I'm still wondering why it reports that particular (wrong) IP address in the failure.  I wonder if it's a DNS issue?  You said that your non-GV SIP Service Provider still works.  Does the OBiTALK dashboard show the device as "Offline", or does it just show the two GV SPs as not connected?  You could try going into expert mode and setting the DNS servers to Google's DNS, at 8.8.8.8 / 8.8.4.4, or the Quad9 DNS at 9.9.9.9 (https://www.quad9.net/).  Note that there are two different places to set DNS in OBi Expert, depending on whether you are using Ethernet or WiFi.

I know you're an expert, but assuming nothing, did you try power-cycling your router to clear out its cache?

What makes troubleshooting problems with Google Voice unique, is that, since there are so many users, if something is actually failing on Google's side, we quickly see many, many reports of the same error on the GV forum. Nobody is reporting the error you're getting.

I have a couple of test GV accounts that I know work, since they're currently active on my OBi phones.  If you'd like to rule out an account-related issue, PM me and I'd be happy to let you borrow one of the accounts.

A_Friend

Quote from: billsimon on August 18, 2018, 04:09:40 PM
My Obi 1062 with two Google Voice accounts has recently become unreliable. Firmware is 5.1.11, 4858EX.1311. Every day for the past four days, at some point in the day, the line keys turn orange and the service is unavailable. Status shows "Connect Failed: 404 Not Found (server=64.9.243.108". The only solution is a reboot of the phone.

My hunch is that this is a problem with Google Voice and not the phone itself, but I don't know.

It might not be a primary problem with GV itself.  When this happens, see if you can see any signs on your cable modem indicating how long it's been up.  Your cable provider might be doing work on the system during what are normally slack times for most of their users.  Maybe an interruption is bouncing GV offline.

I've seen this in the past, where GV drops and others stay up on the same device (in other words, survive a brief interruption of internet), but that was back when GV was on XMPP.  It might be possible that GV registration connections, even on SIP, are more fragile than those of say, a Callcentric or Voip.ms.  As for what's going on with it when the cable modem came back online, you'd probably need a sniffer to figure that one out.  I can't imagine why it wouldn't simply reregister to the right server.

Another approach is call your cable company and ask them if they're doing work that would briefly interrupt your connection, and when they'll be done.  If that's the cause, you won't need to do anything except wait and see if the problem goes away.

By the way, if this is what's happening, the long term solution is a firmware mod by Obihai to better deal with loss of GV registration.

billsimon

I'm using Cisco OpenDNS for my network. The IP address is what I get when I look up obihai.telephony.goog proxy:

Name:   obihai.telephony.goog
Address: 64.9.243.108

If this keeps up I might try switching at least the phone over to the 8.8.8.8 resolver as you've suggested.

404 seems to be, to the phone, a fatal error, where it doesn't retry. I have let it sit in the failed state for a few hours thinking that it might re-register eventually, but it doesn't seem to try again. Yet when I reboot it comes up right away. If that's so, then I agree with A_Friend that the firmware should handle this error better. Still, I'd like to know why I'm getting it, and others apparently are not.

A_Friend

Quote from: billsimon on August 19, 2018, 12:11:52 PM
Still, I'd like to know why I'm getting it, and others apparently are not.

I think most of us would.  Seriously, call your ISP and ask them if they're doing daily construction work on the system that might affect you.  Time Warner was driving me nuts for a couple weeks earlier this year, shutting the 'net down for an hour or so a day in the middle of the day, and then they were done and everything is hunky-dory again.

And I did need to reboot the Obi's to get GV back after the outages.  Both voip.ms and Callcentric came back on their own.  That was under XMPP, not SIP, so I don't know if that's still related.  We do know that the GV login/registration is more complicated than ordinary SIP because of the tokens.  So, I'm guessing that has something to do with it.

billsimon

After I posted this I decided I would wait until the problem happened again, and then make the DNS changes as an experiment. But for the last week, the problem has not resurfaced. So I am now in a "wait and see" posture. It may have been a short-term problem.

I noticed some other bugs with the 1062 last week that were cleared with a reboot:

* Call progress indicator got stuck on "Trying" even after the call was connected, and the timer did not increment

* Volume up/down button did not work correctly in call

After the reboot, again, the problem hasn't resurfaced. The firmware is the same.

I have worked alongside hardware and software QA teams in the past. These kinds of bugs are the worst because they are hard to reproduce and seem to appear without provocation or reason.

billsimon

Yesterday and today the 1062 has unregistered itself (or failed to re-register, either way) from the configured SIP accounts as well as from the Obitalk dashboard, which reads "device is offline."

Two other SIP devices sitting right next to the 1062, with the same power source, connected to the same Asterisk SIP server and with long uptimes, are working fine.

I do not know what to make of this, but it is flaky.

SteveInWA

I think you bought the phone less than a year ago, right?  If so, I'd open a ticket with Polycom (don't laugh) and ask for a warranty replacement.

However, you can first check this:  I ran into the symptom you describe in the past.  The cause was the power supply.  They may look the same as the ones supplied with the OBi ATAs or other gizmos, but they have a higher current rating.  I was lazy and had plugged the phone into a power supply from an ATA, that was buried under my desk.  The phone would crash as soon as it rang, and sometimes would not be able to reboot.  The supplies for the ATAs are rated at one amp.  The supplies rated for the 1000 series are two amps.