News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

want to make calls showing my work mobile number using the Obi. Possible?

Started by RappLake, August 20, 2018, 05:59:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RappLake

I want to make calls showing my work mobile number using the Obi. Possible?

Im remote area and on satellite where I have NO mobile signal, but do have satellite internet.

My obi is connected to the satellite.

I have google voice. Both my work and personal mobiles are connected to the google voice account and so is my Obi.

Thoughts, please? I am NOT a techie

drgeoff

Not possible if using Google Voice.

The OBi is capable of requesting an ITSP to use a different CallerID from the DID.  However, many ITSPs, including GV, do not honour the request.  That is deliberate policy, not a bug.

drgeoff

Quote from: RappLake on August 20, 2018, 11:30:39 AM
thanks.. i'm not sure what you mean by DID
Direct Inward Dial.  The number that others dial to reach you.

A_Friend

Quote from: RappLake on August 20, 2018, 05:59:55 AM
I want to make calls showing my work mobile number using the Obi. Possible?

Im remote area and on satellite where I have NO mobile signal, but do have satellite internet.

My obi is connected to the satellite.

I have google voice. Both my work and personal mobiles are connected to the google voice account and so is my Obi.

Thoughts, please? I am NOT a techie

Okay, to do this, you need another carrier, and you'll have to pay for the minutes you use.  If you're just going to originate calls, and not receive them, it's pretty straightforward.  You can get an account from (for example, although I recommend either of these) circlenet.biz or voip.ms and set them up to spoof your work mobile number.  You can then originate calls with that Caller ID when you select that service for outbound.

I should add that you don't need a DID for this trick, only outbound service.  There's no monthly charge, no requirement for E911.  You just pay for the minutes.  For Circlenet, it's about 5 minutes for a penny.  Voip.ms is about a penny a minute, which would be worth it if you needed a phone number from them, because the toolkit on their portal is awesome.  For outbound only, it doesn't buy you much over Circlenet, though.

Not sure what you want to do about inbound to your work mobile number.  If you've got no signal, you can't set call forwarding.  You could just let them go to voicemail and pick them up when you're in range of a tower.  What were you planning?  Or are they already forwarded to the GV number?

Taoman

Quote from: A_Friend on August 20, 2018, 12:21:42 PM
If you're just going to originate calls, and not receive them, it's pretty straightforward.

If you're going to be helping/assisting people on this forum I suggest getting your terminology right.

Call origination refers to incoming calls. Origination requires a DID/phone number.
Call termination refers to outgoing calls. Termination does not require a DID/phone number.

drgeoff

Quote from: Taoman on August 20, 2018, 12:43:11 PM
Quote from: A_Friend on August 20, 2018, 12:21:42 PM
If you're just going to originate calls, and not receive them, it's pretty straightforward.

If you're going to be helping/assisting people on this forum I suggest getting your terminology right.

Call origination refers to incoming calls. Origination requires a DID/phone number.
Call termination refers to outgoing calls. Termination does not require a DID/phone number.
I beg to disagree.  You have typed "origination" instead of "termination" and vice-versa.

Taoman

Quote from: drgeoff on August 20, 2018, 12:49:06 PM

I beg to disagree.  You have typed "origination" instead of "termination" and vice-versa.

Really?

QuoteOrigination:
Simply put, origination is incoming calling. It sounds backwards, you're not originating the call, but the name refers to the act of handling the originating call and delivering it to you. Because your number sits with your provider, the call comes to them first, and is then routed on to you. You need a phone number to receive origination service.
QuoteTermination:
On the network, and in the industry, phone calls are seen as having two ends and traveling in one direction (even if there is a whole bunch of back and forth). The originating end is where the call is dialed from, and the terminating end is the party being called. Hence, termination is the act of delivering your outbound calls to the numbers you've dialed. You don't need a phone number to terminate (send) calls.

https://blog.flowroute.com/2014/07/24/voip-origination-and-termination-demystified/

drgeoff

Quote from: Taoman on August 20, 2018, 12:56:01 PM
Quote from: drgeoff on August 20, 2018, 12:49:06 PM

I beg to disagree.  You have typed "origination" instead of "termination" and vice-versa.

Really?

QuoteOrigination:
Simply put, origination is incoming calling. It sounds backwards, you're not originating the call, but the name refers to the act of handling the originating call and delivering it to you. Because your number sits with your provider, the call comes to them first, and is then routed on to you. You need a phone number to receive origination service.
QuoteTermination:
On the network, and in the industry, phone calls are seen as having two ends and traveling in one direction (even if there is a whole bunch of back and forth). The originating end is where the call is dialed from, and the terminating end is the party being called. Hence, termination is the act of delivering your outbound calls to the numbers you've dialed. You don't need a phone number to terminate (send) calls.

https://blog.flowroute.com/2014/07/24/voip-origination-and-termination-demystified/
Not hard to find web pages which say the opposite.  Eg https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Termination_rates
contains:

'The fundamental principle of any telecommunications network is to allow calls originating from a subscriber A to reach a subscriber B, whether on the same network or on another network, commonly known as "any to any connectivity". In more technical terms, traffic, originating from Subscriber A is terminated at a point of destination, Subscriber B, and in order to allow for traffic to be routed and terminated between different operators, "interconnection" must be established.'

Depends on where you are viewing from.  As far as the caller is concerned when he dials a number he is originating a call.  From the ITSP's perspective, their role is to terminate that call.

Taoman

In industry standard VoIP parlance, origination and termination mean exactly what I posted.
I'm amazed you feel differently. Ask anyone in the industry what the terms mean.

IMHO, the example you gave was a poor one. In my view, they were using the term to mean "initiating" a call rather than the more formal VoIP term of "call origination." And the article was about termination rates.

Since you chose to use a wikipedia example so will I.......among others:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Call_origination

https://www.thinq.com/the-ins-and-outs-of-voip/

http://www.itswapshop.com/articles/voip-origination-vs-termination-what-difference-explained

https://www.voip-info.org/voip-termination/

Taoman

Quote from: drgeoff on August 20, 2018, 01:09:48 PM

Depends on where you are viewing from.  As far as the caller is concerned when he dials a number he is originating a call.  From the ITSP's perspective, their role is to terminate that call.

Granted. Which is why I prefer to use the terms incoming calls and outbound calls so there is no confusion.

However, as far as the meaning of "call origination" and "call termination" I stand by my post.

A_Friend

Quote from: Taoman on August 20, 2018, 01:31:34 PM
However, as far as the meaning of "call origination" and "call termination" I stand by my post.

Oh, please.  Unless you're offering termination services wholesale, it's pretty clear what people mean in plain English when they talk about making phone calls vs. receiving them.

Feel free to obfuscate/jargonize your own answers and confuse as many newbies as you like, but it didn't seem appropriate when I was, you know, answering the question that was asked.  I mean, were you confused by my answer, or only livid that I didn't use telco-speak?

Taoman

Quote from: A_Friend on August 20, 2018, 01:58:38 PM

Feel free to obfuscate/jargonize your own answers and confuse as many newbies as you like, but it didn't seem appropriate when I was, you know, answering the question that was asked.  I mean, were you confused by my answer, or only livid that I didn't use telco-speak?

Livid? Seems to me you're the "livid" one because I corrected your choice of terminology.

This is an OBihai/VoIP forum. Using the correct terminology seems like a good thing to do, don't you think?

If noobs pick up the wrong terminology here and then go to a Service Provider and start requesting an origination plan or termination plan things can get confusing because I guarantee the VoIP provider knows the correct meaning of those terms.

I know this thru personal experience. Somewhat embarrassing to get schooled by the Provider over the true meaning of those terms. If using the correct terminology can help someone avoid that kind of situation then I will continue to promote using the correct terminology. Deal with it.

PS. Relax.

A_Friend

Quote from: Taoman on August 20, 2018, 02:23:45 PM
If noobs pick up the wrong terminology here and then go to a Service Provider and start requesting an origination plan or termination plan things can get confusing because I guarantee the VoIP provider knows the correct meaning of those terms.

Pop Quiz:  Show me on the page of any consumer service website (e.g. Circlenet, Voip.ms, or Callcentric) where you sign up for new service, where you'll need to know the word "termination" in advance to order outgoing service.  When it does show up, it's usually paired/clarified with the word "outbound", "outgoing", or something similar. 

It's really not a consumer-grade word.  I never saw it used in POTS world. Doesn't show up on cable company phone "deals," either.  Wholesalers and ITSPs need it, and ITSPs often carry it over to their consumer sites, but when they do, it rarely stands alone.

For non-technical English speakers, "originate" is synonymous with "begin," "make," "initiate," etc. 

I appreciate your desire for clarity, but context is king.

SteveInWA

Here's a "pop quiz" for you:  how many times have we told you that you don't know what you're talking about?

If you keep pulling answers out of your ass, out of some OCD compulsion to answer questions, you are bound to pull out some shit.

SteveInWA

Bottom line, regardless of terminology debates (which I won't wade into), DrGeoff's original answer is correct.

A_Friend

Sheesh...

Bottom line, RappLake:  If you want to spoof a caller ID, you need a back-end service that will do that for you.  The fact that you can't set that on the Obi is irrelevant.

Circlenet will allow you to spoof your work mobile phone.  You set that up under SIP Devices on their customer portal.

Voip.ms will allow you to spoof your work mobile phone.  You set that up under Main Menu/Account Settings/General.  OR you can create a subaccount and use that for your SIP account on the OBi.  Separate subaccounts can have different caller IDs. 

Callcentric can also allow you to spoof a caller ID, but years ago, which is when I last added those IDs, it required opening a help ticket and them verifying your number belonged to you.

Lavarock7

I prefer 'calling out' and 'receiving a call' as technical jargon (while correct), tends to confuse the non-technical user.

We still talk about DIALING when a dial is commonly refereed to as a round device like the ls telephone rotary dials. It makes more sense today to say you are PADding a call using a dial pad.

We call # a crosshatch or pound sign because although the technical term is "Octothorp, octothorpe, octathorp or octatherp" which most of us don't use nor understand.
My websites: Kona Coffee: http://itskona.com and Web Hosting: http://planetaloha.info<br />A simplified Voip explanation: http://voip.planet-aloha.com