News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Are calls possible while mobile?

Started by ddalley, August 20, 2018, 09:32:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ddalley

If I have a Wi-Fi connection while away from my Obi, is it possible to still make/receive calls through my device?

I have looked for relevant instructions, but only see it mentioned with the old, outdated app.

azrobert

If you are using GoogleVoice, you can use the Hangouts app. If you're not using GV or you want to connect to your OBi, there are a few methods you can use. What model OBi and mobile device (Android or iPhone) are you using?

ddalley

I have the 202 and use various Android devices.

I have two GV accounts, one based in the US and one based in the 202 which is outgoing only. I also have a DID account.

I have looked for instructions for using Hangouts, but have found nothing beyond generalities.

azrobert

Android needs to have Hangouts and the Hangouts Dialer installed. Start the Dialer. It's been a long time since I installed Hangouts. I think it will ask you to enter your GV ID and password. Tap on the keypad ICON and you're set to go.

ddalley

Hangouts/GV works fine.

I was wondering if I could dial or receive through my OBi while mobile the way the old app used to allow, so that we use my local number. My Google Voice number is not local to my home area, so callers would be forced to make a long distance call.

It seems like you are suggesting that Hangouts is now being used as a replacement for that functionality.

SteveInWA

All Googly services are accessed via, and attached to, a Google account (Gmail username and password).  Google Voice is one of those services.  You authorized your OBiTALK devices to use the Google Voice service on your accounts.  Hangouts is simply another service attached to your account.  It is a VoIP calling service, and it will make and receive calls using your Google Voice number.  If one of your accounts doesn't have a GV number, then you can still make outbound calls, but no caller ID will be sent.

If you are using an iPhone, download and use the Hangouts app from the Apple App Store.  If you are using an Android phone, download both the Hangouts app and the Hangouts Dialer app from the Google Play Store.  Beware of fake apps with misleading names.

Hangouts uses data connections (e.g. Ethernet, WiFi, 4G) to make and receive calls.

azrobert

Please verify that I understand what you want.
You have a non-GV provider that is your local number.
You want people to be able to call that local number and reach you on your mobile.

What provider are you using?

Solution#1
Get a free SIP account like Callcentric's IP Freedom acct.
Install an SIP softphone on your Android and register it to Callcentric.
Route inbound calls to your Callcentric account/mobile.
Negative: You need 2 apps (softphone and Hangouts)

Solution#2
Inbound the same as #1
Outbound: register the OBi as a 2nd extension on Callcentric.
Call the OBi from your mobile and get connected to the OBi Auto Attendant.
Make outbound calls using the AA.
You can ring the phone attached to the OBi.
Negative: 2 stage outbound dialing.

Solution#3
Get a free SIP2SIP account.
Install CSipSimple softphone on your Android.
You can make and receive calls with CSipSimple.
CSipSimple integrates with your Android and you must use the native dialpad.
Single stage outbound calls.
You can ring the phone attached to the OBi.
Negative: Every time you make a call, the phone will ask whether to use the mobile or CSipSimple.
This is the most complex setup of the 3 solutions.

ddalley

You are absolutely correct as to what I want to be able to have happen.

I want to be able to make and receive local calls through my 202 while mobile. Adding Hangouts sounds interesting but superfluous. Also my main GV# is non-local for dialing in. Without checking, there should be two open slots for more services, if necessary.

My DID service is CallWithUs. It works, but not yet while mobile.

I have an OnSIP account, but have done nothing with it yet.

azrobert

Do you know if CallWithUS will register 2 devices with the same credentials or if you can setup a sub-account (a 2nd extension)? This would be the easiest setup. Just install an SIP softphone on your mobile and register it to CWU then route calls to the OBi and the mobile.

If you can't register your cell to CWU do the following:

I'm not familiar with OnSip
Get a free account at SIP2SIP
https://mdns.sipthor.net/register_sip_account.phtml

Install CSipSimple on your cell.
Add an account.
Use the Basic Wizard

Account Name: SIP2SIP
User: Your UserID
Server: sip2sip.info
Password: Your PW
SAVE

Your account should register to SIP2SIP

Return to the CSipSimple dialpad
Tap Android Menu
Tap Settings
Tap Easy Configuration
Uncheck Integration with Android
Save

Post back after you get the Android to register to SIP2SIP and I'll show you the OBi config.

ddalley

I attempted entering the credentials for two SIP clients (CSipSimple and Xoiper), but there is a confusing naming of terms, so I am not successful yet.

azrobert

I suggested using SIP2SIP and CSipSimple because these are required for the 3rd solution I posted in my Reply#6 above for single stage outbound dialing (no auto attendant). After we get inbound working, you are about 25% away from getting everything working.

You need to use the Basic Wizard to create a CSipSimple account. It's the one with the Android robot ICON. When you created your SIP2SIP account the login name is this format: UserID@sip2sip.info
You use the UserID portion for User.

These are the fields you are asked to complete using the Basic Wizard.
What are you confused about?

Account Name: SIP2SIP
User: Your UserID
Server: sip2sip.info
Password: Your PW
SAVE

ddalley

Quote from: azrobert on August 22, 2018, 09:36:59 PM
What are you confused about?

As I said, the names of some terms aren't identical from company to company. I am sure it's easier and more obvious once one has completed the process once or twice.

I am attempting to use CallWithUs' SIP servers because I already deal with them. In that process I came across a password that I had no record of, so I am still trying to figure things out.

drgeoff

It is most often the case that the password and username that you use to log in to a provider's web site are not the same as the username and password of the VoIP account.

A_Friend

Quote from: ddalley on August 20, 2018, 09:32:40 AM
If I have a Wi-Fi connection while away from my Obi, is it possible to still make/receive calls through my device?

I have looked for relevant instructions, but only see it mentioned with the old, outdated app.

There are several ways to do this.  I've read through the thread , and azrobert has a number of good suggestions.

This method may not be as good, but here's how I do it.  I happen to carry two android phones, but that isn't necessary for this approach.  You could do it on one*.
My home number is with a service that allows me to route the DID to multiple destinations at once.  I've got it set so it rings a subaccount/extension** on my Obi202, another subaccount/extension running on one of my cellphones using Zoiper***, and my other cellphone via its DID.   If I'm away from home and have a good wifi connection, I'll answer the SIP phone, otherwise I'll pick up the cell.   Neither of these routes are using the Obi for anything.  They're coming off the back end of my SIP carrier.

To make a call, again two routes.  If I have wifi, I use Zoiper to make the call directly.  The subaccount I'm using is configured to spoof the home number.  If I don't have wifi, and I want to display my home Caller ID (and I don't want to use my limited lte data), I dial in to AA via a free DID I got from Callcentric and don't use for much else, and dial out from the home number.  If you don't have a good wifi connection, but you have a data plan on your cell and don't mind using it for this, you can forget about setting up AA and just dial directly via the spoofed SIP account.  

* - Some android cellphones let you install SIP accounts in addition to the cell service, and then select which one you want to call out on.  Both will ring on incoming calls.  You can also install Zoiper on a phone that doesn't have that feature and essentially be running two phones in one.  I happen to use two phones, both pay-as-you go, because one service is very, very inexpensive and I've had bad luck with MVNOs going belly up.  My long-term standby is AT&T which isn't going anywhere.  Plus, I'm in a congested area, the MVNO is on Sprint PCS, and sometimes that's better than AT&T's nearest tower and sometimes vice versa.  The two together are costing me about $11/month, so who cares.

** - voip.ms calls them subaccounts, Callcentric calls them extensions.  They perform the same function.  I've done this on both at one time or another.

*** - Zoiper is a free SIP phone app for android.  You don't need it if your native phone dialer will allow you to add SIP accounts.  You can also use any other SIP soft phone that will run on your device.

ddalley

Thanks, A_Friend. I have various devices, too, but I just need to get one working first.

CallWithUs thinks it is as easy as "just install any SIP client on the phone and configure it with the same
username and password like in Obi settings.  Both devices will ring on incoming calls."

I will return to experimenting with this next week.