News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Hangouts Won't Dial My GV Number?

Started by Pedro675, August 21, 2018, 12:41:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pedro675

I recently got a GV number for my land line. I also have Goggle Hangouts which shows my GV number. I was away from home last week and tried to dial home (GV number) from my iPad (Hangouts) - several attempts at the call would not go through.

Is this because both now have the same number and Hangouts thinks it's calling itself? How do people call home from hangouts?

Can I fix this?

Thanks

SteveInWA

Quote from: Pedro675 on August 21, 2018, 12:41:43 PM

Is this because both now have the same number and Hangouts thinks it's calling itself?

Yes.

How do people call home from hangouts?

Can I fix this?

Thanks

Nope.  Use some other method to call home, like a cell phone.

Pedro675

Cell phones cost and mine does not have out of country service.

FaceTime works as an alternative.

azrobert

You can setup a 2nd GV account on your OBi and then call it.

Pedro675

Quote from: azrobert on August 21, 2018, 02:28:01 PM
You can setup a 2nd GV account on your OBi and then call it.

Thanks azrobert, didn't think of that at all. I'll check into it to see if it will work.

Pedro675

This link discusses how to add second number:
https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!msg/voice/rzMno-FS0hk/Ct0kvcWsHAAJ

Not sure I want to do it and certainly don't want to risk loosing my primary GV number.

I'll play with FaceTime for a while. This problem is only when calling home from our iPad.

azrobert

Get a free Callcentric IP Freedom acct.
https://www.callcentric.com/products/

Register your OBi to this account (extension 100).
Define a 2nd extension (101) on Callcentric.
Install an SIP softphone on your iPad and register it to Callcentric as extension 101.
Zoiper is a free softphone.
Call extension 100 from Zoiper.

Pedro675

I should add what I've found after doing some testing and research.

I cannot call a landline using FaceTime, unless I do it through wifi on an iPhone with iCloud. I can call a landline using Skype, but only with a monthly plan - USA calling being the cheapest. Before Microsoft took over Skype I could make free landline calls, did it in Europe several years ago.

Not many options except it seems the method given previously by azrobert.

SteveInWA

From your posts, it sounds like you are located outside of the USA, and/or you refuse to pay for any sort of telephone service.  In that case, do what Robert suggested and get a Callcentric number.  Make that your secret phone-home number, just for that one purpose.

Pedro675

No, located in U.S. No different than anyone else using GV to get free phone service - why do you use it.

I may have to do robert's approach and will investigate.

Pedro675

OK, I got to thinking how GV and Hangouts works and how it's connected to my Goggle email account. I have a second email account. I logged onto that account and opened Hangouts. Hangouts considered this also as a new account.

I then attempted to make a phone call to my home land line and Hangouts said I need to register with a number and they will text a code. I input my cell phone number, got a code. Dialed my home number from that new Hangouts account and VOILA, my home phone rang. This new Hangouts account is not registered to my home number.

I'm pretty sure this is solved but I need to try it from my iPad as I just tried from my MAC. I hope Hangouts is not using my cell phone account to make these calls through the internet. I'll keep track of this.

If anyone has any thoughts, let me know.

Pedro675

SOLVED!

The only way this will work on the iPad is to get the Gmail App from the app store. That is actually the easiest way to view your Gmail anyway. Once you have the app you can create a second account or just enter the second account information you may already have. This allows you to easily switch between accounts on the iPad.

Once that is done you'll need to open Hangouts and you'll see "Manage Accounts" in the top left corner. Click on it and switch off the primary Gmail account button, the one with the home GV number, then switch on the second Gmail account button, which will not be tied to your GV home number. Then just dial home, or any other number.

I'll be using the second Gmail account only to call home in Hangouts.