News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Terrible voice quality

Started by Robaire, September 06, 2011, 10:15:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robaire

You can hear the caller's voice just fine, but you sound very choppy to them.  I'm using Google Voice with an Obi100.

I've hooked it up directly to the modem and via a router (Linksys Valet Plus); same disappointing result.  I applied the latest firmware update.

I'm on cable with 8mb up and 1mb down.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks.

RonR

Check for packet loss or high latency between you and Google Voice.  In a Windows Command Prompt:

C:\>ping /n 100 74.125.157.125

Wait for it to complete and look at the statistics reported at the end.

Robaire

Here are the ping results:
Ping statistics for 74.125.157.125:
    Packets: Sent = 100, Received = 100, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 86ms, Maximum = 154ms, Average = 89ms

RonR

Looks reasonable.

If you make calls from your Gmail account (not using the OBi) do they have the same problems?

Robaire

Nope.  Just called my cable company and the woman said I sounded fine using GV over my land line.  She sounded fine as well.

I'm wondering if I should just send Mr. Obi100 back to Amazon...

RonR

You need to make a couple of test calls using Google Voice through your Gmail account to determine whether the problem is with Google Voice or the OBi.  Log into your Gmail account and make several test calls from the web site with the audio going through your computer speakers and microphone to places that have problems through the OBi.  If they're bad also, it's probably a Google Voice problem.  If they're ok, then the OBi may be the problem.

Robaire

I don't have a mic for my computer.