News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

No dial tone on port 2

Started by Soulcommander, August 23, 2018, 03:56:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Soulcommander

Hello all,

I have an Obi202 and port 2 for my second line has NO dial tone. When I try to call that number it does not ring the phone but it will forward it to my cell like I have it set up.
Everything has been working fine for years until google messed with the software a while back and had incoming call issues etc.... All that seemed to be fixed and now this.

Port 1 is working fine I have a dial tone and can call and receive calls. I have tried flipping the wires around and can get a dial tone on the phones if they are plugged into port 1. So I have it isolated to the obi and or software.
I also noticed when I plug my cordless phone into the non working port 2 my phone says "Line in use" on the display like there is someone on it. Strange.....No dial tone no static no voice nothing.....but line in use.

I also noticed that when I call the non working number for port 2 that the solid green light on port 2 starts to blink and it then forwards my call to the cell like it suppose to after a few rings.

Just an observation and Im not sure if its always done this but the working port 1 constantly flashes if the phone is in use or not.

The non working port 2 stays a sold green until you call the number associated with it then it flashes.

Hope someone can see if this is google voice related as that is the carrier I am using.

I saw some other posts here recently where someone else is having this issue too.

Thanks!

drgeoff

Quote from: Soulcommander on August 23, 2018, 03:56:33 PM
Hello all,

I have an Obi202 and port 2 for my second line has NO dial tone. When I try to call that number it does not ring the phone but it will forward it to my cell like I have it set up.
Everything has been working fine for years until google messed with the software a while back and had incoming call issues etc.... All that seemed to be fixed and now this.

Port 1 is working fine I have a dial tone and can call and receive calls. I have tried flipping the wires around and can get a dial tone on the phones if they are plugged into port 1. So I have it isolated to the obi and or software.
I also noticed when I plug my cordless phone into the non working port 2 my phone says "Line in use" on the display like there is someone on it. Strange.....No dial tone no static no voice nothing.....but line in use.

I also noticed that when I call the non working number for port 2 that the solid green light on port 2 starts to blink and it then forwards my call to the cell like it suppose to after a few rings.

Just an observation and Im not sure if its always done this but the working port 1 constantly flashes if the phone is in use or not.

The non working port 2 stays a sold green until you call the number associated with it then it flashes.

Hope someone can see if this is google voice related as that is the carrier I am using.

I saw some other posts here recently where someone else is having this issue too.

Thanks!

Please do the test that I requested in my reply to your other post.  When nothing is plugged in to PHONE1 socket, does PHONE2 work OK?

The PHONE 1 socket on an OBi202 is wired to support a 2-line phone.  The inner two pins (3 and 4) are the PHONE1 circuit.  Pins 2 and 5 of that socket are hardwired to pins 3 and 4 of the PHONE2 socket.  So it is possible for a fault on whatever is plugged in to PHONE1 socket to be shorting the PHONE2 circuit. And that suspicion is strengthened by your cordless phone saying "Line in use".  Does that message go away when you have nothing plugged in to PHONE1 socket?

If PHONE2 works when PHONE1 socket is empty then there is a problem with whatever is usually plugged in to the PHONE1 socket.  Do you have house wiring and several phones plugged in to PHONE1?  If yes, unplug all the phones.  If PHONE 2 works OK, then one of the phones is the problem.  Try them one at a time to find it.  If the problem occurs with only the house wiring, then the house wiring has developed a fault.

Soulcommander

Did what you asked... When unplugging port 1 port 2 still does not work. Then I put port 1 cordless phone into port 2 it still said line in use and nothing was  plugged in port 1

I then took wire that was in port 2 originally (inside house wiring) and put it in port 1....this is the inside house phone wiring and all the phones worked off of port 1. So I can rule out inside wiring too.

While I was doing this I found another thing......Port 2 which has been solid green started to flash alternately with port 1 while I was talking on port1 line to a friend. As soon as I hung up port 2 went solid and the working port 1 kept blinking.

Not sure if that helps any to narrow something down?

drgeoff

Quote from: Soulcommander on August 23, 2018, 04:59:36 PM
Did what you asked... When unplugging port 1 port 2 still does not work. Then I put port 1 cordless phone into port 2 it still said line in use and nothing was  plugged in port 1

I then took wire that was in port 2 originally (inside house wiring) and put it in port 1....this is the inside house phone wiring and all the phones worked off of port 1. So I can rule out inside wiring too.

While I was doing this I found another thing......Port 2 which has been solid green started to flash alternately with port 1 while I was talking on port1 line to a friend. As soon as I hung up port 2 went solid and the working port 1 kept blinking.

Not sure if that helps any to narrow something down?

Unplug cables from PHONE1 socket and PHONE2 socket and leave both sockets empty.  Disconnect power from the OBi202.  Wait 15 seconds, then reconnect the power.  Wait for the 202's power LED to be steady green.  Is the PHONE1 LED flashing?

Soulcommander

First port 1 and 2 were solid for a few seconds then port 1 started a steady flash every second just like before and yes both ports were unplugged. Port 2 the non dial tone port stayed solid green.

drgeoff

Quote from: Soulcommander on August 23, 2018, 05:23:22 PM
First port 1 and 2 were solid for a few seconds then port 1 started a steady flash every second just like before and yes both ports were unplugged. Port 2 the non dial tone port stayed solid green.

Visually check the two PHONE sockets for bent or broken pins. If nothing obviously wrong, unplug the ethernet connection of the OBi then do a hardware reset and do not reconnect the ethernet. Repeat previous test. If PHONE1 LED still flashing I think you have a hardware fault in the 202.

Soulcommander

Sorry how do you perform a hardware reset and what will this actually do to my settings if anything?

A_Friend

Quote from: Soulcommander on August 23, 2018, 05:50:37 PM
Sorry how do you perform a hardware reset and what will this actually do to my settings if anything?

There are a couple of ways.  The easy way is to key in ***, 8, 1 from the attached phone.  There's also a manual reset button you can press with a paper clip for 10 or 15 seconds.

The hardware reset scrubs every setting to factory new-out-of-the-box condition.  The only thing it doesn't do is roll back your firmware.

drgeoff

Quote from: A_Friend on August 24, 2018, 04:45:40 PM
The hardware reset scrubs every setting to factory new-out-of-the-box condition. 
More accurately:

A hardware reset does not put every setting back to as they were on that particular box when it was manufactured.  Nor does it put everything to the state they are on a new box being manufactured at the instant of the reset.

What it does do is reset all the configuration parameters to the default values for the version of firmware that is on the box at the time of the reset.

Soulcommander

I am assuming here that I also need to delete the device here on obitalk dashboard area too?  So after the reset do I just go about setting it up as if I just bought it?

Soulcommander

Did the factory reset according to the online Obihai instructions that happen to be a little different than was in the manual I have for my unit.....BUT the problem still exists.  I have only had the 202 since the first of Feb 2016 can't beleive that I have had a port die already..............
Looks Like I will be buying another from Amazon.
Unless you can think of another idea?

drgeoff

Quote from: Soulcommander on August 25, 2018, 01:38:25 PM
Did the factory reset according to the online Obihai instructions that happen to be a little different than was in the manual I have for my unit.....BUT the problem still exists.  I have only had the 202 since the first of Feb 2016 can't beleive that I have had a port die already..............
Did you listen for dial tone on PHONE2 port before connecting the ethernet cable after the reset?  And did the PHONE1 LED still flash incorrectly before connecting the ethernet cable after the reset?

Assuming yes, after putting the 202 back on your dashboard, use the Expert mode and click on Status, then on PHONE Status.  Report all the info there.

A_Friend

IF you're handy, own screwdrivers, a soldering iron, and a magnifying glass, and don't care if you break anything worse than it already is...

You MIGHT want to open the unit up and have a close look at the board where the Phone 2 port is soldered on.  Look for cracks in the traces and cold solder joints.  Also, inspect the connector carefully for bent/stuck contacts, debris, etc.

We read here a couple weeks ago about someone who may have had a static surge in his house phone wiring.  While it was plugged into one port, both ports ended up dead, without affecting the microprocessor, memory or ethernet side of the unit.  While I'm maybe reading too much into that, it suggests that both ports are sharing at least one chip.  So, if one port on your unit is still working, maybe it's not an electronics failure, just something mechanical/electrical?  Might be worth a look if you're the handy type.  Otherwise, leave it alone.  It's perfectly functional as an Obi200 and you might find a use for it somewhere else.

SteveInWA

Quote from: A_Friend on August 25, 2018, 03:52:09 PM

IF you're handy, own screwdrivers, a soldering iron, and a magnifying glass, and don't care if you break anything worse than it already is...

You MIGHT want to open the unit up and have a close look at the board where the Phone 2 port is soldered on.  Look for cracks in the traces and cold solder joints.  Also, inspect the connector carefully for bent/stuck contacts, debris, etc.

We read here a couple weeks ago about someone who may have had a static surge in his house phone wiring.  While it was plugged into one port, both ports ended up dead, without affecting the microprocessor, memory or ethernet side of the unit.  While I'm maybe reading too much into that, it suggests that both ports are sharing at least one chip.  So, if one port on your unit is still working, maybe it's not an electronics failure, just something mechanical/electrical?  Might be worth a look if you're the handy type.  Otherwise, leave it alone.  It's perfectly functional as an Obi200 and you might find a use for it somewhere else.

You have become such a f-ing PITA with your compulsive mansplaining answers, with no actual knowledge of how things work.  People do not need your speculation and guesses.

OBiTALK devices are a textbook example of modern, modular engineering, using functional blocks that communicate  with each other.  There are no user-serviceable parts inside, and no, there are no "cracks" or "cold solder traces".  There aren't people with green eyeshades and soldering irons manually making these things.  Automated wave soldering machines do it perfectly.

The device consists of a custom, ARM-based "system on a chip" (SoC), a flash memory chip, RAM, and a SLIC (Subscriber Line Interface Circuit) module.  There are a small number of discrete components.  The SLIC is a complete, large-scale integrated solution that includes its own DC power converter, microcontroller and interfaces to the SOC and to the analog phone jack(s).  The SLIC is a FCC-registered device.  There are no discrete components that you can unsolder and replace yourself (unless you have the expensive equipment to do SMT device removal and replacement).

Given the SoC is alive and well, the only possible failure modes are permanent damage to the SLIC module or, as DrGeoff points out, possibly bent pins on the phone jack(s).

A_Friend

Quote from: SteveInWA on August 25, 2018, 04:40:03 PM
Given the SoC is alive and well, the only possible failure modes are permanent damage to the SLIC module or, as DrGeoff points out, possibly bent pins on the phone jack(s).

The ONLY possible failures?  What about stress from abuse, like tripping over a phone cord and bouncing the unit?

Stuff breaks.  His unit is broken.  You think the SLIC just half-died on its own?  While it may be possible, it's no more so than the jack getting wrenched off the board, or a bit of debris stuck in the jack.

I'm sorry a bit of semi-informed speculation bugs the heck out of you, but in the absence of a definitive answer, that's all there is.  SoulCommander asked if there was ANYTHING he could do.  You don't think he deserves an answer, fine.  I did.

As one of my favorite columnists says, "It's only advice, not binding arbitration."

And for the record, my wife's Google Nexus tablet suffered a similar fate.  The charge jack (a micro-usb) got stressed and one conductor popped free of the board.  Yes, surface mount, but a cold solder joint nonetheless, and easily fixed once found.  And fixed with an ordinary pencil-tip soldering iron.  That tablet cost 6 times what an Obi202 goes for and is built with the same technology.  The Obi202 is a HECK of a lot easier to get apart than that tablet was. 

Soulcommander

Quote from: drgeoff on August 25, 2018, 01:55:13 PM
Did the factory reset according to the online Obihai instructions that happen to be a little different than was in the manual I have for my unit.....BUT the problem still exists.  I have only had the 202 since the first of Feb 2016 can't beleive that I have had a port die already..............
Did you listen for dial tone on PHONE2 port before connecting the ethernet cable after the reset?  And did the PHONE1 LED still flash incorrectly before connecting the ethernet cable after the reset?

Assuming yes, after putting the 202 back on your dashboard, use the Expert mode and click on Status, then on PHONE Status.  Report all the info there.

I did and there was no tone......
Here is what you requested....

Port Status
Parameter Name
Value
OBiTALK
Settings

State
On Hook

LoopCurrent
0 mA

VBAT
57 V (11.8 V)

TipRingVoltage
45 V

LastCallerInfo
'3193933655' 13193933655

Port Status
Parameter Name
Value
OBiTALK
Settings

State
Off Hook

LoopCurrent
20 mA

VBAT
14 V

TipRingVoltage
1 V

LastCallerInfo
--

Soulcommander

Quote from: SteveInWA on August 25, 2018, 04:40:03 PM
Quote from: A_Friend on August 25, 2018, 03:52:09 PM

[/quote

No bent pins.....

The non working port is plugged into the house wiring. Century link told me the wired were not connected at the post but when I looked at the box on the house I saw the wires that are underground leading to the phone companies post were connected at the house. I Unconnected them to be on the safe side although it has been like this for a long time without any issues.   The working plug is hooked up to a wireless phone base.

Soulcommander

Sorry to post yet another question....But If I do have to end up replacing the obi 202 what if anything do I have to do with the Obion software on my cell that has the Original Obi # ???? will the Obion software automatically pick that up from my email etc and put in the new Obi #?  I am referring to the number each Obi has on the box itself.  Thanks again for your expert help!

drgeoff

Were those Status readings taken with nothing plugged in to both PHONE1 and PHONE2 sockets?

And you did not answer my question about PHONE1 LED flashing.

Soulcommander

Quote from: drgeoff on August 27, 2018, 02:06:00 PM
Were those Status readings taken with nothing plugged in to both PHONE1 and PHONE2 sockets?

And you did not answer my question about PHONE1 LED flashing.

Yes also phone 1 was still flashing.........

And these reading are with both ports with phones plugged in