News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

No dial tone on port 2

Started by Soulcommander, August 23, 2018, 03:56:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Soulcommander

Here are the results with NO phones in either port and a reboot.  No power wait 30 sec and power back no phones plugged in......

Port Status
Parameter Name
Value
OBiTALK
Settings

State
On Hook

LoopCurrent
0 mA

VBAT
57 V (11.8 V)

TipRingVoltage
45 V

LastCallerInfo
--

Port Status
Parameter Name
Value
OBiTALK
Settings

State
Off Hook

LoopCurrent
19 mA

VBAT
14 V

TipRingVoltage
1 V

LastCallerInfo
--

drgeoff

If by "no phones plugged in" you really mean nothing at all in the OBi's PHONE1 and PHONE2 jacks, then it is conclusive that there is a hardware fault internal to the OBi.  The status of both ports should be the same.  As you can see, the OBi thinks that PHONE2 port is off-hook.  Current is going somewhere and the tip-ring voltage is way down.

I'd still suspect that PHONE2 port has been damaged by exposure to external voltage.  Either by virtue of that port being connected to house wiring or PHONE1 port being connected to house wiring by a 4 conductor cord.

A_Friend

The betting money is on DrGeoff's diagnosis, that the unit was fried by an external voltage.  But if you're in to chasing down and eliminating any other possibiities...

Your Phone2 port's readings look remarkably like a hard short.  Are you sure there's nothing in that rj11 socket?  Maybe a hair-width strand of copper wire?  Give it a careful looking over with a very bright flashlight and reading glasses.  And maybe a toothpick to probe between the wires, fish out any hair, dust bunnies, etc.

Has the unit been seriously dropped or banged?  Not just bumped, but like knocked across the room or onto a stone floor?  If the jack is externally clean, it's either an electronic failure straight up, or a very slight possibly of an electrical problem caused by breakage or debris inside the unit, causing a short.

Soulcommander

Quote from: drgeoff on August 27, 2018, 04:43:38 PM
If by "no phones plugged in" you really mean nothing at all in the OBi's PHONE1 and PHONE2 jacks, then it is conclusive that there is a hardware fault internal to the OBi.  The status of both ports should be the same.  As you can see, the OBi thinks that PHONE2 port is off-hook.  Current is going somewhere and the tip-ring voltage is way down.

I'd still suspect that PHONE2 port has been damaged by exposure to external voltage.  Either by virtue of that port being connected to house wiring or PHONE1 port being connected to house wiring by a 4 conductor cord.

That is correct nothing was plugged in ports one or two. I have now received an obi202 new unit. I am hoping there is nothing in the wiring that shorted this out. At least now I have the pairs that were running underground up to my house disconnected from the outside Terminal box on the side of my house. A few weeks ago we did have some very severe thunderstorms and lightning was striking all around us. I just can't determine when the problem occurred with the OB exactly because the no dial tone line... line 2, is used for faxing and to receive family calls, not used as often...... Port one is our standard telephone number we've had since 1980. The only other thing I did was replacing the network switch with a brand new one but I've done that quite some time ago and I know the obihai was working fine at that time. It has not been dropped or abused and is in my living room and it's very clean! Haven't messed with any of the jack's or anything like that to cause this. The only thing I can assume is the telephone company never disconnected the main line from the post that is sticking up in our backyard that feeds our house and a few of the neighbors homes. I don't know if that is possible since we haven't had telephone service for over 10 years. Does the phone company normally take your wiring off the pedestal when you disconnect and no longer have service with them? that is what I would really like to find out now because if something did come down the line through the phone companies wiring I can see that being the likely cause. Or something electronic just gave way inside the unit.

drgeoff

Phone companies have their own policies but I wouldn't expect them to go to the expense of a truck-roll to disconnect a line at or near the customer's end.  More easily done at the local office either physically at the jumper frame or these days electronically by a few taps on a keyboard.

Usually when an internal part on a 202 dies (as opposed to being damaged by external factor) it is a part that stops both phone ports working.

Soulcommander

I see, they kind of both are not working....True Phone 1 works but blinks all the time like it is off hook but reports its not, Phone 2 does not work has a solid green light like it is ok but reports its off hook.  At least I think I got that right.  LOL

So I think I will hook up the new one.
Do you know when I do will the Obion app on my cell pick up the Obi number change?

drgeoff

Quote from: Soulcommander on August 28, 2018, 01:35:29 PM
Do you know when I do will the Obion app on my cell pick up the Obi number change?

No, you will need to do that yourself.

Soulcommander

Ok thanks....And thanks for the support. I did talk to Century Link tech they were nice enough to talk with me even though I have not had service for years......They did confirm its not disconnected at the ped.  So indeed we might be looking at a surge of sorts thru that outside line. Glad that wont be an issue anymore. Lesson learned there....Just wish I can prove thats what caused it.

Soulcommander

:D In conclusion I replaced the Unit and all is working like normal again. I checked the power supply on the old unit and the voltage was 12.6 with a fluctuating amp reading up to 1.6

I want to thank everyone for their help once again, especially drgeoff.  If you all were not here we would be in the dark.

Thanks!

Soulcommander
aka Larry   :)