News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Dumb Google Voice question: please don't judge me lol

Started by pointbob, August 25, 2018, 08:08:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pointbob

Hi all..el stupido here

I currently have google voice/obi200 with a google allocated phone number.

I'd like to use another google voice phone number (recently confirmed by google with a separate gmail acct) for a work project for 2 weeks and then revert to my previous long term google number after that.

Can someone just provide an easy step guide as to how to switch between the two google voice phone numbers/gmail accounts via the obi website? do i just delete the old google voice number and reset the obi200? is there a simpler method..preferably foolproof lol. Also how long before the 2nd number is active? a day/ an hour?

thank you!!

SteveInWA

Hi:  that's not a dumb question.  Dumb questions are from people who refuse to accept that the service can't do what they expect it to do.

Your OBi 200 can simultaneously connect to up to four different Google accounts.  Google Voice is a service, just like Gmail, Docs, Maps, Calendar, etc.  All Google services are assigned to/accessed via a Google account (either a consumer Gmail address or a G Suite domain address).  When you set up your OBi with your original Google Voice service, you gave that Google account permission to access the Google Voice service on that account.

Now, simply go back to your OBiTALK dashboard again:  http://www.obitalk.com/obinet/pg/obhdev and click on SP2 (or whatever is the next open SPx slot), to set it up with your other Google/Gmail/GV account. It will eventually pop up a box showing you the Gmail accounts you are signed-into on your browser.  Pick the correct one, and it will set up that SPx for that account.  You do not need to disturb your original one, which will continue to work.

A_Friend

To add a bit to SteveInWA's answer, once you have both accounts set up, incoming calls on both numbers will automatically ring to your phone.  If you want, you can choose different ring patterns for them.  Under the Voice Services SP1 and SP2, you'll find a setting called X_RingProfile.

If you want to call out on the second number (SP2), you can designate it on individual calls a couple of ways.  One is to precede the number you're dialing with **2.  Another is to include that in the speed dial.

If you want to exclusively call out on SP2 for some period, you can change a setting on Physical Interfaces/Phone Port 1.  The setting is called Primary Line. 

After you submit your changes, you might want to reboot.

drgeoff

Quote from: A_Friend on August 25, 2018, 09:07:11 PMIf you want, you can choose different ring patterns for them.  Under the Voice Services SP1 and SP2, you'll find a setting called X_RingProfile.
Indeed there is such a setting.  But further down that page is X_DefaultRing which selects 1 of the 10 ring cadences available in each of the two profiles.

A_Friend

Quote from: drgeoff on August 26, 2018, 01:38:57 AM
Indeed there is such a setting.  But further down that page is X_DefaultRing which selects 1 of the 10 ring cadences available in each of the two profiles.

Interesting...   I never changed that setting, only the X_RingProfile one, and I'm definitely getting two distinct rings.  The choices "A" and "B" are sufficient to distinguish between incoming calls.