Erratic Incoming Calls Via Google Voice-Numbers to Mobile Phones Possible Cause?

Started by Marc4866, August 26, 2018, 01:53:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marc4866

OBi 202 Version 3.2.2 ( Build 5898EX) Had been running flawlessly 1.5 Years until recently when randomly our "Home" Phone via Google Voice would Ring Only Once, but our Mobile Phones that I Linked in Google Voice would Ring and connect with the calling party. I Reset to Factory state the 202, and reinitialized the Google Voice Account to it.... Same single ring Issue on random incoming calls to the home. I then deleted the Google Voice two linked mobile phone numbers and had the same caller try again. The Home Phone now Rang and I was able to field the call. This seemed to resolve the issue, though I will need to continue testing with other callers to verify this. It couldn't be this easy as a FIX....  What am I missing here?

Am I correct that  Version 3.2.2 ( Build 5898EX) is the latest?

I've gone through all the possible (that I could think of) causes for this, including deleting EVERY Blocked SPAM Number in case this was a factor.

If anyone has any ideas, it would be appreciated if you could share your thoughts on how to confirm and resolve this.....   :'(

SteveInWA

Hi Marc:

This is typically caused by one of your linked/forwarding phone numbers, which is grabbing the call and answering it before the other forwarding destinations can do so.  Now that you have removed all of your forwarding phone numbers, first prove that the problem truly went away -- try having several different callers, on different carriers, call your GV number, and see what happens.  If it is now working as it should, start by linking one of your forwarding phone numbers again, and then re-test.  Repeat this until you find the culprit.

Note that you should not have any linked/forwarding phone numbers that are not in service, nor should any of the forwarding phone numbers have unconditional/immediate call forwarding enabled.

Marc4866

Steve...

Thank you for your suggestions as I am still in process of confirming the forwarded numbers are indeed the culprit here.

Some follow up questions for you:

1) This issue is a new problem.....  I had changed nothing for it to begin.  Why now? I realize this may not have an answer...

2) "unconditional/immediate call forwarding enabled"......  Where is this located so I can confirm its not enabled?

3) "you should not have any linked/forwarding phone numbers that are not in service" Does this "Not In Service" apply if for example if one of our Mobile Phone numbers may simply be Turned OFF???? 

SteveInWA

1) I can't say conclusively, until you can report back on what you found with each of your forwarding numbers.  Something changed with either the way you are using that phone and its number, or with that number's service.

2) Call forwarding is a service that your mobile or land line service provider would offer.  You change the settings by one of two ways: 

If the service provider supports call forwarding (some carriers don't, and some charge an optional/extra fee), then you enter commands on the phone's touch-tone keypad.  For example, a user has a T-Mobile phone number, and they want to use it as a linked number with Google Voice, such that unanswered or busy calls that reach the cell phone should be bounced back to Google Voice's voicemail.  Assume their GV number is 12138675309.  They would enter this string on their phone:  **004*12138675309# and touch send.

Some carriers provide a web portal for their customers to control these features.  Three examples are Verizon Wireless, Ting, and Republic Wireless.  In those cases, you can sign into your account with that service provider, and make the settings there.

The reason you need to do this, leads to your third question:

3) If a forwarding phone does have working/paid phone service, but that phone is turned off, or busy, then that phone carrier's voicemail service will immediately answer the call and take the message, thus preventing any of your other forwarding phones to have a chance to ring.  If that forwarding phone number was canceled/abandoned (you no longer have service on that number, but forgot to remove it from your Google Voice linked numbers list), then, some months later, when that carrier recycles the number and provides service on it to another customer, THAT customer will be getting your phone calls.

Marc4866

Pinning down if it's due to the Call Forwarding that's grabbing the calls will hopefully confirm this.  It's a start.
While reviewing all the settings, I did find in Google Voice Legacy under "GROUPS & CIRCLES" that ANONYMOUS CALLERS was Set to "ON"..... I've now Set it to "OFF"..... Nothing else on this TAB was "on"... I'm thinking possibly if any of my Callers were coming through as Anonymous that this might have caused the issue... or at least compounded it.

I'll let you know if it has changed anything.....

Carly

In case you're battling with horrible sounding telephone calls, there are a couple of various things you can do to settle them. How a call is encoded can influence how it sounds. For the most astounding quality calls, you need to ensure your're utilizing "HD Voice," a well known component that has been accessible on most gadgets for a considerable length of time. HD Voice is a decent begin, yet on the off chance that the telephone you're calling isn't good with yours, HD Voice won't encourage much. Or you can setup your mobile comparison website to see if this mobile iis compatible with this connection. There are two fundamental reasons this can occur: it is possible that you're utilizing diverse bearers that depend on contending measures, or one of the telephones is feeling the loss of some key innovation. On the off chance that you don't have a craving for sitting tight for your transporter to start thinking responsibly, you could discard your telephone application completely and have a go at something different. Administrations like Apple's FaceTime, Google Duo, WhatsApp, Facebook Messenger, and Telegram all offer telephone brings over information and wifi—accepting your association isn't being stuck up by your flat mates or family.