News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Google Voice Set-Up

Started by martinsmithson, August 26, 2018, 07:02:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

martinsmithson

On my existing OBi200, with 4 lines (SP1, SP2, SP3 and SP4) active, the system is not updating my changes.

Selecting "Google Voice Set-Up" for SP1, then I enter a USER NAME and PASSWORD associated with a different GOOGLE VOICE phone number, Configure Voice Service Providers (SP) shows the new info, but the OBi system does not update the number.  Meaning, it does not matter what I enter for USER NAME and PASSWORD, it may appear updated, but the number does not ring through my OBi200.

I have attempted several times, waited several hours, rebooted my OBi200 multiple times, and the OBi system refuses to RING the number associated with any different USER NAME and PASSWORD.

No matter what I enter, the OBi system continues to ring on the original SP1 number.

It seems reasonable to conclude the OBi system is to blame.

How long to FIX this problem, OBi Technology?

Aggravated again,

Martin

SteveInWA

Your post doesn't make sense.  At no time do you ever enter a user name and password to set up Google Voice on an OBi.  So, why are you not following the standard OBiTALK portal procedure to add or change the SP1--Sp4 configurations?

martinsmithson

Quote from: SteveInWA on August 26, 2018, 07:33:08 PM
Your post doesn't make sense.  At no time do you ever enter a user name and password to set up Google Voice on an OBi.  So, why are you not following the standard OBiTALK portal procedure to add or change the SP1--Sp4 configurations?

You state, "At no time do you ever tenter a user name and password to set up Google Voice on an OBi."

ON THE  "DEVICE CONFIGURATION - OBi200" PAGE ASSOCIATED WITH MY OBi200 DEVICE, LOCATED DIRECTLY BELOW THE WORDS "Google Voice Set-Up" ARE TWO ICONS, ONE ICON IS SHAPED LIKE A TRASH CAN ICON (corresponding to the function "Delete SPX" where X = 1, 2, 3 or 4) AND THE OTHER ICON IS SHAPED LIKE A GEAR ON THE HUB OF A SINGLE SPEED BICYCLE'S REAR TIRE (corresponding to the function "Edit Service Provider X" where X = 1, 2, 3 or 4). 

IF I HAVE NOT ALREADY SIGNED INTO THE GOOGLE VOICE ACCOUNT THAT I WOULD LIKE TO ASSIGN TO SP1, ONCE I CLICK ON THE GEAR-SHAPED ICON, AN OBi WINDOW OPENS UP WITH THE TITLE "Emergency Service Calls" STATING "By selecting 'Accept' you acknowledge that the service you are about to enable may not be capable of placing or receiving emergency service calls. You are advised to inform those who use the service of this fact and provide an alternative means to reach emergency services, E.g. a landline or a mobile phone." AND ONCE I CLICK THE "ACCEPT" BUTTON, A NEW SCREEN IS OPENED WHICH ALLOWS ME THE OPPORTUNITY TO "Replace Google Account Credentials" BY CLICKING ON THE UNDERLINED LINK THAT READS "Click Here to connect the OBi with your active Google Account" AND WHEN I CLICK THIS LINK A GOOGLE WINDOW POPS OPEN LABELED "Sign in - Google Accounts - Opera" WHICH REQUIRES ME TO ENTER A USER NAME (as an email address) AND PASSWORD.  I TRUST I DO NOT HAVE TO CONTINUE TO EXPLAIN THE GOOGLE-RELATED DETAILS AT THIS POINT.

ONCE I COMPLETE THE GOOGLE-RELATED TASKS, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO ENTERING A USER NAME (as an email address) AND PASSWORD, THE GOOGLE-RELATED WINDOW CLOSES, AND THE OBi WEB PAGE ASSOCIATED WITH "Replace Google Account Credentials" FORWARDS ME BACK TO THE OBi "Device Configuration - OBi200" WEB PAGE WHERE I SEE ALL SP's ASSOCIATED WITH SP1, SP2, SP3 and SP4.  WHEN I CLICK ON THE GEAR SHAPED ICON (again) AND PROCEED WITH THE SAME PROCESS (noted above) TO VERIFY THE EMAIL ADDRESS ASSOCIATED WITH THE "Replace Google Account Credentials" PROCESS.

AFTER CONFIRMING THE EMAIL ADDRESS ASSOCIATED WITH THE "Replace Google Account Credentials" PROCESS HAS UPDATED PROPERLY, I EXPECT SP1 (as is the case here) TO NOW RING THE GOOGLE ACCOUNT USER NAME (email address) AND PASSWORD THAT I ENTERED DURING THE GOOGLE-RELATED PROCESS (noted above).  UNFORTUNATELY, AS PREVIOUSLY DESCRIBED (obviously in the poorest manner humanly possible - given SteveInWA's response) IN MY INITIAL POSTING, SP1 CONTINUES TO RING ON THE "... the original SP1 number..." TOTALLY IGNORING THE FACT THAT I Replaced the Google Account Credentials.

I have attempted several times, waited several hours, rebooted my OBi200 multiple times, and the OBi system refuses to RING the number associated with any different GOOGLE USER NAME (email address) and PASSWORD.

No matter what I enter, the OBi system continues to ring on the original SP1 number.

It seems reasonable to conclude the OBi system is to blame.

How long to FIX this problem, OBi Technology?

Aggravated again,

Martin

SteveInWA

You are not understanding how Google Voice works on your OBi device.

Google Voice is a service, just like Gmail, Calendar, Docs, Maps, etc.  All Google services belong to (are assigned to) a Google Voice account.  Google Voice, by itself, has no username and password, it is simply something that is accessed once you sign into the Google account.

When you set up Google Voice on an OBiTALK device, say, on SP1, you go through the procedure you described.  The goal of the procedure is to give OBiTALK permission to access just the Google Voice service on a given Google/Gmail account.  The email address and password you enter are on a Google website, not OBiTALK.  This permission is for the service on the account; whatever Google Voice telephone number that happens to be assigned to that account will be used.

So, you need to go figure out which of your Google/Gmail accounts holds which Google Voice phone number.  You then need to configure your desired SP1--SP4 slots to use the various accounts.  When you do that, you must pay close attention to what you are doing, because Google allows multiple accounts to be signed into the same web browser at the same time.  So, you could accidentally select the wrong account -- look closely at the Gmail address it displays.

In conclusion:  there is nothing broken.  There is nothing that Polycom needs to fix.  It's operator error.

martinsmithson

Quote from: SteveInWA on August 27, 2018, 12:26:25 AM

Google Voice is a service, just like Gmail, Calendar, Docs, Maps, etc.  All Google services belong to (are assigned to) a Google Voice account.  Google Voice, by itself, has no username and password, it is simply something that is accessed once you sign into the Google account.

When you set up Google Voice on an OBiTALK device, say, on SP1, you go through the procedure you described.  The goal of the procedure is to give OBiTALK permission to access just the Google Voice service on a given Google/Gmail account.  The email address and password you enter are on a Google website, not OBiTALK.  This permission is for the service on the account; whatever Google Voice telephone number that happens to be assigned to that account will be used.

So, you need to go figure out which of your Google/Gmail accounts holds which Google Voice phone number.  You then need to configure your desired SP1--SP4 slots to use the various accounts.  When you do that, you must pay close attention to what you are doing, because Google allows multiple accounts to be signed into the same web browser at the same time.  So, you could accidentally select the wrong account -- look closely at the Gmail address it displays.

In conclusion:  there is nothing broken.  There is nothing that Polycom needs to fix.  It's operator error.

GO AWAY, SteveInWA.  GO FAR FAR FAR AWAY.

I have been using OBihai devices for years and have described the problem precisely - unlike your generic and self-indulgent pontifications.

I have changed Google Voice numbers multiple times over the years on OBi202, and OBi100, and the newest OBi200 in the EXACT METHOD described.

This is NOT operator error.

GO AWAY, SteveInWA.  GO FAR FAR FAR AWAY.

LTN1

Quote from: martinsmithson on August 27, 2018, 05:59:26 AM
Quote from: SteveInWA on August 27, 2018, 12:26:25 AM

Google Voice is a service, just like Gmail, Calendar, Docs, Maps, etc.  All Google services belong to (are assigned to) a Google Voice account.  Google Voice, by itself, has no username and password, it is simply something that is accessed once you sign into the Google account.

When you set up Google Voice on an OBiTALK device, say, on SP1, you go through the procedure you described.  The goal of the procedure is to give OBiTALK permission to access just the Google Voice service on a given Google/Gmail account.  The email address and password you enter are on a Google website, not OBiTALK.  This permission is for the service on the account; whatever Google Voice telephone number that happens to be assigned to that account will be used.

So, you need to go figure out which of your Google/Gmail accounts holds which Google Voice phone number.  You then need to configure your desired SP1--SP4 slots to use the various accounts.  When you do that, you must pay close attention to what you are doing, because Google allows multiple accounts to be signed into the same web browser at the same time.  So, you could accidentally select the wrong account -- look closely at the Gmail address it displays.

In conclusion:  there is nothing broken.  There is nothing that Polycom needs to fix.  It's operator error.

GO AWAY, SteveInWA.  GO FAR FAR FAR AWAY.

I have been using OBihai devices for years and have described the problem precisely - unlike your generic and self-indulgent pontifications.

I have changed Google Voice numbers multiple times over the years on OBi202, and OBi100, and the newest OBi200 in the EXACT METHOD described.

This is NOT operator error.

I suggest you not respond with repetitious phrases if you want to engage in a troubleshooting discussion...it gives you the appearance, at least to some, that you aren't all mentally there.

State your case calmly and post as many screenshots if you can. If the OBi forum isn't allowing the attachments of screenshots, perhaps post them elsewhere with a link in your reply so we can see exactly what you are trying to portray.

martinsmithson

Quote from: LTN1 on August 27, 2018, 06:09:21 AM

I suggest you not respond with repetitious phrases if you want to engage in a troubleshooting discussion...it gives you the appearance, at least to some, that you aren't all mentally there.

State your case calmly and post as many screenshots if you can. If the OBi forum isn't allowing the attachments of screenshots, perhaps post them elsewhere with a link in your reply so we can see exactly what you are trying to portray.

YOU POINT IS RECOGNIZED CONDITIONALLY IF AND ONLY IF YOU ALSO RECOGNIZE SteveInWA's RESPONSES REPRESENT HARASSMENT AND EXACERBATION . . . WHY . . . BECAUSE IT IS SteveInWA WHOM IS "...not understanding how Google Voice works..." ON THIS "...OBi device" AND YET HE BELIEVES HIS UNDERSTANDING IS CORRECT AND NO MATTER WHAT I DESCRIBE (however precise) I DO NOT UNDERSTAND AN IOTA . . . ACCORDINGLY, TO USE YOUR WORDS, IMO, SteveInWA MAY NOT BE "...all mentally there."

martinsmithson

Quote from: LTN1 on August 27, 2018, 06:09:21 AM

>> SNIP DERISION <<<

>> SNIP SNIP SNIP SNIP SNIP post as many screenshots if you can. If the OBi forum isn't allowing the attachments of screenshots, perhaps post them elsewhere with a link in your reply so we can see exactly what you are trying to portray.

Interestingly, LTN1, while you were commenting, I was completing annotations on several screen shot captures that correspond to the precise details I added in my second reply to which SteveInWA concluded, "...there is nothing broken.  There is nothing that Polycom needs to fix.  It's operator error."

SCREEN SHOT IMAGES FOLLOW

0 - GOOGLE VOICE SETUP @ https://www.google.com/voice FOR "EXISTING OBi200 SP1 ACCOUNT"
(verified - CONFIGURATION PRIOR TO EXECUTING OBi200 "Replace Google Account Credentials")

1 - GOOGLE VOICE SET-UP

2 - GOOGLE VOICE SET-UP

3 - GOOGLE VOICE SET-UP

4 - GOOGLE VOICE SET-UP

5 - GOOGLE VOICE SET-UP

6 - GOOGLE VOICE SET-UP

7 - GOOGLE VOICE SET-UP

8 - GOOGLE VOICE SET-UP

9 - GOOGLE VOICE SET-UP (confirmed - Configuration has been uploaded successfully)

10 - GOOGLE VOICE SET-UP (confirmed - Configuration has been uploaded successfully)

11 - GOOGLE VOICE SETUP @ https://www.google.com/voice FOR "REPLACED CREDENTIALS OBi200 SP1 ACCOUNT"
(verified - CONFIGURATION AFTER EXECUTING OBi200 "Replace Google Account Credentials"
where OBi SYSTEM STATES "Configuration has been uploaded successfully)"